Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    This may be a strange request... I'd like to test the new (final) PalmOS SlingPlayer on my EDGE connection. I know it won't be perfect, but I still want to see it in action before buying a slingbox tuner. Would anybody with a slingbox tuner be willing to lend me temporary access to their slingbox to try out the client on my 680? (Or is there such thing as a public slingbox for testing purposes?)
    mportune, let me know how it works out. I expect that it will be "unsatisfying" at best, but if it is passible, I may grab a slingbox myself.

If you get a chance to test it, please post your findings (and also the results of a speed test) to help the rest of us out.

Thanks
    I too would be VERY interested in kicking the tires a bit... I need a solution to keep my little one occupied -- we have a long series of doctor and medical testing ahead of us and need copious amounts of media to keep him occupied.

Before buying my own Slingbox, I was hoping to see if the Palm client works well in my area... anyone know of a public, or semi-public server that can be leveraged for testing?
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    A kind soul (goalie30) has graciously lent me temporary access to his Slingbox. The results over EDGE range from "yeah! it's working!" to "ugh." Here is a video for everyone to see for themselves...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...13072373165735

I apologize for the GSM buzz. I couldn't get a clear shot without being in the zone of interference. Unfortunately, it will drive you insane after about 30 seconds. Thankfully the video is still informative.

In the past I've used Orb and WebGuide and was able to lock the data rate at 100 kbps to stream to Kinoma. The quality wasn't fantastic, but it was consistent, which made it watchable. Unfortunately it appears that the PalmOS SlingPlayer doesn't (yet) have the capability to specify bandwidth, so you're forced to use automatic mode (you can see the constant adjustments in the video). I'm quite pleased with the picture quality, but the wild framerates made it kinda painful. I'd love to see how well it would work locked at 100 kbps. Hopefully a future version will provide this.

Specs:

- Unlocked Treo 680
    - T-Mobile EDGE (in Jacksonville Beach, FL)
    - Typical mobile speed test results return 130-180 kbps w/ the 600K test
    - goalie30 informed me that the upload on the slingbox end is 400 kbps

Hope this helps!
    Any coincidence that Major League Baseball has been the most vocal organization giving Sling flack, and you picked a Cubs game for your test?
    Goalie30,

I'd like to thank you again for your gracious and kind actions -- allowing two fellow TC-ers access to your Slingbox.

I spent just a few minutes watching SportsCenter -- a good mix of fast action (replay clips) and more static content (gents at the desk). All I can say is that I'm quite impressed. The palm application works far better than I had expected.

Specs:

- Sprint Treo 755p
    - Spotty EVDO (in Syracuse, NY)
    - SlingPlayer showed stats of approx 15 fps between 175k and 225k stream
    - Mobile speed test results: 187-224 kbps w/ the 600K test (DSLReports)
    - Slingbox end is 400 kbps (per goalie30)
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goalie30 View Post
    Any coincidence that Major League Baseball has been the most vocal organization giving Sling flack, and you picked a Cubs game for your test?
    heh - I didn't even think of that while I was doing it, but that's pretty funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke View Post
    Goalie30,

I'd like to thank you again for your gracious and kind actions -- allowing two fellow TC-ers access to your Slingbox.

I spent just a few minutes watching SportsCenter -- a good mix of fast action (replay clips) and more static content (gents at the desk). All I can say is that I'm quite impressed. The palm application works far better than I had expected.

Specs:

- Sprint Treo 755p
    - Spotty EVDO (in Syracuse, NY)
    - SlingPlayer showed stats of approx 15 fps between 175k and 225k stream
    - Mobile speed test results: 187-224 kbps w/ the 600K test (DSLReports)
    - Slingbox end is 400 kbps (per goalie30)
    Spotty EVDO?
    Heck, I live in Auburn and my Slingbox works fine. Amazing device. Sprint works good here, and I'm using a 700p.
    A friend let me access his Slingbox on my 755p. It worked but the radio got hot from constant streaming and dimmed the screen. For long-term use, that's not so good.

Tom
    i would love to test this out on my treo anyone wanna lend me temp access please pm me!
    I have a 755p on sprint EVDO and is amazing. I use my slingbox all the time and it worth it to go out and get one, you can even instal the sling program onto a USB flash drive and plug it into others computers and launch the program if you dont have your laptop with you.

But before you buy a slingbox make sure your internet at home has an upload speed faster than 512kbps I recommend 1mb upload speed if you are going to be watching it on a computer, but 512k will be more than enough for a treo which I usual run 200-250kbps depending on what I am watching.
    How well it works may depend on you location. Here is Lincoln, NE I constantly get pauses and skipping. And from time to time it will disconnect saying "Low signal", even though I am practically in the shadow of the cell tower with five bars Wish I had a test site to connect to. But when I was in KC a couple of weeks ago it worked great. I have a Sprint 700p.
    I'd like to check it out too on my 750...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mportune View Post
    In the past I've used Orb and WebGuide and was able to lock the data rate at 100 kbps to stream to Kinoma. The quality wasn't fantastic, but it was consistent, which made it watchable.
    I've been playing with Orb myself, but I don't have the correct TV Tuner card for TV to work ( I like the access to other data on my PC though). However, my boss has a Slingbox that I can watch, and it works great. Here's my question. Which do you prefer? I have a choice between buying the correct tuner card for about $80, or I can get a Sling tuner for around $100. As for watching, it's either on my Treo (700P with Sprint), or on my laptop using the Treo as Modem feature. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Tim
    Using MotoQ on Sprint
    Supporting Treo 650's, 700P's and MotoQ's on Sprint and Verizon.
    Good Admin too
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PCTim View Post
    I've been playing with Orb myself, but I don't have the correct TV Tuner card for TV to work ( I like the access to other data on my PC though). However, my boss has a Slingbox that I can watch, and it works great. Here's my question. Which do you prefer? I have a choice between buying the correct tuner card for about $80, or I can get a Sling tuner for around $100. As for watching, it's either on my Treo (700P with Sprint), or on my laptop using the Treo as Modem feature. Any thoughts?
    There are pros and cons to both, and each user has their own needs. The only reason I've gotten away from using Orb & WebGuide is that my PC is a bit of a power hog so I'm letting it sleep now instead of running it 24/7. A slingbox can stay on all the time with minimal power usage, so it's an attractive option. (Also, as I get older, I find I'm drawn toward replacing key software with appliances that handle the functionality - Maybe 30 years of tweaking has finally taken its toll). Of course this means I no longer have access to the DVR-recorded shows on my PC, but for me right now a cheaper power bill is more important.

Also in terms of usability, Orb & WebGuide both use the browser for their interface. While the streaming quality is roughly the same, flipping back and forth between Blazer and Kinoma on the treo gets to be tiresome, and I long for a single app that handles everything (enter SlingPlayer).

I'm sure others have opinions on this too. Hopefully you'll get more feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlord III View Post
    How well it works may depend on you location. Here is Lincoln, NE I constantly get pauses and skipping. And from time to time it will disconnect saying "Low signal", even though I am practically in the shadow of the cell tower with five bars Wish I had a test site to connect to. But when I was in KC a couple of weeks ago it worked great. I have a Sprint 700p.
    Do you have chatter or something in the background checking emails ect? I know someone on the sling community had a similar problem to you and that was found to be caused by another 3rd party app checking stuff on the web.

Even when I am in a none EVDO area I get a sold 128kbps and never get a pause or low signal.

Again if you have a slow upload at home like most people have 256kbps upload and someone is surfing the internet they it will cause pauses and choppy video, thats why I recommend at least a 1mb upload so people can use the internet at home and you can sling on your phone/computer no problem.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I would like to "try before I buy" also. Can someone let me test it out? I work 4PM-12AM (EDT) so I could test during off hours if that's better. If you can help me out, PM me.
    Thanks!
    how does orb and slinbox work, if someone could let me know id greatly appreciate, i just ordered 755p and was thinking about getting one of these but wanted to know more about each one and how they work as i have said
    Sounds like this would be a good idea for an offshore company to set up with most popular tv and many multiple slingboxes
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Well, I decided to go with the tuner card (and more memory for the PC), and I now have ORB working beautifully I can stream it from either my Treo 700P, or from my laptop using the Treo as a modem (not to mention ANY internet enabled computer). I actually logged into it while my wife was on the computer at home, and while I was streaming TV from it, she was going about her business without any noticable slow downs. I also ran ORB side by side with my boss's slingbox with our Treo's. The picture and sound were pretty much equal, but there was about a 5 - 10 second delay with mine. Overall I'd say ORB is a success!

I'm also dual booting my PC now (XP Pro and Vista Ultimate). I installed the tuner card under XP originally (works great), but under Vista, the audio stutters a bit. I also need to get my web cam working under Vista too, but all of this is for a different forum
    Tim
    Using MotoQ on Sprint
    Supporting Treo 650's, 700P's and MotoQ's on Sprint and Verizon.
    Good Admin too
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast