1.    #1  
    Well I decided to try the 6800 since I was going to be on my 3rd 755p because of quality issues. I got my 6800 and we started off rocky and ended rocky.

I am returning the 6800 after 1 day for several reasons listed below.

WM6, Windows in general is just crap I should of stayed away from the device as soon as I saw the word "Windows" on it. On Palm OS you can navigate to any program or anything with at most 2 click of a button. Also on the Palm OS when you close an app it closes not the case on WM, yes they make programs that close the app when you hit the X but the issue is you run into having to make exceptions for some programs and its just annoying. But I will say multitasking is great and I wish the treo did it.

Speed, yes the 6800 is faster at launching applications as long as you have enough free memory and not many background programs running. But of course this speed is hindered by the navigation of WM. For example I can place a call, send a text or launch an application faster on the treo than the 6800.

Wi-Fi I thought Wi-Fi would be great but in reality the phone and IE are the limiting factors on web pages loading, I thought slingplayer would be faster but in reality Wi-Fi vs EVDO Wi-Fi only has a slight edge.

BT didnt have time to test it out much hooked up my GPS device which took about 5 steps and I actually had to look up online how to do it vs the treo you just pair it and it works. (from reading on PPC geeks the BT is having issues similar to the 700p)

Slide out keyboard, I never missed the treos keypad my fingers were just used to the treo and typing speed on the 6800 for me was slow.

Camera just plain sucks, despite the 755p having a crappy camera and lowers resolution somehow the 6800 camera rated at 2mp is even worse. Did I mention you need a hack to send picture mail, along with a hack to have threaded text messages.

Battery life was good which surprised me because of the large screen and the amount of time I had it on.

Overall the phone has way to many short cut keys that are worthless and they need to rethink the design. As for reception the 755p beats the 6800 hands down, so far the 6800 has had the worst reception of any sprint phone I have used, the speaker and mic suck on the phone. The only good thing I can say about the phone is I like the screen and the today screen along with the ability to customize the themes and device more than you can dream of on a treo not to mention it didnt lag it down like many treo launchers do.

When it comes down to it WM vs Palm is really like Windows vs Mac, if you are a mac user you will understand what I am about to say if you are a windows users which you are going to have to be to use the 6800 then stop reading now.

Mac users are used to having a dock with applications they want and can launch quickly windows users are used to having to search menus and junk. Even with my slower Mac I am still able to do things quicker than a faster PC because I have better navigation ability and better user interface. Thats how using WM vs Palm OS is. To get the 6800 you have to be a die hard windows user who is used to putting up with slow navigation and the fun of closing applications and managing memory usage, also it seems like you can find an application to fix every problem you can think of but by the time you have all of them running you can only run a few programs since you ran out of usable memory.

If you couldnt guess I am a mac users and syncing the WM6 device was trouble some since missing sync is still beta.
    helluva review-thanks.

I was about to test a 6800 just for fun....
    when the 6800 came out I admit I did think about trying one out but then I thought back to when I had a 6700 and why I got rid of it. the 6800 is probably just the same with a few upgrades but not worth the switch from my 755p. my brother had a 6700 and wanted a 6800 but I told him not to so we got him a shiny blue 755p yesterday. he loves it. says its the best phone he ever had but I think anyone coming from a 6700 would say that. lol
    diane
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I agree with a lot of what you said. The close button is easily fixed by downloading X-Button, and gives you a task manager on the today screen. Simple tasks like making a call or texting are definitely much faster on the 755p, thanks to the better one handed navigation, and lack of need to use the onscreen dialpad. WiFi is indeed not much better speedwise when you have good coverage. I also wasn't a slideout keyboard fan. I found myself using the onscreen keyboard more. The camera is terrible! Constantly blurry, can't zoom at all in highest res (why?), and requires a registry change to have the pictures rotated in the correct manner. Battery life was pretty good. Using the debug reception as a gauge, I went from 95 on the Mogul to 100 on the 755p. I felt the call quality was OK, but I had some volume issues. The Speakerphone stunk.

One of the killers to me on principle was that the Mogul can NOT play video without being choppy on Windows Media Player. Using TCPMP (with raw framebuffer option on) fixes this, but it is ridiculous to have to install a third party player with special options just to play video on such a beefy phone.

I'm glad I swapped for the Treo - even if it did cost me more money. I actually think I get better EVDO speeds here as well.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Thanks for this information.

I am not going to test one out. I seem to think your comments mirror my own preconceptions about a slider vs. one-handed Treos.

One day, hopefully, we will have it all. A Treo 755 form factor, 50% thickness reduction, larger screen (by removing 5-way and buttons to side and left right of ear piece / adding jog dial or thumb ball (ala BB Pearl), UTMS, BT 2.0 and ALP.
    Thanks guys, for helping me make up my mind. I've owned a lot of Palm and Pocket PCs over the years, but I think that the Palm OS is a better one for a smartphone, IMHO. It's faster, simpler and less stylus-dependant which makes a difference when you are trying to walk/drive and use your phone at the same time. I just picked up a blue 755p yesterday and am really pleased with it so far.

TMann
    Sprint Centro owner
  7. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I thought about a 6800 (or even 6700) when I heard Verzion had delayed the 755p. I played with a 6700 in the store and hated it. The windows OS is just so inconvenient to use, I too am way too used to the intuitiveness of Palm.

Also, I like that I can type on my Treo 1-handed if I have to. I do a lot of quick typing to dial contacts and launch apps, and having to slide out the keyboard would undo all the convenience I've gotten used to of launching any of my apps with a few keypresses. Plus I have very small hands, so it doesn't really matter to me if the keyboard is bigger.

I decided to go with a 700p, and I'm sure it was the right decision, given my options.
    As a long-time Palm & WM debater, I had the hardest time trying to decide between the 755p and 6800. I'm a techno geek that doesn't keep a computer or phone for more than a couple months but really wanted to find a phone I could keep for a while to save money down the road. I ended up getting both and returned the 6800 because although it's a great "gadget" with tons of appeal, it's the worst phone I've ever used, and I've used just about every "smart" device released in the past 10 years.

In essence, the 755p is the perfect phone first, pda second device around. It might not be "state of the art cool" like the 6800 but the 6800 is nothing more than a glorified PPC with a terrible phone thrown into the mix.

Take it from a Palm and WM user since their creation, nothing beats the ease and functionality of the 755p, regardless of how sexy the 6800 might be in a techno geeks eyes.
    I'm glad to see all of the posts with the 755p coming out on top since I am looking at both phones myself. I tried using a friend's Mogul and found it difficult to use and navigate. I saved a PDF mail attachment, not paying attention where it was saved. It took FOREVER to find the file.

I'm not sure if it had a faulty battery but it wouldn't last more than 8 hours after normal use.

I think I'm going to call Customer Retention today and order a 755p.
    Does anyone know if they are available 24/7 or do I need to wait until Monday?
    You can't really give a fair comparison of a WM device vs. a Palm device after owning the WM for only one day. WM is a pretty flexible OS. More flexible than Palm. You just have to find the right apps. to suit your need and to customize the OS and device's functions. After a couple of weeks I had pretty much one handed operation with my IP-830W.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    You can't really give a fair comparison of a WM device vs. a Palm device after owning the WM for only one day. WM is a pretty flexible OS. More flexible than Palm. You just have to find the right apps. to suit your need and to customize the OS and device's functions. After a couple of weeks I had pretty much one handed operation with my IP-830W.
    Being a mac user I expect things just to work out of the box without having to install a billion programs to make it function how it should of out of the box. What I ran into with WM is I would have to add programs to fix things like you said but when I did that the memory would start to get eaten up. After reading the PPC forums for days before I got mine i realized this is an issue and they complain about lag ect.

But being a mac user I find using Windows on PC's slow to navigate also and this navigation issue is the cause of most peoples frustrations along with taking multiple steps to do the same thing that I can do on my Mac with less steps. Windows fan boys are always quick to point out that we lack a 2 click mouse out of the box, the reason for this is its rare for us to even have to use the 2nd button since our applications are quick to navigate and are built for 1 click use. Even with a slower processor I can still do things faster than most people with a new top of the line Windows laptop in the end its all about navigation. Navigation on a computer/electronic device is like handling on a car you can have all the power in the world but if cant control it you will get beat every time.

Like someone said before the Treo is a great phone and PDA second, the 6800 is a PDA first and a phone second.
    Well like I said, I'm very used to the WM interface and know of those special apps and hacks to make it "useable" but even then it doesn't make a decent phone.

The 755p may not be your product of choice and that's fine since we all want something different to match our needs but I can't say that I would ever recommend the 6800 to anybody that needed to use the phone functionality more than once a day. And I did have the 6700 for quite a while, unfortunately
    Why would I want to have to customize and learn for a couple weeks? When I got my first Treo, a 650, it was to replace my Nextel phone and Tungsten C. It took me about an hour to get used to it. Within a day I was using it one handed, switching easily from PDA to phone, and back again. I tried out an iPAQ at a Microsoft conference not long ago and was stunned at how difficult it was to use. Anyone that has ever used a PDA or a phone will have no difficulty quickly getting proficient with a Treo. Everyone I have known says "once you learn how to use it ...... " about WM.

A smart phone should not require weeks of being dumb. Not to mention that the Treo is completely usable out of the box. In my experience, WM smart phones are not.

The point is that I can, and will, judge a WM device after only one day. In the first day of using a Treo I was completely proficient with it and using it to send/receive email, take pictures, read Word docs, surf the web, make phone calls, etc. I didn't have to add anything to it to do that whatsoever. If I can't do that with a WM based phone then it's overpriced junk with a bunch of gadgets that don't make up for the lack of functionality.

On a side note, the only people I know that really like WM are using Treo 700w's. It took Palm's engineering to get WM to be even close to reasonable.
    1 day...seriously? Considering you are changing form factor and OS, you have to give it more than a day for a fair comparison. If I was a long time 6700 user and jumped to a 755p for a day, I would think it sucked unless I gave it more time.

I understand your points, but 1 days is not sufficient for a fair comparison between the two.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Mac's wipe Windows PC's all day long. As the other poster said, they just work. The only Windows machine in our house is my work laptop (no choice on that one. If I did have a choice, it would be a Mac too). My wife and kids use Mac's and love them, never want to go back to Windows.

Apple and Palm engineer the things to work easily and well, they invest a lot of money into that. Windows stuff is engineered for techno geek gadetry. But most people really just want their computer to be like their TV, turn it on and use it, not have to know a bunch of arcane stuff to make it work right.

Same thing with our smart phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    1 day...seriously? Considering you are changing form factor and OS, you have to give it more than a day for a fair comparison. If I was a long time 6700 user and jumped to a 755p for a day, I would think it sucked unless I gave it more time.

I understand your points, but 1 days is not sufficient for a fair comparison between the two.
    One day is easily enough time. The whole point of a smart phone is ease of use and intuitiveness. We all know how to use a phone. Most of us know how to use email, surf the web, etc. A $300 smart phone should enable you to do those things easily and quickly. I have yet to meet a WM based smart phone that meets that criteria.
    Oh boy this is becoming a Windows vs. Mac and WM vs. PalmOS thread.

People have their preferences. Sometimes it takes time to learn things that are worth learning. Sometimes people have the patience, sometimes they don't.

Let's just leave it at that.
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 07/08/2007 at 05:52 PM.
    Oh boy this is becoming a Windows vs. Mac and WM vs. PalmOS thread.

People have their preferences. Sometimes it takes time to learn things that are worth learning. Sometimes people have the patiences, sometimes they don't.

Let's just leave it at that.
    I think my point is a very valid one. If the phone and OS require so much customizing and learning that it takes a couple weeks to be useful ........ it's not really a smart phone, is it?
    Its not a matter of patience. Its a matter of what is easy to use right out of the box vs what is slow and cumbersome and requires a great deal of patchwork and tweaking before achieving a somewhat tolerable level of usefulness.

I think we can do without the excuses for windows already. It is what it is. While multitasking is nice, wm should not be as cumbersome as it is. It should be quick and easy right out of the box.

The palm os smartphone is, windows smartphones are not.

I'd rather leave it at THAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Its not a matter of patience. Its a matter of what is easy to use right out of the box vs what is slow and cumbersome and requires a great deal of patchwork and tweaking before achieving a somewhat tolerable level of usefulness.

I think we can do without the excuses for windows already. It is what it is. While multitasking is nice, wm should not be as cumbersome as it is. It should be quick and easy right out of the box.

The palm os smartphone is, windows smartphones are not.

I'd rather leave it at THAT.
    Amen, brother.

I'm currently evaluating both of them and so far the 755p is winning. I'm on week #2 now. The biggest differences that I've found are these:

755p
    call recording software (nothing can ever work on WM phones because of the design)
    volumecare (volume on the 6800 is craptastic)
    one-handed use (no matter how many hacks you add to the 6800, it will never touch a Palm)
    outdoor viewing (much better on the 755p than the 6800. indoors is comparable)
    better BT (believe it. The 6800's BT is very buggy and sounds bad on the other end)
    better battery life
    much better video playback (the 6800 is really bad at video decoding)
    free tethering

larger screen (better for watching DVDs)
    voice command
    multi-tasking (too bad the RAM is so small on the 6800 that you can't afford to have more than one app open at a time)
    larger keyboard
    built-in A2DP (works well with CorePlayer 1.11)
    WiFi (can use Skype when overseas - though only over speakerphone)
    better compatibility with Office files (DTG10 isn't nearly as good)
    cool factor (it's cooler looking at I like being able to do more extensive hacking/ROM editing)

Reception is similar between the two but the 755p has a bit better BT range.