1.    #1  
    Hi, I just got a used Cingular Treo 680. I'm with T-Mobile, so I asked my Cingular-customer friend to call them and ask for the unlock code. I should get the code in 5-7 days.

In the mean time, I was wondering if there are any critical software patches/updates that I should install. The OS is Garnet v.5.4.9.

Also, the previous owner installed a few programs. Should I un-install them one by one, or can I just do a "reformat"? I also need to delete his Contacts and Schedule information. Basically I'd like to make it "new" again.

Finally, are there any useful tips/tricks I should know that cannot be found in the user guide?

Thanks.
    The programs on there will not run as registered when you change the user name. As for programs, what is your primary use going to be: business or pleasure.

Ben
  3.    #3  
    Primary use will be for business, but I'd like to install some interesting programs, too.

I don't care about the currently installed programs, in fact, I want to delete them. I do want to use the ones that were factory installed (Schedule, Contacts, DocsToGo, pTunes, etc.) My question was, can or should I do a total "reformat"?
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I wouldn't recommend doing a total "reformat" because it would require a ROM flash, and thats not a great idea if you are new to Palm devices.

Just... keep whatever is on there and go ahead and load up apps you like. Make sure all upgrades are done (camera + security update) and you should be good to go.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    A hard reset might be a good idea. Start with your own data.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by axela
    Finally, are there any useful tips/tricks I should know that cannot be found in the user guide?
    er... maybe buy some ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or compounding of acetaminophen, caffein and aspirin.
    Treo Maniac?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    A hard reset might be a good idea. Start with your own data.
    Zero reset would be better.
    at&t iPhone3G
    The first program to install: an installation monitoring utility. There are three out there, one is free. The one I use is Uninstall Manager - www.northglide.com. The other two: DeStaller Lite and DeStaller Pro (the other pay one) - http://www.rogame.com/pages/Destaller.html.

The next application: a device based backup utility. There are a couple of good ones: NVBackup (http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=186018 written by an excellent developer) and Resco Backup (http://resco.net/palm/backup/default.asp - the developer that did NVBackup provided assistance in the development of Resco Backup). I use Resco Backup. Both are stable applications.

Ben
  9.    #9  
    Wow, thanks for the responses. That's exactly the stuff I want to know.

OK, I'm going to do a hard reset and install the installation monitor. I'm not completely unfamiliar with Palm, as I used to have a Vx long time ago (one of the nicest Palms, imo) and I used an E2 briefly, but mostly I've been a PocketPC user.

As for the Camera and Security updates, should I do this BEFORE or AFTER I unlock it? Does it matter?

After I unlock it, will it still be considered a Cingular version or an UNLOCKED version treo, as far as updates/patches/firmware go?

What is a "zero reset"?

Thanks!
  10.    #10  
    Btw here's the phone info if needed to answer my question:
    Firmware is R01.31
    Software: TREO680-1.03-CNG
    CC-Cap: 000-000-0000
    Carrier DB: 292
    Hardware: A
    Run the ATT updater, it has all the patches already loaded. This will also erase everything.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

12.    #12  
    I just unlocked the phone. Will it still be OK to use the ATT updater?
  13.    #13  
    Btw, this thing is SO MUCH better than any smartphones/PPC-phones I've used. I knew it would be good, but I didn't know it would be this good. Layout is more simple and logical, and I love the one-hand navigation design. Kudos to the designer/engineer. And the best thing is, I got T-Zones working already, and I don't even HAVE t-zones!
    Quote Originally Posted by axela View Post
    I just unlocked the phone. Will it still be OK to use the ATT updater?
    Yes

15.    #15  
    Awesome, thank you!
  16.    #16  
    I just downloaded the ATT updater for Treo680 from here:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...llwindows.html
    but the file is corrupted and I can't unzip it. Tried re-downloading it, but still corrupted.

Can I download it from somewhere else?
    Quote Originally Posted by axela View Post
    Btw, this thing is SO MUCH better than any smartphones/PPC-phones I've used. I knew it would be good, but I didn't know it would be this good. Layout is more simple and logical, and I love the one-hand navigation design. Kudos to the designer/engineer. And the best thing is, I got T-Zones working already, and I don't even HAVE t-zones!
    How did you get t-zones to work? I just ordered it online earlier today but I can figure out how to get it to work on my unlocked 680. Can anyone help? (I guess "T-Mobile Web" is what TM is now calling their t-zone option)

Christi
    Forget it. T-Mobile must have just taken the sweet time to turn it on. It is working just fine now.

Christi