Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    --- Post may not be accurate. See my comments below ---

Greg
    Last edited by gzartman; 07/04/2007 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    If you buy a 700P, you'll get the same one that all of us verizon people have.

Greg
    Okay, I know I'm not a regular poster, but I am a regular reader. I was in a Verizon store in Denver today helping a family member replace their phone (definitely not a Treo person!). I decided to walk over and look at the 700P on display. The phone info screen showed 1.10-VZW. I'm absolutely certain of it.

FWIW, I asked the sales person helping us about it. He said they definitely don't do any updates to Treos in the store and said that they were being delivered with that firmware. He said I had to get the update on Verizon's or Palm's web site, and he knew nothing else about it. He seemed surprised when I told him the update wasn't yet available online.

I have no idea what, if anything was different other than the Phone Info screen showing 1.10.

Just thought I'd share!
  3. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I can't explain it, but it does exist. I got it with a new phone yesterday, from a Verizon store. The tech said he went through all their phones on Sunday putting it on.
    http://homepage.mac.com/kparlato/.Pi...omputer/MR.jpg
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    can someone withe an updated vzw 700p do a ROM dump and post the files then so we can try to fix ours?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Okay PSM. If you have it, how does it work? Notice anything different or better?
  6. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Okay PSM. If you have it, how does it work? Notice anything different or better?
    This is my first 700p, so I don't have a direct before-and-after to compare it to. The only obvious thing I can recognize is that it has the same DTMF tone bug that the Sprint users have been complaining about. Excellent testing on VZW's part.

I can do a ROM dump when I get home from work later today if someone can post or link to instructions (been a while since I messed around with ROMs). Is there someplace suggested to upload it to?
    one simple test is to press the home button and keep it pressed to see if the "recent apps" feature pops up. Assuming you guys havent put that hack on or are running any sort of 3rd party launchers.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I would sure love to get my hands on a MR myself! I don't understand. WHY would it come out on new units and not be available to the rest of us? Very curious....
  9. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    one simple test is to press the home button and keep it pressed to see if the "recent apps" feature pops up. Assuming you guys havent put that hack on or are running any sort of 3rd party launchers.
    Interesting feature. Yes, I do have it, although I would never have known as I use Initiate.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM View Post
    I can't explain it, but it does exist. I got it with a new phone yesterday, from a Verizon store. The tech said he went through all their phones on Sunday putting it on.
    My initial post may not be correct. I thought I'd drop by the main VZW store here in my town and bellyache about my 700p and see what they'd say. Interesting comments from the tech people:

1. They are expecting a "CHIP" any day containing update software for the 700p, at the very latest he said they'd have it by July 15th. This has to be an SD card containing the MR. While it makes no sense that Palm would release the MR on the sly, it looks like they may well have. As someone commented in another thread, maybe Verizon wants to minimize bricked phones by having their people run the updates. There is some logic to this, but Palm should at least post something on their blog saying this is what is going on.

2. I checked the display 700p and it is running ROM 1.06. No MR there.

3. The tech said they do not have ANY 700ps in stock anywhere here in Eugene, Oregon nor their regional warehouse. This seems to be an indication that the 755p is near release. I wonder what they do when someone wants to buy a 700p given that one is on display -- maybe they talk people into the BB 8830 instead. ;->

Just a few thoughts.

Greg
    Last edited by gzartman; 07/04/2007 at 03:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I can confirm that NO VZW store near me has any 700p's in stock. Nor have they had 'em in stock at least during the past 2-3 weeks.

Call me a true Doubting Thomas, but I think VZW is just going to take a pass on the 755p entirely. I bet they may just try to sell out their existing stock of 700p's by pre-patching them in-store to version 1.10.

I could see Verizon unofficially taking a pass on the 755p and saying that for support costs & reasons, it's easier on them to provide a higher level of customer satisfaction by only having to support two smartphones OSes (BB & WinMob).
  12. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    3. The tech said they do not have ANY 700ps in stock anywhere here in Eugene, Oregon nor their regional warehouse. This seems to be an indication that the 755p is near release. I wonder what they do when someone wants to buy a 700p given that one is on display -- maybe they talk people into the BB 8830 instead. ;->
    Oh, I can't believe I forgot this! When I was at the store, I thought it odd that they did NOT have the 700p on display. I was waiting a long time for an available rep and spent it trying out all the PDAs. They had the BB 8830 & 8703e, the XV6700, the Q, and the 700wx (I assume it was the "x"). I wanted to play with a 700p while I waited, as I wanted to compare it to the speed of the iPhone I had just looked at across the mall. I wondered how random people coming into the store were supposed to know it was on sale.

I knew they had the 700p because I had called ahead. The guy I spoke to had to look it up, and then said he had "a couple," and took my account information to get it ready for pickup. Later at the store the tech said he had spent his whole day upgrading each phone. IIRC he said he had to do 40 phones. So if they really have that many, why aren't they displaying it and pushing to get rid of their stock before the 755p comes? Are they so embarrassed by it that they're trying NOT to sell it?

This whole situation is so bizarre.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    there are some instructions on doing a rom dump with advbackup in this thread...I can't vouch for it working on the 700p but maybe someone else can chome in with advice. I know people have successfully dumped 700p roms...Good Luck.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=114970
    noodlelest wet noodler
    We just need a vzw tech to do an upload to the Internet. Come on, they can't have a serial number on each mr and couldn't have locked the software. Maybe I'll go to my VZW store today in uniform and see if they can "help" me out.
    Well I called the local store and talked to the tech. He told me he had a brand new software upload for the phone to come on in. They told me it should fix bluetooth issues.

They kept the phone for an hour and gave it back and told me it was ready to go. After I left I looked at the version and it was 1.06. Did I get downgraded?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    they didn't do anything , except maybe steal your apps/reg info...
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimpilot View Post
    Well I called the local store and talked to the tech. He told me he had a brand new software upload for the phone to come on in. They told me it should fix bluetooth issues.

They kept the phone for an hour and gave it back and told me it was ready to go. After I left I looked at the version and it was 1.06. Did I get downgraded?
    You got punk'd

In all seriousness, the tech did not do anything. The updated MR should bring the software version to 1.10. 1.06 is the one that shipped with the phone when first introduced.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    maybe it didn't fully take like a lot of people experienced. take it back and have them run it again.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    You got punk'd

In all seriousness, the tech did not do anything. The updated MR should bring the software version to 1.10. 1.06 is the one that shipped with the phone when first introduced.

I can't remember was there a 1.08? My phone is less than a year old.
    and nobody believed me...
    Last edited by Zeroth; 07/05/2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: (misspelled believed)
    Palm Downloads and Treo Tips and Tricks:
    Opensourcepalm.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast