Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I think the reality is that they reach a very different market. If you have a 700p with few or no issues and wish to use your smartphone as a laptop replacement, then the ability to edit Office docs may be more important than music.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    God, I honestly love the sexy factor of the iPhone. The clever design (Apple never misses a beat here) and the finger flip functionality made me immediately want to jostle into position last Friday for one of the first available boxes. Two of my good friends did just this and they wowed me later with their devices. One is a former Mac store genius and he was elated with the device and he has always used OSX functionlality for his needs. The other is a PC user who has been slowly led astray and, honestly, this guy buys a new phone every three months and has a closet of devices that would rival the Smithsonian.

I am on my third Treo and with more than 500 names in my contact list, I just cannot beat the ease with which I go between home and work (Mac user here btw) and sync my life. Love that I can run all eight email accts and use third party apps for IM not to mention use the phone as a modem. The iPhone is Way Cool but I just don't see it as a Treo replacement. With no insurance plan, it feels like buying a laptop without Apple Care.

My $.02
    No one here has mentioned another huge flaw for business users: no contact or calendar search on the iPhone. Can you imagine trying to find a contact out of 1500 records by scrolling through a list?

Dawn
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    I fooled around with an Iphone last night. Although I would buy something like this specifically for an Ipod replacement, remove the AT&T Network and phone, keep Wifi for internet, and keep the functionality for Multi Media, and I'll jump on board in a second. I attempted to type on that screen, and if I had small fingers, it would work for me.....I have larger fingers and it didn't recognize one letter button push or word. That phone wouldnever work for me.

I am loving my Treo 700P, 3rd party apps, a real keyboard, excellent network, so many functions, it does what Iphone does and so so soooo much more.
    The iPhone is awesome, but it's what it's missing that will stop me from getting it.
    - No high-speed connection to network.
    - No tethering to my laptop (or if I'm mistaken, it'd be too slow anyways).
    - I want to be able to use it as a thumb drive.
    - I need to be able install some applications (not just when I have web access). If the web widgets would reside in memory I could probably work with it.
    - Does it record video?

In two years (I think that's the exclusive agreement) when it's available on more networks at faster speed with enough storage to substantially replace my iPod I'll seriously consider it.

But who knows what else might be out by then...

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    Well, I prefer a device that works. Not one that is flaky. I admit that the IPhone does not have all the available apps that the Treo does, but the IPhone does do everything that it advertises and does them well. Bluetooth works, browser does not lag when exiting, email program that is built in does not cause lag, and the random resets are not the products of a well built device. Granted, the IPhone cannot run Slingplayer, or Butler, or Tom Tom, or the numerous games that are available, but what good is all this software if the device is unstable out of the box. I understand that there are numerous people that love their Treo, but as I said before, I have had 3 replacements and they have all acted the same way. I could load a good amount of apps, but using most of them, either reset or lagged the device.

Hey, everyone has their needs and wants. I wanted a stable device, first and foremost, and all the software and apps were icing. The Treo (650 and 700) did not deliver this, but I dealt with it since most other devices weren't any better. Now that another choice has emerged, I went to that. Now I can check my email, listen to music, browse the web, check stock prices, check the weather, txt message, make calls, watch videos, use a bluetooth headset, use WIFI, and watch YouTube, use a camera that is much better, all without lag, resets, or hiccups. There will be apps written for the Iphone, non-web later on, and I can wait until then. Hell, I waited over a year for a non-existent Maintenance Release for my VZW 700P, so I can wait a little while for more features on the IPhone.

Anyway, I am sure that there are lot on this forum that hate me for hating the Treo, and double hate me now that I have the IPhone, but I don't give a sh1t about your thoughts. I know that I have a good device, and I know it works much better than the 700P, out of the box, ever could. So if you are content with having to purchase an email program on top of the cost of the Treo, among other things that you must purchase to have better versions of the built in software, then stick with the Treo, otherwise, there are other options out there. The Treo is not for everyone, and the IPhone is not for everyone, but the IPhone is, hands down, much more powerful and more stable than the Treo. That is just a fact.

Thanks
    So why the fork are you posting here?!
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    The iPhone is awesome, but it's what it's missing that will stop me from getting it.
    - No high-speed connection to network.
    - No tethering to my laptop (or if I'm mistaken, it'd be too slow anyways).
    - I want to be able to use it as a thumb drive.
    - I need to be able install some applications (not just when I have web access). If the web widgets would reside in memory I could probably work with it.
    - Does it record video?

In two years (I think that's the exclusive agreement) when it's available on more networks at faster speed with enough storage to substantially replace my iPod I'll seriously consider it.

But who knows what else might be out by then...

Gary
    Better make that in 5 years. AT&T agreement is that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    The Iphone will have apps developed over time. I felt that for it to be successful you would have to wait until the second or third generation. However, smart thinking on the part of Apple, announcing before the release that updates will be available in the coming year. I don't like the Iiphone from what I have read, but I think it will push other manufacturer's into the intermediate level of smartphones. I don't think palm think the iphone will impact them as much as the rest of the world believes.
    The iPhone will NOT have apps developed for it locally...Apple has made sure of that. The only apps that will be available are web apps that use Safari...they specifically designed the phone this way so as not to screw with the OS and firmware.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2 View Post
    The iPhone will NOT have apps developed for it locally...Apple has made sure of that. The only apps that will be available are web apps that use Safari...they specifically designed the phone this way so as not to screw with the OS and firmware.
    Interesting point. Apple has still not learned their lesson apparently. One of the reasons the platform we are now on in the computer world dominates is because of Apple's history for hamstringing third party development. Deja Vu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    Interesting point. Apple has still not learned their lesson apparently. One of the reasons the platform we are now on in the computer world dominates is because of Apple's history for hamstringing third party development. Deja Vu.
    exactly...that was apples downfall over a decade ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    Well, I prefer a device that works. Not one that is flaky.
    Hey, everyone has their needs and wants. I wanted a stable device, first and foremost, and all the software and apps were icing.

Anyway, I am sure that there are lot on this forum that hate me for hating the Treo, and double hate me now that I have the IPhone,

Thanks
    Hmm, where to begin.

How about stability: I guess you haven't read any of the iPhone forum complaints about Safari: it appears to crash at least as often as the worst Treos. I'd say Blazer on my 700p crashes perhaps once a month or less. Other than Blazer, my Treo may spontaneously reset once every 6 or 8 weeks. I call that pretty stable.

Hate you? I couldn't care less, whether you own an iPhone or not.

Oh, you're very welcome. Feel free to post more inane comments any time.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2 View Post
    According to the rumor mill, Apple has a native app OSX SDK on the way. I would NOT buy an iPhone based on a rumor, though.
    I tried the iPhone for a week. The ATT coverage was horrible in my area. My call dropped 3 times in 2 miles. The edge network took 90 seconds longer to download the same page as my treo. Great looking phone. No 3 rd party apps, slow spotty newtork. Just not worth it. Apple was nice to not charge a restocking fee though!
    I'm not tempted to get an iPhone at this point, but I do wish the Treo had a good browser that could display standard pages the way it does and then zoom in and out by tapping.
    I wouldn't swap my Treo for an iPhone . . . the thought never crossed my mind until this question popped up. AT&T coverage, limitation of add-ons, slower data speeds are my reasons. I guess I'm nuts!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
  17. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I think the reality is that they reach a very different market. If you have a 700p with few or no issues and wish to use your smartphone as a laptop replacement, then the ability to edit Office docs may be more important than music.

Different strokes for different folks.
    I'm not sure why folks are comparing these two phones. Not only do they do different things, but they are aimed at different users.

The iphone is aimed at folks that want ipod functionality and a great screen for looking at video.

The Treo is aimed at business users that occasionally want to watch the news or listen to music.

The iphone has few apps and most are developed by apple.

The treo has lots of apps and most are developed by others.

Does this sound like Microsoft and Apple?

Like a Windows XP machine, the Treo is very stable with well written apps developed specifically for the device.

The iphone, does graphics and audio better than the Treo - just like Apple - but some business apps are either missing or an afterthought.

The iphone is undoubtedly a great phone/video player/ipod and if you bought your Treo for that then you should switch.

If, OTOH, you bought your treo to use as a modem, edit MS Office documents and manage IT services, then the treo wins hands down.

Personally, my Treo is rock solid. My BT works well to connect to my headset and my car, my business and few personal apps work well with the exception of Bob's Clock (Mobile Clock) that seems to reboot when you try to snooze ever since the MR.

The MobileClock folks are aware of this issue and are, I assume, working on a fix.

I only use the Pocket Tunes or video player as a "look at what thing can do" program, so it gets used about once a month.
    Cheers

Charles
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    ... the Treo is very stable ...
    I think a lot of people might not agree with this phrase.
  19. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
    I think a lot of people might not agree with this phrase.

...if you take the few words out of context.

The complete sentence was "Like a Windows XP machine, the Treo is very stable with well written apps developed specifically for the device."

The majority of treo owners never add apps or change any of the standard settings and they find the phones very stable.

I actually just plugged in my SD card (with a recent backup) from my 650 into my new 700p as I was walking out of the Sprint store and everything worked - I find that pretty amazing....
    Cheers

Charles
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234