Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I talked to a Verizon Rep in Lynnwood, Wa Sunday. He said to look for the 755P in late August or Sept, but didn't say anything about a failed test. With Verizon upgrading EVDO perhaps the delay will allow for this new faster product to be on the phone?
  2. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    And here I was hoping the reason it didn't come out at the same time as Sprint was because of Rev A. Either way, that will be great if it allows time for Rev A to be included.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    Confirmed today: Verizon's version of the 755p failed its testing. It is being sent back for re-testing. This means another 6-8 week delay. Sorry for the bad news. I am still waiting patiently.

I am trying the iphone. LOVE it, but the signal is marginal which is very frustrating. The phone is absolutely phenomenal. My 700p looks like a brick beside it. Screen is incredible. Software phenomenal.
    How do they fail a device that works on the sprint network. Palm really needs to get its act together. im not even a vz customer but that sounds lame.
    Verizon always spends more time testing devices than other carriers from what I understand. If this is the case, then Verizon is better off waiting until features work as advertised.
    Yes, it would be nice if it was Rev A, but I'm not holding my breath. If it was indeed due to a failed test, I doubt they'll go back and add something to the specs. Could be wrong...but it isn't typical Verizon policy to add great features when delaying a phone. They much prefer to remove things.

Sigh...I guess it's back to waiting. But man...2 months!!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    An earlier Engadget report DID claim that the VZW 755p would have Rev. A data but right now I am highly doubtful of that claim.

On top of that, the VZW 700p's ROM had considerably less software onboard than Sprint's version. There was no MobiTV/SprintTV equivalent on the Verizon version and VersaMail was actually on the bundled software CD to be installed in RAM instead of ROM (but given the 700p's myriad problems that was probably a blessing in disguise).

My personal feeling is that Verizon may reject the 755p outright and move onwards with a full line of only BlackBerry & WM models, for any number of reasons.
    OK, my only problem with this - if it failed "yesterday" - shouldn't they have already been in boxes and awaiting shipment for Wednesday (today???) delivery?!

It seems like last week would have been the latest they could have pulled them for problems and/or had them ready for tomorrow.

Hmmmm, i have a problem with my 650 and the 700p has problems. I have no desire to move to WM, so i was investigating my BB options - and that isn't an option right now.

SOOO, i want another Palm.

UGH.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    How do they fail a device that works on the sprint network. Palm really needs to get its act together. im not even a vz customer but that sounds lame.
    Well let's see. Maybe we should ask it the other way. How did Sprint release the 700p that turned out to have so many *confirmed* bugs requiring a firmware update (that still didn't fix everything) and then released the 755 with many of those same issues (like the dial tone bug)?

Maybe that just tells you that the Verizon QA department just does a much better job of testing their devices or holds them to a higher standard than Sprint.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Verizon is the #1 carrier in terms of users. They have the luxury of performing thorough QA testing without losing ground. They know their customers aren't going to jump ship because their network is good. Sprint on the other hand cannot afford to delay new phones because they're trying to catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    Verizon is the #1 carrier in terms of users. They have the luxury of performing thorough QA testing without losing ground. They know their customers aren't going to jump ship because their network is good.
    Speak for yourself, LOL. After 7 years of being abused by Verizon customer service (or lack thereof) over and over again, I finally jumped ship last month. Sprint's finally caught up to them network wise in my area (NY) and is equal or pretty damn close most everywhere, and spending money gaining ground each day.

Now, I've also had hassles with Sprint CS the last couple weeks, but that all stems out of the initial rep who set up my account making a couple dumb mistakes that I had to jump through all sorts of hoops and spend way too much time on hold to get straightened out. All that said, in the end, Sprint's "account services" supervisor I spoke with (that being, best I can tell, the corporate euphemism for "Retentions") gave me a LOT to make up for it. There was one thing I wanted he couldn't do, but he did make good on everything he could, to the tune that I ended up with something that makes my original SERO plan look expensive!

On Verizon, the best they'd ever offer was a $100 savings that required me to sign a contract that would unnecessarily cost me anywhere from $120-400. Hmm, spend $120 to save $100, the math doesn't quite work out.

Anyway, this is drifting way OT, so I'll shuddup now!

--A
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    Verizon is the #1 carrier in terms of users. They have the luxury of performing thorough QA testing without losing ground. They know their customers aren't going to jump ship because their network is good. Sprint on the other hand cannot afford to delay new phones because they're trying to catch up.
    That must be the reason why Verizon races to release phones before Sprint and why Verizon tries to put exclusive rights on some of them.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I'm so disappointed. Verizon really doesn't have any phone that are cool, sexy, innovative...and no promise that they will. I'm seriously considering jumping ship after years with them.
    I'm frustrated that we can't even get an official, "We have plans for this phone" or "we do not".

I would be happy to wait until August or September if Verizon officially blessed the rumors that they are, indeed, bringing the 755P to their network. But they aren't even willing to confirm that. Look at other phones that are "scheduled for Verizon". There are many with dates a month out and further. Yet no official word on this particular device.

I do believe the phone didn't pass some type of testing...I'm using a Sprint 755P and the bluetooth is buggy as heck and frankly, I think if Verizon rejected it for this type of issue it is the right thing to do.

What concerns me a great deal now, though, is that Verizon will reject it entirely and "give up".

I am not willing to go to Windows device...tried for about half a day once and my work won't support syncing with it anyway. Now that I've been using a Treo I'm in love...don't know how I lived without it. So now I'm torn on whether I should just get a "discontinued" 700P and deal with it, or continue to try to wait. I get 25% off on the next phone I buy...so I have to be careful what I do here. If I buy the 700P and the 755P is released within a time that I can return the 700...I doubt they'll give me 25% off the new phone.

hkklife...I really, really hope you are wrong...but your prediction isn't so far fetched and it worries the heck outta me.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    The news is surprising to be since a technical rep told me two weeks ago that she was going in for training on the 755. Others in her group had already received training and she would be participating in one of the last training groups for her department.
    A poster on HoFo who says he works for VZW said he had not received any training as of early this week, and that they usually know 30 days out about new phones to receive said training.

He also said it was on some spec sheet. Just no release date, no official confirmation other than seeing it on the spec sheet, and no training.
    Judging by Verizon's history of phones and "testing", it could be a combination of Palm's ongoing bugs as well as Verizon crippling their phones. Their obsessive need to brand their phones can cause be a delay as well. Fortunately they're not brand happy with the Treos.
    Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Treo 700p -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Treo 800w -> Palm Centro ->Palm Pre!
    What exactly would the 755p give us over the 700p? I looked at the comparison charts before buying a 700 and came to the conclusion that the only significant difference is the slightly reduced size, which seems to have been gained primarily by using a mini-sd instead of an sd. This is pretty much why I decided not to wait for the 755. Saw no reason to do so.
    Guys I hate to break it to you, but after having verizon wireless for the last 5 years and HAPPILY switching to sprint, I can no doubt say that the delay is caused by VZW crippling functions of the phone, so they can in turn push their crappy services onto you. I went through this many different times on a bunch of phones, and it always ended up with me kicking myself for staying with them and having to pony up more money to pay for a feature that was originally included on the phone, but disabled by them. Watch, guarantee some kind of bluetooth function, transferring files etc, will be locked, as will some of the media functionality.

Sprint is awesome so far, they don't shove their stuff on you, they seem to care about you FAR MORE as a customer. The rates are SO MUCH CHEAPER! Call quality is as good as it gets, I'm very happy and my 755p is really amazing!
    I thought the 800p was due out on the Verizon network before the end of the year because Sprint nixed it in lieu of the 800w, wouldn't that make the 755p moot for Verizon?
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
  20.    #40  
    I am using my VZ treo 700p and Sprint 755p side by side. So far, driving from Pittsburgh to near Philadlephia, the Sprint signal was at least one or two bars stronger the entire length of Pennsylvania. I too am sick of VZ not having the newest phones and waiting endlessly for them. I am trying this for a week or two and probably switching to sprint. Their CS reports are the only thing that scare me, but it may be worth it for a better phone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast