Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried one of these?
    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...c-2-in-1-.html
    The great thing is that you'd have your GPS with you at all times, while still having a slot for a micro-SD memory card. The device itself is not so expensive ($90), but those of us who use 4GB SD cards would also have to buy a fairly expensive 4GB micro SD card ($70).

And of course, it requires a full-sized SD slot (I still have a 650, so it's OK for me).

It's not clear to me how much the GPS antenna would protrude. This probably isn't too much of an issue for us 650 and 700p owners. Although if the antenna is fragile, then I wouldn't be able to carry my phone in my pocket.

The company's website says that no driver is required for this device (only Bluetooth support).
  2. Tec
    I received mine today but am so far having no luck with it. The memory card reader works fine, but the GPS unit won't power up on a Treo 700p, Zire 72 or Treo 600. Also the card won't even fit on a Tungsten-C because of how deep that SD slot seats. I'll try it on a 650 later tonight.

If I plug the card into an HP printer it powers on fine. (Though it makes the printer complain of a card error.) Unfortunately that's indoor, so while the 700p will connect to it, I haven't been able to get a fix to see how well the GPS works.
    I installed the drivers for the 650 & for the sdg-810 - since there is little mention of the 812 on their website. They have a message board and someone posted. "uh, this think doesn't do anything in a 700p" So I'll be watching that as well. Please someone post here if you figure it out. I need this
    SHARP WIZARD~OZ-9520 -> Cassiopeia a-11 ->Casio Casiopeia e-100 -> Casio Casiopeia e-115 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by Tec View Post
    I received mine today but am so far having no luck with it. The memory card reader works fine, but the GPS unit won't power up on a Treo 700p, Zire 72 or Treo 600. Also the card won't even fit on a Tungsten-C because of how deep that SD slot seats. I'll try it on a 650 later tonight.

If I plug the card into an HP printer it powers on fine. (Though it makes the printer complain of a card error.) Unfortunately that's indoor, so while the 700p will connect to it, I haven't been able to get a fix to see how well the GPS works.
    I've got the same behavior on a Treo 650. Seems to work fine from the 650 *if* I plug it into my laptop's SD slot (to provide power), but doesn't work when I plug it in to the 650's SD slot. I thought it might be a defective unit, but now it sounds like a design flaw.

I also tried installing their "special" Treo 650 driver (which was for a previous model/non-bluetooth gps), but that doesn't change anything. sigh...

-Dan
    I did the same, plugged into my laptop - it connected immediately, blue light comes on, finds location immediately. Treo then connects very quickly via bluetooth. Actually pretty impressive connection - except for the fact I have to carry my laptop around for power.

Does the 700p not provide the power out the sdio that the gps is looking for? You can read and write to the memory card just fine. I'd really hate to return this but clearly everyone states 700p compatibility.

Has ANYONE using a treo gotten this to work? curious if the W peeps are having luck.
    SHARP WIZARD~OZ-9520 -> Cassiopeia a-11 ->Casio Casiopeia e-100 -> Casio Casiopeia e-115 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
    Well, I've confirmed it's a power issue, and I've got a work-around.

As is, the work-around kind of sucks, but it does prove that the fix is relatively simple. The problem is that the Treo powers down the SD card whenever it is not "in use."

The fix is to read from the pass-thru microSD card every so often so that the power stays on.

The work-around is to put a (small) mp3 file on the microSD card, run pockettunes in the background and tell it to loop (repeat) the mp3 file forever. You can even turn the volume all the way down (off) in pockettunes.

This keeps the SD card powered up and keeps the GPS running...

Hopefully, someone can write a simple palm app with an ON/OFF switch that just sits in the background reading from the SD card over-and-over whenever the switch is turned ON.

Any takers??? :-)

-Dan
    This clearly wasn't beta'd.. thanks for posting on their site too. Rather than someone writing a SD card memory "pinger" - I'd rather the SDIO driver be modified to only power down based on a power setting in preferences?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebyron View Post
    This clearly wasn't beta'd.. thanks for posting on their site too. Rather than someone writing a SD card memory "pinger" - I'd rather the SDIO driver be modified to only power down based on a power setting in preferences?
    I agree, but good luck getting that to actually happen. :-(

As of right now, they seem to be saying it's a Palm issue and we're all SOL.

-Dan
    But a quick question... when it does work... how is it?

i'm thinking about getting the spectec 810... non-bluetooth gps
  10. Tec
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc View Post
    Well, I've confirmed it's a power issue, and I've got a work-around. The work-around is to put a (small) mp3 file on the microSD card, run pockettunes in the background and tell it to loop (repeat) the mp3 file forever. You can even turn the volume all the way down (off) in pockettunes. This keeps the SD card powered up and keeps the GPS running...
    I suspected it was a power issue as well. Nice find on the work around , though I found the MP3 file can't be too small or PocketTunes caches it all up and stops accessing the card.

Today I got a chance to actually take it out and try the GPS functionality. It takes a while to lock in, but once it does, performance was quite good. It reliably picked up each step I took, which gives it a resolution of about 3'.
  11. Tec
    We have developed a prototype driver for this Spectec GPS and have successfully tested it on the Treo 700p, Zire 72 and Treo 650, with several Palm applications. There's some more refinement planned but we hope to release it shortly.
    What is sad is "Henry's" response at spectec.

"we have determined you have to plug in a memory card"..

ok, we diagnosed, proved and provided workaround confirming problem, and their response is, I think you need a memory card.

ok, we diagnosed, proved and provided workaround confirming problem, and their response is, I think you need a memory card.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks to all ...

How far does the antenna protrude from the SD slot?
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    How far does the antenna protrude from the SD slot?
    The total external size is about 2.5 times the size of the Treo 650's antenna, so it protrudes about 1.5 times the size of the Treo 650 antenna PAST the Treo 650 antenna.

It would be nice if it was about the same size as the built-in antenna, but it's in-fact a bit larger...

-Dan
    We have developed a prototype driver for this Spectec GPS and have successfully tested it on the Treo 700p, Zire 72 and Treo 650, with several Palm applications. There's some more refinement planned but we hope to release it shortly.
    Awesome! Thank you *so* much!

-Dan
  17. Tec
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebyron View Post
    Well, that's true for our app as well; so far it's going to require a memory card. But the card alone won't do it (or we wouldn't be writing an app!) So it makes you wonder what they're thinking?
    I'd be more than willing to alpha/beta test this ...

Either way, though, where would be posting the results of this effort?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by klatham View Post
    I'd be more than willing to alpha/beta test this ...

Either way, though, where would be posting the results of this effort?

Thanks!
    BTW, guys, I got this response from BuyGPSNow (.com) today ...

"Yes, we appreciate your comments and sharing this info with us. We made a mistake selling this to Palm Treo 650/700p users and we have stop selling this to this group of customers after getting a call from one of our customers and validated this issue.This problem does not effect Treo 700w, 700wx or 750 all runing WM5. (680 and 755p may also be effected with this issue)."

Uh. Gee. Thanks.

P.S.

And, no offense "Tec". Really, truly, honestly, none intended.
    But just for hell of it, I went over to mobile-stream.com and posted a support request for Card Reader to have an option for "Always On" (or even a separate util). Seemed like a natural fit to me, given the integrated card slot in the GPS. (Card Reader already works in background mode)
    Last edited by klatham; 07/14/2007 at 01:24 AM. Reason: added info
  20. Tec
    Our new release, CS SDrv, is now available for demo'ing. While it's gone through our extensive quality control processes, that and 50 cents is worth about ... 50 cents. There are so many Palm variants that we don't pretend to have handled them all, so there are probably a few issues. We also don't have access to all of huge selection of Palm GPS apps, so if you're the one and only fan of obscure GPS app X, we'd like to hear from you.

If you're interested in trying the new driver demo, drop us a line at support@conklinsystems.com and we'll get you started. I can say this - having the entire GPS unit be not much bigger than the phone rocks(!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast