Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I just got my BT-359 receiver and want to know what all the available GPS apps are out there, especially ones that are cheap and don't require data access. I'm installing LapTimer which is aimed at autoracing but hopefully it will work well enough on my walks as well.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    ok, I'm trying out the demo for TeleNav and is it right that there is no 3D view? I almost feel it would be better to just get TomTom and use it on my TX, but then the price starts getting out of hand a bit. I bought the GPS for $60 and wouldn't want to spend anything more than maybe $150 total. Hmm So far Google Maps and Whereami? are working best but doesn't really make that much use of the GPS.
    I just don't get the TeleNav draw.... It's really simple.

One year of ownership is the same cost.

TeleNav requires a cellular signal. I've been told in the past that it can cache up a bit ahead, so that's fine if nothing changes, no road closures, no deviations from your route. But what if you have to take another road? Or what if you need to start without a signal from somewhere?

TomTom, no question.
    Yeah, don't get Telenav. I got TomTom and have been so pleased since I got it, I can't even think about another GPS app.

Telenav does have 3D mode, a butchered one that. Just get TT and be done with it. If you search the forums with some keywords about TomTom vs Telenav and GPS, you'll see what I mean.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    What TomTom package should I get?
    If you have a TX and you already have a GPS, you only need to buy the TomTom Navigator package. I was going to say that you should buy TomTom Navigator 6 for $150 from either buygpsnow or from Semsons, but as I check the TomTom website, I'm not confident that the TX will work with TomTom 6. The TX *IS* shown as being compatible with TomTom 5, but I don't know if going with an older version appeals to you.