Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I played with iPhone today & I was not very impressed. I'm still happy with my treo even after "experiencing" the iPhone. The on screen keyboard is atrocious, I hit the back button more than I hit any letters. The predictive text was irritating. Safari crashed several times w/in the 10 minutes I played with it. The screen orientation flippage was sluggish. The features were lacking. Test phone calls were laggy & slow. No external memory. No apps. Crappy AT&T service with high bills. Can't download stuff with it. Et cetera!

There's no way I'd give up my Treo for an iPhone. No thanks. Now, if someone were to GIVE me one with free service, I'd take it, but it'd only be a side companion to my Treo. It IS pretty & it does have the "cool" factor, but it's just another sidekick as far as I'm concerned.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I played with the iPhone for about six more hours today and I still can't get over the slowness of ATT's EDGE network. Anything to do with downloading data takes forever. YouTube basically times out, downloading mail takes forever, and web pages take so long to download I could have ran to Starbucks for coffee. I ran a speed test via DSLReports mobile and the iPhone registered 71kb and the Treo 700P registered 146kb. Mail on the Treo accessed with Snappermail is super speedy while the iPhone just pokes along. The iPhone is on e bay now... if I don't sell it, I'll return it within the 14 day trial period. The battery lasted longer than I thought... better than the Treo with an extended battery. I think that has to do with ATT EDGE 2G network using less juice than Sprint's 3G network. I have yet to use a WI FI data connection so I can't say if thats any better. BCA
    Quote Originally Posted by BCA2812 View Post
    I played with the iPhone for about six more hours today and I still can't get over the slowness of ATT's EDGE network. Anything to do with downloading data takes forever. YouTube basically times out, downloading mail takes forever, and web pages take so long to download I could have ran to Starbucks for coffee. I ran a speed test via DSLReports mobile and the iPhone registered 71kb and the Treo 700P registered 146kb. Mail on the Treo accessed with Snappermail is super speedy while the iPhone just pokes along. The iPhone is on e bay now... if I don't sell it, I'll return it within the 14 day trial period. The battery lasted longer than I thought... better than the Treo with an extended battery. I think that has to do with ATT EDGE 2G network using less juice than Sprint's 3G network. I have yet to use a WI FI data connection so I can't say if thats any better. BCA
    The iPhone speeds along on wifi. I watched several youtube clips over lunch today in a wifi enabled food court. Speeds seemed to be very good. Certainly much faster than the crappy EDGE speed.

My Treo 750 moves along pretty good on AT&T's 3G speed, but the web pages are not easy to look at. This, along with the iPod functionality is where the iPhone excels in my opinon.

Certainly the Treo does more, but what the iPhone does, it does very well IMO.
    Lock and Load!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I call a huge BS for the iphone.

OK, it is intended as an ipod/phone. All of the iphone shortcoming are dismissed in reviews by labeling the iphone as NOT a smartphone, but an entertainment device. Oops! No A2DP stereo headset support. That is called a show stopper on the two primary functions of the device!!!

What were they thinking?

My number two usage of my Treo (music is number one, in terms of hours used) is for reading. I spend all of my 5 and 10 minute 'down times' at work, in the car (as a passenger) on the train, etc, reading. I read 40-50 novels and books a year on my phone. Yeah, right, I am going to read them in PDF format (or html) with no bookmarks on the iphone.

I just don't get it. What IS the iphone??? A wired ipod (YUCK), a slooooow web browser/email client, and a phone. All with a slick package.

Pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCA2812 View Post
    Actually I think the restock fee is 15%... I also will not get the activation fee refunded. All in all, it will probably cost me about $130 to return the iPhone and cancel my AT&T service... worth the experience. Don't make the mistake I did. BCA
    Apple stores are apparently waiving the restock fee. Use that knowledge to your advantage at the ATT store (if that is where you bought). IF you bought at the Apple Store - check the threads on MacRumors about the restock fee.
    I must be a bit different.
    I had no intention of going to the iPhone. I have a 1.5 years left on my Verizon contract and I never jump on the first version of any new technology.

At work I don't install new AIX Technology releases until they are at least 3-6 months old, and I don't install new operating systems until they are at least 1 year old. That's just my way.

