Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard View Post
    What I want to know is where are you seeing it for $50?

The cheapest I have seen it is $150... and really for me, a current at&t customer, it is a tad more on a 2-year contract if I get unlimited data.
    As mentioned often here, you do not have to maintain the $40 data package. Unless you're waiting on a rebate to come in, get on the online account manager and change it to the appropriate data package.
    I understand that I can change the unlimited data plan; meanwhile I am paying $40/month waiting on a rebate, which would quickly eat up the $100 rebate.

My point was: where is this $50 680?
  3.    #23  
    I saw it on the Cingular web site when I login and look up phone upgrades. Here is what is says:
    2-Year Service
    Base Price $449.99
    Online Discount - $200.00
    Mail-in Rebate Card - $200.00
    *Online Price $49.99

Plan requirements are: 2 year Service Commitment. Requires activation on a PDA Personal Plan or a $39.99 or higher unlimited data rate plan plus an AT&T Voice Plan of $39.99 or higher.

I currently have a $20 data plan, so the $50 phone would require some extra fees.

Attached is the rebate form.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    http://mytreo.net/store/product.php?xProd=1020

Treo 680 GSM for current AT&T customers. Includes a 2-year contract extension. Are you eligible?
    $39.99 (after additional rebates)
    Retail Price: $399.99 Your Cost Today: $189.99
    $50.00 AT&T Mail-in Rebate -$50.00
    $25.00 Customer Appreciation Mail-in Rebate -$25.00
    $75.00 Data Feature Mail-in Rebate -$75.00
    (after additional rebates) $39.99
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I was hesitant to upgrade from the T650 to T680. Wasn't sure it was worth it. But now I've done it, I'm really chuffed. It's given Palm a new lease of life as far as I'm concerned.

My impressions:
    Much more free RAM.
    Smaller.
    Lighter.
    No antennae.
    Better BT.
    Slightly improved software.
    More stable (although may be due to a clean re-install).
    Better keyboard (prefer 5-way nav).
    Much worse battery. I've just bought a spare.
    I like that it charges via the sync cable.
    Slightly slower switching apps (no doubt due to increased RAM).
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Hicks,
    About the same impressions here too. Except for the fact that the 680 BT functionality is full of bugs using my SE HBH-600 headset. The same headset was flawless on the 650. Since the battery on the SE is shot, I'm upgrading to the Aliph Jawbone, which I read is bulletproof with the 680.

Anyway, I love my 680, while finally demanding Cingular to take my 3rd 650 for cash or an upgrade. They just swapped the new 680 in January and I have loved it. With the cavernous 8GB SDHC card all, I'm waiting for is a high capacity slim battery. Good device.

Now. What it needs to really excel (about 2yrs past due BTW) ...
    3G data
    A decent web browser with embedded Java/Flash
    HVGA screen
    2mpx camera + much better vid capture (may need more horsepower?)
    3.5mm audio jack
    Palm OS over Linux core
    WiFi
    BT2 w/ AD2P
    ... dreaming.
    Patrick Horne
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Hicks,
    About the same impressions here too. Except for the fact that the 680 BT functionality is full of bugs using my SE HBH-600 headset. The same headset was flawless on the 650. Since the battery on the SE is shot, I'm upgrading to the Aliph Jawbone, which I read is bulletproof with the 680.

Anyway, I love my 680, while finally demanding Cingular to take my 3rd 650 for cash or an upgrade. They just swapped the new 680 in January and I have loved it. With the cavernous 8GB SDHC card all, I'm waiting for is a high capacity slim battery. Good device.

Now. What it needs to really excel (about 2yrs past due BTW) ...
    3G data
    A decent web browser with embedded Java/Flash
    HVGA screen
    2mpx camera + much better vid capture (may need more horsepower?)
    3.5mm audio jack
    Palm OS over Linux core
    WiFi
    BT2 w/ AD2P
    ... dreaming.
    A high capacity regular sized battery would be very nice.

Seidio are you listening?
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    A high capacity regular sized battery would be very nice.
    Seidio are you listening?
    They have to be. From day #1, the 680 has beeeeeegged for a bigger fuel tank. Yet, it's the others that have gotten the love, or the "rumpshaker" door cover. This looks like the sure money maker if they can pull off 1800, or at least 1600.

I would conjecture that an upgraded 680 cell is either ...

#1 Non-standard size based on the cells the that Seidio etc can quickly pull off the shelf and assemble.

#2 The power increase would be small from a non % standpoint and may not look attractive from a marketing standpoint

BTW. Speaking of longer battery life, check this new SW for the 680 that allows keyboard backlight on/off control. Looks good in my tests so far.
    http://software.palminfocenter.com/product.asp?id=12707
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I bought a 680, loved the increased memory, improved browsing and form factor but in the end the massively reduced battery life took me back to my beat up old 650 (which has the Seido 2400MaH battery).
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75 View Post
    I bought a 680, loved the increased memory, improved browsing and form factor but in the end the massively reduced battery life took me back to my beat up old 650 (which has the Seido 2400MaH battery).
    I also have a 650 with the Seido 2400 mAh battery. I called Cingular today an spoke with a sales rep and someone in customer retention. Neither was very helpful. The best price on a 680 thru them was $150 to $199. When I pointed out that it was available on the web for $50 they basically called me a liar.

I am gonna try the retail store next.
  11.    #31  
    I took the plunge today. Went to the AT&T store and got the 680 for $150 with a $100 rebate. Charged up the battery. Put in a custom ROM. Reinstalled all my apps fresh that were on my 650.

Initial impression is positive. I remove my SD card often to load new music so I am worried about the flimsy door. The new button layout will take some time to get used to. Love all the memory. My "p" key seems a little mushy. Glad to see Seidio just announced a new extended OEM sized battery.
    Last edited by swieder; 07/21/2007 at 03:14 PM.
    BTW, if you want to set your keys the way the 650 was, LudusP can do it. If it weren't for the Menu key, I would have adapted. But I can't stand it at the bottom of the keyboard.
    Come on buy it..you know you want that baby - 64 MB RAM, stable like the Rock of Gibraltar compared tot he normal 650...go on buy it!
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I remove my SD card often to load new music so I am worried about the flimsy door. .... Glad to see Seidio just announced a new extended OEM sized battery.
    That door does "seem" flimsy, but it looks to be made of nylon. Nylon looks like a "plastic", but that stuff is tough as nails. Look at your local hardware and you'll probably see a lotta fastners that are starting to be made of it. Flimsy for plastic, but no problem for nylon. Although, it does seems to close a little awkwardly.

Yep, it looks like the 1600mah OEM size is avail for pre-order. Hoping for 1800, but we better take what we can.
    Patrick Horne
  15.    #35  
    Lets see what this $50 Treo 680 costs me in add-ons:
    * Sena case - $45 (very nice)
    * Extra stylus - $15 (just in case)
    * 8 GB SDHC card - $70 (gotta get this)
    * CardReader SW - $12 (with the buried SD card seems like a good idea)
    * Ptunes upgrade - $30 (could not run on the 650 due to lack of mem)
    * Wilson antenna adapter - $15

Total = $187
    (not including the $50 Seidio ext battery which I will get after a review and $5 for PowerUp once Jeff G tells me the 680 is supported)

Thankfully I sold my 650 and all its accessories on Ebay for $155
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12