1.    #1  
    I took my three week old 755 back to the Sprint store today to exchange it for a new one because it has become unstable and keeps rebooting. The Sprint rep seemed competent and genuine, and he uses a Treo.

He told me my problem is that I have all my third party apps in main memory and that all Treos with later revs of the Palm OS require that they reside on the card. Is this true? I certainly had a lot of main memory free, so that was not the issue.

I am running Takephone (which does not want to run properly from the card), Opera (which will not run from the card at the moment, although I may have messed up with moving it and/or the Java engine), Snappermail and JpegWatchLite. I was running Voicedial but I am not as of right now.

I earlier tried using Butler, but it seemed to make the 755 less stable so I took it off.

Am I wasting my time trying to force these apps to run of the card, or is the Sprint guy right? I am beginning to miss the simple stability of my old 600.

Thanks
    Completely ridiculous and false!!! I have around 50 apps on my 755 and all are in RAM. My last reset was three weeks ago after installing an app that I for the most part new would not work. One of those apps is Butler. I do use TakePhone, but don't use any of the others you mention.
    Yes, it's true. Err, no...just kidding! 3rd party apps can be either on main or card.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    An application may reside on the card if it does not run at a specific time or specific circumstance, if it does not respond to alarms, if it does not work with another application.

Ben
    That Sprint guy doesn't seem to be doing anybody any favors by spouting that nonsense. Hope he isn't the tech guy for that store. Some apps *can* run off the card, others cannot (the previous poster has a good general guide - though there are exceptions). If in doubt - you should always be safe running from RAM, a *very* few apps have requirements to store certain files (such as databases or other files they reference) on the card. But anyone who tries running everything from the card without discernment will soon have a troublesome Treo - and *not* Palm's fault.

I wish there was a "flag" that could be encoded in the .prc to indicate it was "ok" to run off a card or not (and just pop-up a warning if anyone tried moving them to unsafe areas). Would make this common noobie (and not-so-noobie) issue less prevalent.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Just a tip if you go to the store, do a hard rest and if the problem is fixed its a 3rd party app if the problem is still the same then take it in clean with nothing on it. I had a hardware issue with one of my 700p's and the tech gave it back to me and blamed it on 3rd party applications and noted that in my account. I had to call *2 and argue for an hour before they sent me to another repair facility and of course that time I went with a clean 700.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks everyone, you have helped me a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    I had to call *2 and argue for an hour before they sent me to another repair facility and of course that time I went with a clean 700.
    You only had to argue with them for an hour? They must be slipping!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.