Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I picked up the iPhone Saturday and activated it today. The screen is awesome and the interface is fun to play with. However, for every day usage, the Treo 700p, in my opinion, wins over the iPhone. A pretty screen means nothing when anything data related is slower than Christmas on AT&T's network. Web pages take forever to load on the Edge network and e mail crawls when downloading. Sprint may have problems, but their speeds can't be matched. There is very little customization with the iPhone... no little games, clocks, hourly chimes, or fun things that you can download for the palm os. The iPhone's virtual keyboard is better than I thought. Syncing with Outlook leaves something to be desired as well. No color coding of events. Beyond Contacts does that with the Treo. Notes are not synced and the times for events are different on the iPhone than that in Outlook. Excel and Word documents can't be changed on the iPhone. I do have to say that people I have called with the iPhone say the sound is fantastic. Since I really do not use the iPod feature of the iPhone, it will go back shortly. I can't justify spending $600 on the iPhone when the Treo 700p offers so much more. I can play music and movies on the Treo just as well as the iPhone. So, to those thinking of ditching the Treo 700p for the iPhone... DON'T! BCA
    aren't you going to have to pay a 10% restocking fee?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Actually I think the restock fee is 15%... I also will not get the activation fee refunded. All in all, it will probably cost me about $130 to return the iPhone and cancel my AT&T service... worth the experience. Don't make the mistake I did. BCA
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BCA2812 View Post
    I can play music and movies on the Treo just as well as the iPhone.
    You mean the iPhone stutters when playing music too?
    LOL! Good one...
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Using Pocket Tunes and Kinoma Player, I listen to music with no problem and watch copied DVDs that I have on my SD card. BCA
    ATT sucks I don't know why people would drop sprint or verizon. Their signal is no where CLOSE to CDMA. GSM will never be as good as CDMA its impossible. The GSM phones may be better but its not worth it when you lose signal and data.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCA2812 View Post
    Using Pocket Tunes and Kinoma Player, I listen to music with no problem and watch copied DVDs that I have on my SD card. BCA
    You're dangerous. Don't you have to violate the DCMA to do that. You are going to rot in jail man! ;-)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    aren't you going to have to pay a 10% restocking fee?
    You mean you don't get a free trial period? That kind of sucks, doesn't it? (And I was hoping we could all help Palm/Sprint/Verizon out by buying and returning iPhoines! ;-)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    ebay it.. selling like hot cakes
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    You mean the iPhone stutters when playing music too?
    After the MR, I have no stuttering problems. very pleased
    I was thinking about the iPhone as well. However, I am reluctant to switch to AT&T. Further, I'd wait until I can edit documents on the iPhone. This is an invaluable function I have on the 700p, which I really like.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    I finally got to check out a friend's iPhone last night... Holy crap! If I could get one on Sprint (I will not switch to AT&T), I would chuck my 700p in an instant. I can do a lot more things on the 700p, but what the iPhone does, it does SO WELL, I (personally) would be willing to give up the extras to have the stability and speed I saw. Not to mention, it makes the Treo look and feel like a piece of junk. I can't wait to see where they are going to take this in the future. In any case, I think in the long run, this will be a win-win for everyone. Apple has raised the bar so far, everyone else is really going to have to step up. I am curious to see what Palm's response to this will be. After years (and years) of coasting, they are going to have to get their act together if they want to survive...
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I have to agree, AT&T is the big problem. Sure I'd like the iPhone to be less expensive, have a SD card slot, removable battery, and Docs to Go but for me the real deal breaker is AT&T.

If Sprint had the iPhone for $399 with their $15.00 unlimited EVDO plan it would be awesome. Too bad it's not gonna happen.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Got an IPhone. NO activation problem. Porting number from Verizon took about 1 minute. Data plan is much cheaper than VZW. IPhone is not problem prone like the Treo.

You prefer the Treo. You must be nuts!
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    Well, it could be that the iPhone can't:

Keep the database of servers I rely on (handbase).
    Keep track of passwords (ewallet).
    Allow remote access to the servers (tussh).
    Act as a modem for my laptop when in the field (usbmodem).
    Integrate a calendar/todo's/journal (datebk6).
    Secure the above against loss (teallock).

...or maybe I'm just nuts.

The iPhone is nice. If all you need is a phone that can web browse and play music, then its design can't be beat. But I need a smartphone.

I really hope that Palm can pull their act together and survive because I depend on my Treo. Daily. And there's nothing out there that will do what it does (with the possible exception of the WM-based units - and I hate that OS).
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    The Iphone will have apps developed over time. I felt that for it to be successful you would have to wait until the second or third generation. However, smart thinking on the part of Apple, announcing before the release that updates will be available in the coming year. I don't like the Iiphone from what I have read, but I think it will push other manufacturer's into the intermediate level of smartphones. I don't think palm think the iphone will impact them as much as the rest of the world believes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    Well, it could be that the iPhone can't:

Keep the database of servers I rely on (handbase).
    Keep track of passwords (ewallet).
    Allow remote access to the servers (tussh).
    Act as a modem for my laptop when in the field (usbmodem).
    Integrate a calendar/todo's/journal (datebk6).
    Secure the above against loss (teallock).

...or maybe I'm just nuts.

The iPhone is nice. If all you need is a phone that can web browse and play music, then its design can't be beat. But I need a smartphone.

I really hope that Palm can pull their act together and survive because I depend on my Treo. Daily. And there's nothing out there that will do what it does (with the possible exception of the WM-based units - and I hate that OS).
    Agree... I have handled two iPhones so far. I do really like the style and size. But, I rely on my Treo to heavily for business. I do all you listed, plus many more on my 755. I have not had any problems with my 755. Yes, it's simple, but it does what I "need" it to do. My 650 did what I needed and was very stable. I felt the 755 was an upgrade with simply the form factor change. It feels so much smaller than it actually is.

I'm not putting down iPhone in any shape or form. It's a great looking/feeling/functioning device. It just doesn't do all that I "need".
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    Got an IPhone. NO activation problem. Porting number from Verizon took about 1 minute. Data plan is much cheaper than VZW. IPhone is not problem prone like the Treo.

Your definitely not a power user in the smartphone arena. You have a Treo and don't know the power that you hold in your hands. These types are a lot of the people jumping ship just for the beauty and ahhh.

You prefer the iphone. You must be nuts
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    ...I'm a Mac-using Treo 700p user. The idea of something that will sync into the same OS, using the same calendar and Address Book programs has a mighty strong appeal. And these are the main reasons I want a PDA/Smart/Call It What You Will Phone. So I'm not a Power User by any means.

The reason I say I'm lucky, is that I bought my Treo in December. One month before Stevie announced the iPhone. So I'm locked in with Sprint for another 18 months. Why does this make me lucky? It stops me from being tempted to jump on the iPhone now. I'm forced to wait for at least the 2nd gen. device. By then, we might be on the 3rd generation. I would imagine many improvements will be made by then, perhaps even Stevie will find a way to allow real software development by 3rd parties.

We'll see...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast