Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    ATT sucks I don't know why people would drop sprint or verizon. Their signal is no where CLOSE to CDMA. GSM will never be as good as CDMA its impossible. The GSM phones may be better but its not worth it when you lose signal and data.

Not for everyone, the Sprint signal sux where I live and ATT's is good. Have heard the 755p gets stonger reception than the 650 I have. Since I have 4 mos left on my contract Sprint is unwilling to help (charge me $500 for a 755p).
    Last edited by ttrundle; 07/04/2007 at 06:31 PM.
    While definitely a sexy piece of kit, until an SDK is released for it, I'm sticking with my Treo. I may not be a so-called "power user", but I'll be damned if I'm going to give up my eBooks, AvantGo, games, MS Office editing, and EVDO for a (much) sexier form-factor and better music/video playback functionality (which I don't really use anyway).

Let's see what the 2nd and 3rd generation bring. By then we should be seeing some application development and some much needed improvements in AT&T's network. For now, my 700p is everything I need.

Regards,
    Adam
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You fail at being a power user. Now you're just another user of the noob phone.
    Gee, that is useful insight.
    Lock and Load!
    Got my iPhone and finally dumped my quirky 700p. Am now a very happy camper (mostly Mac based) and not looking back. It's no Treo, since I've given up SplashID, reading .doc files, etc., but as it turns out, I won't miss them given how much I like my new iPhone.

Phone, music, camera, email, web browsing via wi-fi, notes and contact info are all there, and easy to work with. The iPhone even exceeded my expectations. Goodbye Palm!

Many of you out there would not be happy with the iPhone as a workhorse PDA, but since I need my laptop anywayfor other stuff when I'm out of state, etc., I'm happy with my Mac-compatible iPhone, no more bluetooth problems, great design and intuitive controls throughout.

Will still use my 700p and GPS with Tom Tom though!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    I AM what you would consider a power user.

I had the following on my Treo:
    Agendus Pro
    Agendus Mail SSL
    Darts Deluxe, and many other games
    SlingPlayer
    PDANet

I used the Treo for email, modem, internet, phone (duh), music player, video player, pictures, etc.
    Now the IPhone may not have all the games and specialty apps available for it, but the Treo is so poorly implemented, anything I did would cause problems. I would go to Blazer and then try to leave, reset. I would use Agendus Mail for email, a lot of times, it would reset. I would use Agendus to look at my calendar and sometimes, reset. I would sometimes be in the middle of a text message and a call would come in, reset. I would try sending a text message, and the phone would lock up for about 5 seconds, then release. I would try using Pocket Tunes, but it skips like crazy. I would try using Slingplayer to view video, reset. PDANet worked sometimes, but would cause lag after leaving the app.

You cannot do anything with this device without having a reset or lag. Although all these applications are available for it, the crap device renders them useless, if the freakin thing is going to keep resetting or lagging. Now mind you, I have gone through 4 of them, all with similar results.

Now with IPhone, I can view full length movies, listen to hours of music, all skip free. I can browse the internet with a decent virtually full browser. I can do email without lag. I can check stocks and weather instantly. I can use Google Maps integrated with business lookup and dial a number directly from there, and it is seamless. A world clock is built in. The camera is an actual 2 megapixel, not some fake crappy 1.3 megapixel. SMS has no lag. The Calendar function is just like any other.

So for me, and my experience with the Treo, this change is more than welcome and more than worth the money for the IPhone. Now I know that there are things that the IPhone cannot do now, but I am glad to trade off some of those things to get a 100% reliable and stable device that does not need resetting after everything I would do. I have had it for 3 days now and have not had any problems or lag or need to reset.

So maybe I don't keep an EMS database on my Treo, or keep an encyclopedia on the SD card, or use it for real estate lock boxes, or use it for corporate email (since my company only supports Blackberry use), or use it for remote desktop or remote shell access (although this is totally useless since you cannot read the text or see the icons), but I did use it for the uses that I mentioned, and it could not even do those without crapping out. So you say I don't know the power I had in my hands? Well think about this. The OS on the Treo takes about 60MB on the device, with the built-in apps. OS X on IPhone takes are 700MB, including all the built-in software. So you think the Treo has a lot of power? Well, to each his/her own, but do not mistake me for someone that does not know how to use the device the way it was meant to, "Power User". The device is not capable of being a "Power User" device. Now I cannot speak for the Treo 755P, but after dealing with this 700P for over a year, and no updates of any worth from Palm, even now, I am not willing to give any more money to Palm for any of their products.

Thanks for your time.
    I do all that and more and don't have lag or resets. I have virtually no problems with any Treo I have had. Now have a 755 and to me it was an upgrade from the 650. I hammer it hard all day and to date they have all worked great.

Now, I've probably just jinxed myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Gee, that is useful insight.

Maybe, but i get tired of seeing people rip the Treo. Sure, palm kinda sucks with the support, but saying stuff like it resets every time he does something? Whatever. The iphone isn't 100% either..or he's ignoring a lot of the complaints out there in iphone land.

If the iphone works for you then great...
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I just hope this inspires Palm to begin to develop more updates for their existing devices. If Apple keeps updating the iPhone anything like they do OS X, then it will be a totally different device even 6-8 months from now.

Obviously any Treo is a much more powerful device. I use mine for everything I can possibly think of (even as a Starcaddy like device), but the design on the iPhone is unlike anything we have ever seen.

If the biggest knock against the iPhone is lack of flexibility, then there may be no knocks before long if you look at what they have done with OS X.
    For those people who care deeply about ringtones, flipping albums on the screen, watching movies on your phone (?), the absolute newest technology and appearance, the iPhone is clearly the ticket (unless of course you also demand wireless stereo BT). For someone who needs Exchange access for work purposes, the ability to read Word files, tethering when on the road, and a keyboard with feedback, there isn't any comparison...these are very different devices, built for different people. Even if you are a Mac person, there is no question that the current implementation of iPhone is not a work machine, and the Treo isn't that great a media machine. To each their own. My Treo has been amost perfect. No lags, no resets, the occasional crash, and every time there has been a problem, I've been able to figure out what the cause was and fix it. And I can listen to a few skipping songs, watch Slingplayer, and the occasional video if need be, but those aren't the reasons I need a converged device.
    I posted in another thread gushing about the Iphone but after a week of seeing a friend use it I change my mind. all it is is a glorified IPOD. its superior for watching videos and music but its internet and email suck. part of the blame is at&t network which is slow. I just wish the treo had a better camera and was thinner but if you do more then just listen to music and watch movies then the Treo is superior. Now I hear the Iphone 2.0 will be awsome and improved (browser etc) so it may be the phone to do it all but until at&t upgrades there network it may not matter. for all the crap sprint gets , there network is top notch. I get speeds here in NJ and NYC that rival my home Broadband connection. I rarley use my home pc as my treo does it all
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by #1, The Larch View Post
    Got my iPhone and finally dumped my quirky 700p. Am now a very happy camper (mostly Mac based) and not looking back. It's no Treo, since I've given up SplashID, reading .doc files, etc., but as it turns out, I won't miss them given how much I like my new iPhone.
    I believe that the iPhone can read Word and Excel files, the limitation is that you can't edit them. For me, that's how I use my Treo anyway, simply to store and view the occasional file, but for someone who relies on the ability to edit and save on the Treo, this would be a big problem.
    Can't imagine doing too much editing. Biggest problem of switching is AT&T (slow speed and increased cost), lack of games & other apps, lack of tethering (even if its not done much..it is more secure than wifi in public). Typing on screen is a concern as well but not much of one.

Seems like apple should be able to get some games like bejeweled, chess, etc on it. And they would look great IMO. Shouldn't be very hard.

I doubt the iphone adds tethering anytime soon if ever. (but the future will probably call for me to have a laptop with a card built in).

But the speed should increase in the future and plans drop in price. If that happens, i may take the plunge. Sprint's coverage in my area is much better though..since i'm in 3G land. Not so on Cingular's map.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Well I am one of those people who was somewhat content with my buggy Treo 700p and had no intention of buying an iPhone. I watched the 20 minute video and was partially seduced. My boyfriend got one the first day and the more we talked about it, the more it pushed me and I bought one on day 2. I'm locked into a contract with Sprint for another 11 months, and I may hold onto it for a bit in order to check work email. But I won't miss the dropped calls, lack of signals in places where friends with AT&T phones have perfect signals. I keep carrying my Treo, but find myself only playing games and using Pocket Quicken.

EVDO is definitely faster, but I am often in places with no EVDO, in which case it's slower than EDGE. Also, the iPhone browser starts working in seconds and renders pages beautifully, how they look on my desktop. Even after the 1.10 update, Blazer often takes 30+ seconds to launch, and is simply annoying to use. And the Treo has no Wi-Fi still, which is just nuts. The iPhone at home with Wi-Fi is a useful net device that I can use from the couch and browse 10 times faster than I could with the Treo. As a program I prefer snappermail to the iPhones mail, but it looks clunky and does not render HTML or images within the mail.

My EDGE speeds are 80-200kb/sec. EVDO can obviously be faster than that, but it has annoying pauses which diminish overall speed.

I'm not advocating ditching the Treo for the iPhone if one is satisfied and obviously if one is dependent on the Palm apps. Already though, I can't see what Palm can do at this point to win me back. The iPhone does what it is designed to do amazingly well right now, and will clearly improve through software updates. The Treo 700p took over a year for 1 update, which only helped somewhat. The Treo 755p isn't all that much better than the 600 from 4 years ago. It's huge, slow, has little memory, and is still buggy.

I have stuck with the Palm OS since 2001 and really want it to remain a viable alternative, certainly to Windows mobile.

What else, well the keyboard on the iPhone does take adjusting too. But after 5 days my typing has dramatically improved in speed and accuracy, and will only get better. I didn't expect to like it, but I actually do.

The worst thing is that there is no insurance plan for it. That $7 Sprint plan meant I never had to worry, and certainly, I have had to get replacements 3 times over the years. I will have to baby my iPhone much more.

Syncing on the Treo has been a nightmare since the 700p. I was never able to properly sync iCal on my mac, even with The Missing Sync. I had problems with the iPhone initially too until I did god knows what, and turned off isync. I will also miss syncing my Treo to both my home mac and my work PC. The iPhone can only do 1, which means I can't really use a desktop calendar program at work.

I guess this is goodbye to the Treo. I tried, and was very patient, but oh well.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Apparently there is the possibilty that the iPhone is using grabbing information it shouldn't need, namely your SSN.

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-973...?tag=nefd.blog

Unless you really need that big of a screen with you, I'd stick with the 700p.
    Got an IPhone. NO activation problem. Porting number from Verizon took about 1 minute. Data plan is much cheaper than VZW. IPhone is not problem prone like the Treo.
    You prefer the Treo. You must be nuts!
    I AM what you would consider a power user.
    Glad you like it! All the other power user kids must really look up to you now.
    Too bad about your battery problem.
    http://forum.phonedifferent.com/show...2&postcount=31
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCA2812 View Post
    Actually I think the restock fee is 15%... I also will not get the activation fee refunded. All in all, it will probably cost me about $130 to return the iPhone and cancel my AT&T service... worth the experience. Don't make the mistake I did. BCA
    It's 10% (that's what they told me) I came very close to buying it, in line for 60 mins and then decided that with the restocking fee 10%, activation fee, use for the phone for 5-7 days. Cost comes out at least $100.00. My Blackberry was misdirected and I will recieve it on Monday!

Treo Central needs to create there BB8830 forum
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Glad you like it! All the other power user kids must really look up to you now.
    Too bad about your battery problem.
    http://forum.phonedifferent.com/show...2&postcount=31
    Well, I prefer a device that works. Not one that is flaky. I admit that the IPhone does not have all the available apps that the Treo does, but the IPhone does do everything that it advertises and does them well. Bluetooth works, browser does not lag when exiting, email program that is built in does not cause lag, and the random resets are not the products of a well built device. Granted, the IPhone cannot run Slingplayer, or Butler, or Tom Tom, or the numerous games that are available, but what good is all this software if the device is unstable out of the box. I understand that there are numerous people that love their Treo, but as I said before, I have had 3 replacements and they have all acted the same way. I could load a good amount of apps, but using most of them, either reset or lagged the device.

Hey, everyone has their needs and wants. I wanted a stable device, first and foremost, and all the software and apps were icing. The Treo (650 and 700) did not deliver this, but I dealt with it since most other devices weren't any better. Now that another choice has emerged, I went to that. Now I can check my email, listen to music, browse the web, check stock prices, check the weather, txt message, make calls, watch videos, use a bluetooth headset, use WIFI, and watch YouTube, use a camera that is much better, all without lag, resets, or hiccups. There will be apps written for the Iphone, non-web later on, and I can wait until then. Hell, I waited over a year for a non-existent Maintenance Release for my VZW 700P, so I can wait a little while for more features on the IPhone.

Anyway, I am sure that there are lot on this forum that hate me for hating the Treo, and double hate me now that I have the IPhone, but I don't give a sh1t about your thoughts. I know that I have a good device, and I know it works much better than the 700P, out of the box, ever could. So if you are content with having to purchase an email program on top of the cost of the Treo, among other things that you must purchase to have better versions of the built in software, then stick with the Treo, otherwise, there are other options out there. The Treo is not for everyone, and the IPhone is not for everyone, but the IPhone is, hands down, much more powerful and more stable than the Treo. That is just a fact.

Thanks
    but the IPhone is, hands down, much more powerful and more stable than the Treo. That is just a fact.>>>

Nope, that's what you want to believe. Trust me, i know what its like to spend 600 or so on a phone. You want to defend it to death.

You bought a phone that is light on features but does them well and looks pretty. That is all. The Treo for many is pretty stable, doesn't lag much, and is preferred with the superior keyboard, one hand use, slingbox, call rec, and other third party apps.

It's really that simple. You like the iphone, and that is fine, but stop posting your opinion as fact. It's really not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by stadanko View Post
    Just stopped by to see if you guys had that Verizon 700p update yet.

Did I mention that I love my new iPhone.
    Video is incredible. Browser Rocks. Bluetooth paired in the car is phenominal. Hasn't rebooted, lagged out, locked up once. There isn't even a hole to reset the thing. Amazing that they don't need one. I was worried that Apple forgot something.

Rumor has it that Apple is going to actually update the iPhone software throughout it's lifecycle. As the owner of several Palms I find this new and wild approach to support shocking. I can't believe that somebody actually thought of this.

Looking forward to smashing 700p against a brick wall and deleting this website from my favorites.
    mate check some Mac forums - they def. know how to reset that baby! It's a combo of the home and power buttons I think - you may need that knowledge some day!

Oh but you've done gone and deleted this bookmark..too bad
    Last edited by bruckwine; 07/06/2007 at 04:42 PM.
    Well, I prefer a device that works. Not one that is flaky. I admit that the IPhone does not have all the available apps that the Treo does, but the IPhone does do everything that it advertises and does them well. Bluetooth works, browser does not lag when exiting, email program that is built in does not cause lag, and the random resets are not the products of a well built device. Granted, the IPhone cannot run Slingplayer, or Butler, or Tom Tom, or the numerous games that are available, but what good is all this software if the device is unstable out of the box. I understand that there are numerous people that love their Treo, but as I said before, I have had 3 replacements and they have all acted the same way. I could load a good amount of apps, but using most of them, either reset or lagged the device.

Hey, everyone has their needs and wants. I wanted a stable device, first and foremost, and all the software and apps were icing. The Treo (650 and 700) did not deliver this, but I dealt with it since most other devices weren't any better. Now that another choice has emerged, I went to that. Now I can check my email, listen to music, browse the web, check stock prices, check the weather, txt message, make calls, watch videos, use a bluetooth headset, use WIFI, and watch YouTube, use a camera that is much better, all without lag, resets, or hiccups. There will be apps written for the Iphone, non-web later on, and I can wait until then. Hell, I waited over a year for a non-existent Maintenance Release for my VZW 700P, so I can wait a little while for more features on the IPhone.

Anyway, I am sure that there are lot on this forum that hate me for hating the Treo, and double hate me now that I have the IPhone, but I don't give a sh1t about your thoughts. I know that I have a good device, and I know it works much better than the 700P, out of the box, ever could. So if you are content with having to purchase an email program on top of the cost of the Treo, among other things that you must purchase to have better versions of the built in software, then stick with the Treo, otherwise, there are other options out there. The Treo is not for everyone, and the IPhone is not for everyone, but the IPhone is, hands down, much more powerful and more stable than the Treo. That is just a fact.

Thanks
    wow that was the most blatent iphone fanboy comment I have seen so far. I didn't know that just because you couldn't handle a treo that a phone that you yourself cant screw up would probably be better for you. It must really burn you that people can use their treo with out problems. People like you need to have a phone you can't install anything on and break. Do us all a favor and rant over in the iphone forum and leave this one to people actually trying to learn more about their device. My 700p can do 10 times what that 'pretty' iphone can do and mine never resets and since the MR no lag whats so ever. So have fun a with a 'take what we give you and like it' device.

I may even get banned for saying this but it really bugs me that people can flame like that and its not even the right forum to be flamming in ...
    Why? The IPhone must really suck.
    Matty
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast