1.    #1  
    Last week and again this week I have had the following problem. I hit one of my phone buttons to go to the web or whatever else the buttons are assigned to and my phone resets. When the phone comes back on, all my preferences previously set are gone. Worse than that, registration keys for the likes of p-tunes, kinoma, mmplayer get wiped out also. My first instinct is to do a Hot Sync from the pc but this causes the phone to reset again. I end up having to a complete hard reset and restore from backup to get everything back. The hard reset apparently fixes whatever Hot Sync issues that are causing resets. Problem is that some games and applications do not come back in the hot sync. Examples of this are purchased games and sling player. I have to download them again and some applications have to be completely reinstalled. Does anybody else have this probelm or does anyone perhaps know the file/files where this info is stored so that I can reinstall those files instead of the whole hard reset reinstall approach
    download and buy reset doctor, will save all your saved preferences so your registration info wont be lost

http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/reset-doctor-more.php

no one can explain why it happens, its just a free bug that palm offers
    Hey...

The preferences and reg keys for apps are kept in the Saved Preferences file in the RAM.

You have a diseased saved prefs file. When you do a restore from hotsync, you are syncing the same diseased saved prefs file back.

You need to do a hard reset and sync your PIM data back only. Go into your PC...C:/Programs/Palm/your hotsync ID Folder/Backup Folder and rename the Backup folder with something like Backup_old. Then do a hotsync for your PIM data only, then do a clean install of each application and reset your prefs and reg keys.

Most often, a saved prefs file gets corrupted from improperly deleting stuff and old app saved pref entries remain in your Saved Preferences file.

I recommend using Destaller Lite (free) or Destaller Pro (payware) to delete apps. This will delete the application prc file, the associated files and the apps Saved Pref entries.

Some 3rd party launchers can create Saved Pref problems.

4.    #4  
    Ouch. What is PIM data and how do I isolate that for a hot sync. I have tons of Splash Money and other data files which I am afraid of losing which is why I restored everything from my pc.
    Third party launchers do not create saved preference problems; the lose of the preferences is due to a bug in the Palm OS. You can and will loose saved preferences with AND without a third party launcher.

There are times when a third party can cause the problem, but not always. The execution of a hard reset and reentering the applications and testing them one at a time is good advice - the first application should be an installation monitoring application. DeStaller Lite/Pro and Uninstall Manager are examples (I use Uninstall Manager). The best advise is to make sure you are installing the latest releases and contact the developer if you have or suspect an issue with the application.

As indicated above, you can restore them from a hotsync, but that may not be the latest and greatest one. As indicated above, take a look at Reset Doctor - it is designed to save the store preferences file and for the most part accurately reinstalls them if the device is zapped - just be careful about which option to use.

As a note, I use Reset Doctor, have it set to clear the DB cache at 4mb and to lock the preference file. The developer suggests not locking the preference file.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ View Post
    Ouch. What is PIM data and how do I isolate that for a hot sync. I have tons of Splash Money and other data files which I am afraid of losing which is why I restored everything from my pc.
    PIM (Personal Information Manager) is your data from Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos.

Rename your backup folder in your PC as I mentioned above, and do a new hotsync with your current Hotsync ID to get only your PIM data back. Nothing else will be put back into your Treo.

Keeping your current hotsync ID will allow your apps you registered to your hotsync ID to stay registered after re-entering your reg keys.

Using Reset Doctor as was mentioned above, will only put a bandaid on your diseased Saved Prefs file.

I have Reset Doctor, but only use it for clearing the DB Cache when it gets down to 4 megs and for logging information. I don't use it for locking my healthy saved prefs file.

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post

There are times when a third party can cause the problem, but not always.

Ben
    Hi Ben...

I think I mentioned that it "CAN" in my post above. "CAN" Does Not mean always will happen without fail....

8. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Or just back up your Palm to an SD card (a good idea anyway), using an app like Resco Backup, and when you lose your Saved Prefs, just restore that one file from your last good backup. Instant fix, and you don't need to be near your computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM View Post
    Or just back up your Palm to an SD card (a good idea anyway), using an app like Resco Backup, and when you lose your Saved Prefs, just restore that one file from your last good backup. Instant fix, and you don't need to be near your computer.
    The first (and only) time it reset and I lost my saved preferences, I got Resco Backup that day.
    That is always a good step. Some devices need to have their saved preferences locked and mine is one of them. If I do not lock the saved preferences file, then I do have problems. An extended period of time will pass between problems, but eventually it will happen and hence the reason I lock the preference file - when that is done, no more problems are experienced.

It may be a band aide for some, but Reset Doctor is necessary on my device and produces a stable device. As for the offending application(s), nothing found that stands out. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, run with limited applications, et cetera.

Ben