1.    #1  
    Is anyone else having the problem of the burgundy color rubbing off, particularly around the edges? I know I read a post where it happened to someone, but that was all I heard about the topic. Just wondering if it's common or just a lemon. Thanks all.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bvd1147 View Post
    Just wondering if it's common or just a lemon. Thanks all.
    I used to drive a Volkswagen New Beetle and the inside door handles had a similar finish. It peeled off. :-(

I'm probably going to go ahead and order a skin case before my phone gets too banged up.
    Obscura
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscura View Post
    I used to drive a Volkswagen New Beetle and the inside door handles had a similar finish. It peeled off. :-(

I'm probably going to go ahead and order a skin case before my phone gets too banged up.
    If you read that thread it seems as if the case was the cause of the paint rubbing off of the burgundy 755..
    diane
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, I'm not sure what to do because I didn't have a case, instead, I kept it in a microfiber pouch that came with some oakleys. Honestly, I can't believe that the paint is so crappy that it wears off in less than one month. I read the other post very shortly after I got my 755 so I knew what to look for and how it happened with others' experiences. I hope the new one fairs better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carterism View Post
    If you read that thread it seems as if the case was the cause of the paint rubbing off of the burgundy 755..
    Just to get it straight, I didn't have a skin case, I had a leather case that Sprint still sells for the 700 for $39. Only the keyboard fits in it and I cut off the part that goes around the antenna. Another person posted that they had a skin case and had the same problem. The case might cause the problem to happen faster, but this should not happen at all, case or not.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Just to get it straight, I didn't have a skin case, I had a leather case that Sprint still sells for the 700 for $39. Only the keyboard fits in it and I cut off the part that goes around the antenna. Another person posted that they had a skin case and had the same problem. The case might cause the problem to happen faster, but this should not happen at all, case or not.
    Yeah and my friend that posted in that thread said she had a hard clear case which wore off the paint on her burgundy treo. She got hers swapped out by Sprint. To the op I think you can contact palm and swap yours out for $25 or try to argue with sprint to swap yours out for free..

p.s. i had that same hard clear case on mine (pictured in my avatar) and when I read that one site I immediately sold it because i didnt want the paint to wear off. plus it was a tight fit.
    diane
  8.    #8  
    Actually, I was able to do a 30 day exchange switch-a-roo. I should have gone with the blue though. Maybe I should just put it in a sandwich bag and call it a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by bvd1147 View Post
    Actually, I was able to do a 30 day exchange switch-a-roo. I should have gone with the blue though. Maybe I should just put it in a sandwich bag and call it a day.
    I'm just wondering why the blue ones havent done this as well or maybe they just don't show as much as the burgundy..
    diane
    Palm has a history of the paint coming off. They tried a similar new finish on the Zire line a few years ago and had to replace thousands for the paint coming off in the exact same ways that the Treo is having happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by cygy2k View Post
    Palm has a history of the paint coming off. They tried a similar new finish on the Zire line a few years ago and had to replace thousands for the paint coming off in the exact same ways that the Treo is having happen.
    I just picked up a blue 755p yesterday, and that Zire 72 incident popped into my head, as well. Hopefully, these Treos won't have the same fate at those older PDA's; the paint peeling on those models was REALLY ugly.

TMann
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I have had my burgundy 755p for two weeks now. I wore it in my dress pants pocket for the first time yesterday and now all the paint is worn off the edges on the phone! BS! I contacted Sprint to see what they can do.
    Odd. I've had my Burgundy 755 for about a month and have always carried it in my front pants pocket, without a case, in dress pants, casual shorts, jeans, etc., and there's no sign of the finish rubbing off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Odd. I've had my Burgundy 755 for about a month and have always carried it in my front pants pocket, without a case, in dress pants, casual shorts, jeans, etc., and there's no sign of the finish rubbing off.
    Same here. I think I'm around 6 weeks. I do use a case during the day at work. It's a case from Nutshell. Other than that it's in my front pocket. So far, no loss of paint. I'm sure now that I have posted this, the paint will start going away.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaldutte View Post
    I have had my burgundy 755p for two weeks now. I wore it in my dress pants pocket for the first time yesterday and now all the paint is worn off the edges on the phone! BS! I contacted Sprint to see what they can do.
    My new handset is in the mail now, no problems! My new Ruby Wine Vaja i-volution Top Holster case came in the mail today, new phone in a new case, mmmmmm.
  16.    #16  
    How's your case working out tsaldutte? I just got my replacement, and the paint definitely looks different than my worn out 755.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMann View Post
    I just picked up a blue 755p yesterday, and that Zire 72 incident popped into my head, as well. Hopefully, these Treos won't have the same fate at those older PDA's; the paint peeling on those models was REALLY ugly.

TMann
    Palm has a bad habit of learning nothing from their experience, the Zire 72 wasn't that long ago.

The second I felt the rubberized 755 texture I knew these problem threads were coming soon. But Palm being the class operation they are - they actually gave us a choice about it this time: we can have the burgundy color peeling off, or we can have the navy blue peeling off. Nice.

Of course the option to purchase a device without rubberized coating never entered Palm's peabrain, they were probably too busy figuring out whether they should shrink the battery down to 1/3rd, 1/2 or 1/4 of the usual 1800mAh capacity, or whether they should change to MiniSD or Memory Stick or Smartmedia or floppy disks...

My guess: ala' the Zire 72 - once they get enough complaints and returns on the 755 coating, Palm will release some uncoated ones and then call them the "Special Edition" Treo 755. (or, reaching back - paint 'em pink and then they'll be Christy Brinkley 755s...).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Same here. I think I'm around 6 weeks. I do use a case during the day at work. It's a case from Nutshell. Other than that it's in my front pocket. So far, no loss of paint. I'm sure now that I have posted this, the paint will start going away.
    Exact same setup here. And, same concern.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.