Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Confirmed today: Verizon's version of the 755p failed its testing. It is being sent back for re-testing. This means another 6-8 week delay. Sorry for the bad news. I am still waiting patiently.

I am trying the iphone. LOVE it, but the signal is marginal which is very frustrating. The phone is absolutely phenomenal. My 700p looks like a brick beside it. Screen is incredible. Software phenomenal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    Confirmed today: Verizon's version of the 755p failed its testing. It is being sent back for re-testing. This means another 6-8 week delay. Sorry for the bad news. I am still waiting patiently.
    I guess Verizon found an extra warehouse full of 700p's somewhere.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post

I am trying the iphone. LOVE it, but the signal is marginal which is very frustrating. The phone is absolutely phenomenal. My 700p looks like a brick beside it. Screen is incredible. Software phenomenal.
    Where did you get this info?
    Why would the Verizon version have poor reception? Doesn't make sense since the Sprint version gets incredible reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Why would the Verizon version have poor reception? Doesn't make sense since the Sprint version gets incredible reception.

Its his I-phone that is getting poor reception, the 755 failed testing for a reason he does not state.

Still would like the source of this info though...
  6. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Oh crap crap crap crap crap! I really need to hear this from one or more additional sources, as I will seriously need to consider leaving Verizon, or something equally drastic. WTF could possibly be so wrong with the phone? Must have been too user-friendly or something.
    just a guess, but verizon is probably being extra careful when testing treo's, they got burned twice with the 700p & the w... sprint only got burned with the 700p, because they let verizon work out all the bugs of the 700w, then they released the wx...
    HTC Touch Pro
  8.    #8  
    I cannot say the exact source or they could lose their job (and I would lose my contact). I spoke with the executive today. Sadly, it is a fact. I was holding off on jumping ship as well. This may push me sooner. I was even pondering the new blackberry. I must stay with VZ for reception. ATT is terrible here.
  9. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'm not in a good place to switch carriers because I'm working out of state for another month and a half. I think my best bet would be to switch to another VZW phone, maybe the 6800 when it comes out. But I've been with Palm for 7 years, and as dated as it is, I have everything set up how I like it. The easy option would be to go to Sprint for the 755, but I don't trust their network and can't test it in my home area until well after my 30 days.
    Locally the verizon reps are saying they haven't had returns on the 700p, just problems with the w. When I said I can I stop in next week (this week) to see the 6800 and the new treo she grinned.
  11.    #11  

Actually that's good news. It means Verizon actually tests their products and sends them back if they've got problems, unlike some other carriers [cough]Sprint[/cough]. We've found now that Palm is unable to release a bug-free device. The 700p has confirmed problems before and after the MR. Since the MR is basically identical to what's found in the 755, it makes sense that those same problems would arise in the 755. Maybe they've decided that the dial-tone problem is unacceptable? Or the bluetooth still isn't up to par? There's plenty of issues that the Sprint 755 users are just living with right now.

That said...if Palm is forced to actually fix those problems before Verizon picks up their phone, those fixes might find their way into the Sprint 755 as well (I dare not dream that the 700p would be fixed too). Just a thought.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Also bear in mind that Verizon tends to have very different software on their phone from Sprint, it may be the extras and or limitations Verizon imposes on it that resulted in them failing it, provided this unverified rumor is true to begin with.

Remember, for example, that the Verizon 650 has a previous generation of the SMS program from the Sprint 650, and just generally a different suite of pre-installed applications. Even little things are different, like phone preference settings, how the phone responds (if at all) to SMS receipts, and the format of hash codes.

And this is nothing new; remember how long it took for Verizon to get the 650 after Sprint had it?
  14. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Well at this point I'm hoping the rumor is true because I plan to go out and buy a 700p in an hour or so. I think my best course of action is to just waste money on something that's obsolete, instead of winding up with a phone or carrier I don't like. And if I'm lucky maybe within 30 days the 755 will be out (or at least announced) and I can return it.

I just want to make sure I can find the Shadowmite tether hack before I buy it.
    Well, if you're interested in a a slightly used refurb 650*, PM or e-mail me...

--A

*-I don't know why people have such a problem with refurbs. Personally, I feel they're a better idea, since if it went in with a problem and had to be repaired, you can be pretty sure they're going to check it out top to bottom individually before reselling it to somebody new. With a new one off the line, QC's more hit or miss, it's one in thousands and I imagine only spot-checked ones get the full top to bottom tests. Of course, not being privy to how either the manufacturer nor the refurbisher runs their QC, this is only educated guessing on my part.
  16. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    No thanks. I decided the 700p is the path of least resistance -- all the features of the 755 except for the form factor (plus I don't need to buy a mini-SD card). I want to get a new contract anyway to adjust my plan and hopefully save more money, and I could be happy with the 700 except for the bit of jealousy when (IF!) the 755 comes out on Verizon. And if the 755 comes out sooner than expected, I suppose there's a chance I could be within my return period.

Just reserved one at a nearby store. Off to pick it up.
    I'm disappointed with this information, but it explains why there has been no real information on the phone...no formal, "it's coming" or anything. And the release date has been extremely well guarded. So I'm not shocked to read this.

However, I've been test driving the Sprint version...and while overall I'm very pleased with this device, the Bluetooth is a disappointment. It is quirky...turns on and off, connects and disconnects, no rhyme or reason to it. Very frustrating. I am hopeful this is at least one of the reasons it failed and that when VZW does get the 755P, the Bluetooth is rock solid.

But man...it's going to suck to have to give back the Sprint one and go back to a TX and separate cell phone until VZW releases theirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Leviss View Post
    Well, if you're interested in a a slightly used refurb 650*, PM or e-mail me...

--A

*-I don't know why people have such a problem with refurbs. Personally, I feel they're a better idea, since if it went in with a problem and had to be repaired, you can be pretty sure they're going to check it out top to bottom individually before reselling it to somebody new. With a new one off the line, QC's more hit or miss, it's one in thousands and I imagine only spot-checked ones get the full top to bottom tests. Of course, not being privy to how either the manufacturer nor the refurbisher runs their QC, this is only educated guessing on my part.
    That's what the employees at my local Sprint Repair Center told me as well when they handed me a refurb. 700P. As soon as I got home with this 700P guess what? The space bar and menu keys didn't work. I've since brought it back in to see if it could be fixed. The techs. couldn't fix it.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I agree, if VZW tested and it failed I'm glad they wont activate another piece of crap phone on their network. Maybe Palm will pull their heads out of their ........... and quit sending 2nd rate designs out the door.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Leviss View Post
    Also bear in mind that Verizon tends to have very different software on their phone from Sprint, it may be the extras and or limitations Verizon imposes on it that resulted in them failing it, provided this unverified rumor is true to begin with....
    I bet (or at least would like to thinkk) it's the bluetooth. Judging from the many complaints in 700p thread, and the huge number of people who switched to other phones (or at least caused lots of headset returns to Verizon accessories, I'm hoping Verizon is showing some business acumen and "raised the bar" (to borrow a term) on their incoming quality standards. *Excellent work* on their part if this is really what's happened.

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast