Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I talked with verizon support, today and they told me the "software update" was only for in-store stock, not for consumers devices. The tech read from a company bulletin. I asked for a copy - here it is:

"EQUIPMENT ALERT

Palm TREO 700P Software Update M&P

Concern: Due to reported issues with Palm TREO 700P devices exhibiting wakeup, lockup or freeze issues, Palm has developed new software to address this concern. As a result, all store Palm Treo 700P inventory are required to have a mandatory software upgrade..

Important Reminder: Equipment Software Alert will be provided once software has been posted online for customer downloads.

Resolution: Stores will be receiving a package with a preloaded removable SD memory card from Palm directly with the necessary software and instructions the week of June 25th sent to attention of Store Manager. Stores should immediately begin to upgrade all store stock.

Stores are not to upgrade consumer devices, software will be posted shortly for customer download..

Handsets will be shipped with new software version on the box label Treo700p-1.10-VZW to indicate updated software. To check the software version on the handset itself:

1. Press the Phone key (located below the green Send key).
    2. Press the Menu key (located to the right of the Alt key).
    3. Scroll to the right to the Options Menu, then click on Phone Info. (SW should be Treo700P-1.10-VZW). "

So, the MR is supposed to be posted "shortly". I asked when but the tech did not know (but he did say soon).

bob
    Just got back from my Verizon Store! Tech named "Freddy" updated my 700P and confirmed new software version "Treo700P- 1.10- VZW". Yes he did use an Sd card. es it did take about 30mins. Yes I did hard reset before giving him the phone. Internet was inoperable w/error however after *228 reprogramming and a soft reset functioned properly. Did notice immediately that pairing my Scala 500 was a breeze! Phone automatically discovered headset and asked for passkey, entered in hit Ok and voila; paired!

On my way home to load software! Get to your verizon store and ask kindly for the "software update"!

We all need a little dirt (life's events) to grow!
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadabob View Post
    I talked with verizon support, today and they told me the "software update" was only for in-store stock, not for consumers devices. The tech read from a company bulletin. I asked for a copy - here it is:

"EQUIPMENT ALERT

Concern: Due to reported issues with Palm TREO 700P devices exhibiting wakeup, lockup or freeze issues, Palm has developed new software to address this concern. As a result, all store Palm Treo 700P inventory are required to have a mandatory software upgrade..

bob
    I wonder if teh replacement phones are shipping with 1.10 - after the ATL store said they didn't have the upgrade and I complained about freezes and lockups they said to call WDTS at 866-425-5284 to get a replacement. One is on the way - so instead of a no cost fix VZW is paying to ship a new phone. Oh well at least my beat up 700p will be brand new again.

Sigh...
    Original quote by Zeroth:
    I have never been able to do the bluetooth thing. I have seen the additional software that you can buy but I am not a big fan of spending a lot of money on software...
    I agree with you. However, one of the things I've noticed since Sony stop making Clies is that I have to pay for every functionality in Palm that I got for free with the Clie. Thus, I'm paying for the bells and whistles in order to be comfortable with the device.
    Being a die-hard Clie fan I waited until Verizon brought the price down to $99. Unfortunately, the price on unlimited data is more and Verizon no longer offers unlimited sms.
    Quote Originally Posted by c5vettes View Post
    The only thing that would be illegal would be if someone went into the store and STOLE the SD card from the techs... hahaha, other than that, no, nothing is illegal about getting the update. Why do you ask? Might you have it?
    This is a very touchy subject, so I feel as though I need to be as informed as possible before offering anything, which may include but is not limited to speculate information about the update and occurrences of the update being performed.

Let's speculate....If a tech had inadvertently left the SD card from Palm in a subscriber's device, the subscriber goes home, runs a backup application which includes everything on the device (including files located on a SD card), and then notices that the tech has left the card in the slot, if that would be considered an illegal transfer. Let's further speculate that the subscribers immediately contacts the store, speaks with the tech and informs the tech that the card will be returned immediately, after which the subscriber delivers the SD card back to the tech. At that point is the distribution of said files construed as illegal as there is no implicit right to distribute or is there a right to distribute to known subscribers?

I would lean on the cautious side and state that as a service pack release, it may not be legal for a non-affiliated party to distribute official software of a service pack or patch available currently only through corporate stores?
    Quote Originally Posted by scodav View Post
    This is a very touchy subject, so I feel as though I need to be as informed as possible before offering anything, which may include but is not limited to speculate information about the update and occurrences of the update being performed.

Let's speculate....If a tech had inadvertently left the SD card from Palm in a subscriber's device, the subscriber goes home, runs a backup application which includes everything on the device (including files located on a SD card), and then notices that the tech has left the card in the slot, if that would be considered an illegal transfer. Let's further speculate that the subscribers immediately contacts the store, speaks with the tech and informs the tech that the card will be returned immediately, after which the subscriber delivers the SD card back to the tech. At that point is the distribution of said files construed as illegal as there is no implicit right to distribute or is there a right to distribute to known subscribers?

I would lean on the cautious side and state that as a service pack release, it may not be legal for a non-affiliated party to distribute official software of a service pack or patch available currently only through corporate stores?
    There is no way that Verizon is "watermarking" the .exe or .prc files that they are sending out on these SD cards to stores. It's not like we are talking about sharing a movie or anything. It's a MR. I'm I think what everyone wants is the MR for their VZW Treo 700p. That's all I want!
    Last edited by c5vettes; 07/08/2007 at 10:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Speculating further--then there would be nothing wrong if you didnt know what the new file you had was and posted it here for us to try and identify. After all if it has effected the performance of your treo identifying it would be of utmost concern.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Sorry for not posting it but I feared issues for posting the update before the offical update. I did find something useful for those of you using Versamail 3.5.1 and having syncing issues with your new updated ROM, follow this link https://ws.palm.com/mypalm/MyPalmGen...kFrom=software

This is the upgrade for Versamail and rumored to correct syncing issues. I do know that a coworker has a 755p with Versamail 3.5.4 and doesn't have issues with calendar syncs or contacts syncs. Take in mind this is the same ROM as the 700p for Sprint, just that the Versamail application is part of the standard ROM load on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by scodav View Post
    Sorry for not posting it but I feared issues for posting the update before the offical update. I did find something useful for those of you using Versamail 3.5.1 and having syncing issues with your new updated ROM, follow this link https://ws.palm.com/mypalm/MyPalmGen...kFrom=software

This is the upgrade for Versamail and rumored to correct syncing issues. I do know that a coworker has a 755p with Versamail 3.5.4 and doesn't have issues with calendar syncs or contacts syncs. Take in mind this is the same ROM as the 700p for Sprint, just that the Versamail application is part of the standard ROM load on the phone.

#1 find an open wireless hotspot.
    #2 Upload it to rapidshare
    #3 while youre at it.. create fake new acct
    #4 post rapidshare link and forget passwd to #3
    #5 Enjoy or fear
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Okay PSM. If you have it, how does it work? Notice anything different or better?
    I can tell you that since I updated the ROM my Treo actually freezes up MORE than it ever use to. I notice web browsing on the Treo is considerably faster. Beyond that, no noticeable improvements. Rather, the Treo is worse than it was with the freezing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadabob View Post

"EQUIPMENT ALERT

Important Reminder: Equipment Software Alert will be provided once software has been posted online for customer downloads.

Resolution: Stores will be receiving a package with a preloaded removable SD memory card from Palm directly with the necessary software and instructions the week of June 25th sent to attention of Store Manager. Stores should immediately begin to upgrade all store stock.

Stores are not to upgrade consumer devices, software will be posted shortly for customer download..

Handsets will be shipped with new software version on the box label Treo700p-1.10-VZW to indicate updated software. To check the software version on the handset itself:

1. Press the Phone key (located below the green Send key).
    2. Press the Menu key (located to the right of the Alt key).
    3. Scroll to the right to the Options Menu, then click on Phone Info. (SW should be Treo700P-1.10-VZW). "

So, the MR is supposed to be posted "shortly". I asked when but the tech did not know (but he did say soon).

bob
    You guys are probably aware of this by now, but the update IS available on Palm's website...
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...ate/index.html
    The problem is, the update is useless. My Treo 700p actually functions worse since the update, because it freezes up more. Palm didn't fix that AT ALL. Messaging still causes occasional freezing...just as it did before the update. Phone still freezes on occasion...just as it did before the update. Completely worthless update. The Treo 700p is the last Palm product I'll ever own. For Palm to take this long to update a clearly flawed product, and then for the update to barely fix anything is just unacceptable. If Palm is going to sell me crap hardware and take a year and a half to "almost" fix it, then I have no use for them anymore. I suggest you guys hold off on updating until the poor slobs like me have done the beta testing for Palm and VZW. I'll bet anything there will be a revised update coming very soon.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Welcome to the board...your anger at Palm (and the carriers) is shared by many, and probably enraged you to the point that you didn't realize where you were posting. There are several others threads to post the results of your update, rather than in one entitled "The Verizon 700p MR Is Not Available." For example, here is a thread entitled "The Verizon MR Update IS Here....Post Your Results":

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=147261

This thread needs to die, IMHO, since the Verizon MR has been out for almost two weeks.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123