The commercials for the iPhone makes the thing look AWESOME, and I've read a lot of really good reviews, but I still don't want one, at least no time too soon.
    My Treo 700P is pretty stable. I don't care too much for listening to music so the skipping isn't a factor for me, the only problem I have is the lag during text messaging, and that isn't worth spending $500 on a new device of any kind.
    Just stopped by to see if you guys had that Verizon 700p update yet.

Did I mention that I love my new iPhone.
    Video is incredible. Browser Rocks. Bluetooth paired in the car is phenominal. Hasn't rebooted, lagged out, locked up once. There isn't even a hole to reset the thing. Amazing that they don't need one. I was worried that Apple forgot something.

Rumor has it that Apple is going to actually update the iPhone software throughout it's lifecycle. As the owner of several Palms I find this new and wild approach to support shocking. I can't believe that somebody actually thought of this.

Looking forward to smashing 700p against a brick wall and deleting this website from my favorites.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Returned the iPhone this morning with a 10% restock fee. The ATT rep did not try the "hard sell" routine to try and talk me into keeping the iPhone. I told him that I loved the iPhone, but the slow data speeds were insufficent to meet my needs. Returned the phone and cancelled my service in a matter of minutes. He did add that I may want to wait til December to consider an iPhone since they expect to get an iPhone in that is compatible with 3G. I feel glad to be rid of the thing and the money I spent to experience the iPhone first hand was worth it. Barry
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    i was not impressed at all, on my treo i can type super fast and on the iphone it is hard to spell anything, the web is slow, its cool that u can zoom in on the web pages and so forth but not worth dumping my trusty 700p!!! I was lucky enough to buy the phones and test my friends first before i broke my contract, it would of been a waste of my $. I am looking forward to the palm foleo coming soon i hope, and maybe when my contract is up they will have the 2nd or 3rd gen iphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by stadanko View Post

Video is incredible. Browser Rocks. Bluetooth paired in the car is phenominal. Hasn't rebooted, lagged out, locked up once. There isn't even a hole to reset the thing. Amazing that they don't need one. I was worried that Apple forgot something.

Rumor has it that Apple is going to actually update the iPhone software throughout it's lifecycle. As the owner of several Palms I find this new and wild approach to support shocking. I can't believe that somebody actually thought of this.

Looking forward to smashing 700p against a brick wall and deleting this website from my favorites.
    Looking forward to never seeing you here again.
    the treo can do everything the iphone can do plus more....

i think the whole virtual keyboard is stuipd...i need actual keys

i played with the iphone and the only thing that ipressed me was the sturdy quality and the screen...that's it
    Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post
    the treo can do everything the iphone can do plus more....

i think the whole virtual keyboard is stuipd...i need actual keys

i played with the iphone and the only thing that ipressed me was the sturdy quality and the screen...that's it
    Flipping through the album covers looked really cool, on the commercial anyway.
    The virtual keyboard takes some getting used to... Just like graffiti did. It's a neccessary evil if you want the whole face of the phone to be a screen and be able to use it in both orientations... After messing around with it a bit, I personally like it better than the squeeky keys on my 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Flipping through the album covers looked really cool, on the commercial anyway.
    I do that now on Itunes, and after awhile it gets old. Its cool for a bit and then it wears off. At least it did on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by stadanko View Post

See ya. Don't let the door hit you in the rear on your way out.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hargoth View Post
    I call a huge BS for the iphone.

OK, it is intended as an ipod/phone. All of the iphone shortcoming are dismissed in reviews by labeling the iphone as NOT a smartphone, but an entertainment device. Oops! No A2DP stereo headset support. That is called a show stopper on the two primary functions of the device!!!

What were they thinking?

My number two usage of my Treo (music is number one, in terms of hours used) is for reading. I spend all of my 5 and 10 minute 'down times' at work, in the car (as a passenger) on the train, etc, reading. I read 40-50 novels and books a year on my phone. Yeah, right, I am going to read them in PDF format (or html) with no bookmarks on the iphone.

I just don't get it. What IS the iphone??? A wired ipod (YUCK), a slooooow web browser/email client, and a phone. All with a slick package.

Pass.
    I agree. I use my Treo for both reading and writing my stories & the iPhone just couldn't cut it in that arena. Having to hit back more than any actual letters while typing would drive me batty. In just 10 minutes I found several things about it that would drive me crazy. Safari randomly kept closing on me, the screen rotation was jittery, the missing options were just stupid. No cut & paste? Huh? I cut & paste like 50 times a day! Yeesh. Like I said, it's just another sidekick as far as I'm concerned. But even the sidekick had cut & paste :/
    Last edited by KabukiAssassin; 07/04/2007 at 05:10 PM.
    The iPhone is a very sexy phone. It is very tempting and makes you feel like wanting one. But my 755p does everything I need and want. So there is no reason for me to get an iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Your definitely not a power user in the smartphone arena. You have a Treo and don't know the power that you hold in your hands. These types are a lot of the people jumping ship just for the beauty and ahhh.

You prefer the iphone. You must be nuts
    I AM what you would consider a power user.

I had the following on my Treo:
    Agendus Pro
    Agendus Mail SSL
    Darts Deluxe, and many other games
    SlingPlayer
    PDANet

I used the Treo for email, modem, internet, phone (duh), music player, video player, pictures, etc.
    Now the IPhone may not have all the games and specialty apps available for it, but the Treo is so poorly implemented, anything I did would cause problems. I would go to Blazer and then try to leave, reset. I would use Agendus Mail for email, a lot of times, it would reset. I would use Agendus to look at my calendar and sometimes, reset. I would sometimes be in the middle of a text message and a call would come in, reset. I would try sending a text message, and the phone would lock up for about 5 seconds, then release. I would try using Pocket Tunes, but it skips like crazy. I would try using Slingplayer to view video, reset. PDANet worked sometimes, but would cause lag after leaving the app.

You cannot do anything with this device without having a reset or lag. Although all these applications are available for it, the crap device renders them useless, if the freakin thing is going to keep resetting or lagging. Now mind you, I have gone through 4 of them, all with similar results.

Now with IPhone, I can view full length movies, listen to hours of music, all skip free. I can browse the internet with a decent virtually full browser. I can do email without lag. I can check stocks and weather instantly. I can use Google Maps integrated with business lookup and dial a number directly from there, and it is seamless. A world clock is built in. The camera is an actual 2 megapixel, not some fake crappy 1.3 megapixel. SMS has no lag. The Calendar function is just like any other.

So for me, and my experience with the Treo, this change is more than welcome and more than worth the money for the IPhone. Now I know that there are things that the IPhone cannot do now, but I am glad to trade off some of those things to get a 100% reliable and stable device that does not need resetting after everything I would do. I have had it for 3 days now and have not had any problems or lag or need to reset.

So maybe I don't keep an EMS database on my Treo, or keep an encyclopedia on the SD card, or use it for real estate lock boxes, or use it for corporate email (since my company only supports Blackberry use), or use it for remote desktop or remote shell access (although this is totally useless since you cannot read the text or see the icons), but I did use it for the uses that I mentioned, and it could not even do those without crapping out. So you say I don't know the power I had in my hands? Well think about this. The OS on the Treo takes about 60MB on the device, with the built-in apps. OS X on IPhone takes are 700MB, including all the built-in software. So you think the Treo has a lot of power? Well, to each his/her own, but do not mistake me for someone that does not know how to use the device the way it was meant to, "Power User". The device is not capable of being a "Power User" device. Now I cannot speak for the Treo 755P, but after dealing with this 700P for over a year, and no updates of any worth from Palm, even now, I am not willing to give any more money to Palm for any of their products.

Thanks for your time.
    You fail at being a power user. Now you're just another user of the noob phone.
    I do all the following at the same time with my Treo 755p:
    -Stream music on the background
    -Push email on the background
    -Chat with MSN/IM on the background
    -TomTom navigator on my screen.

So I can have all those running at the same time while I drive on my 755p while the iPhone doesn't have a chatting software or a GPS system and cant stream music either. So while the iPhone can't do all that I'm sticking with my Treo.

Al
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast