Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I'm hoping someone here can send me in the right direction. Due to learning disabilities, I'm going to get my 15 year old son some form of smartphone. (he is dysgraphic) What I am looking for is something that will sync e-mail and more importantly CALENDAR automatically. (like a blackberry does). So that he can type in reminders to himself on the phone-things like turn in your history paper and it will be able to remind him to do it. And if it gets lost or stolen, the records will still be in his Outlook.

I know the 755 will do this if you have an IT department and a Microsoft Server, but does anyone know if there are any 3rd party places that offer this? ATT says they will do it for regular people for Blackberrys, but we are with Sprint and my contract is still in force. He would prefer a Palm to a Blackberry, but we need the functionality more than the phone.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimnish View Post
    I'm hoping someone here can send me in the right direction. Due to learning disabilities, I'm going to get my 15 year old son some form of smartphone. (he is dysgraphic) What I am looking for is something that will sync e-mail and more importantly CALENDAR automatically. (like a blackberry does). So that he can type in reminders to himself on the phone-things like turn in your history paper and it will be able to remind him to do it. And if it gets lost or stolen, the records will still be in his Outlook.

I know the 755 will do this if you have an IT department and a Microsoft Server, but does anyone know if there are any 3rd party places that offer this? ATT says they will do it for regular people for Blackberrys, but we are with Sprint and my contract is still in force. He would prefer a Palm to a Blackberry, but we need the functionality more than the phone.
    Thanks!
    You can use Chatter for push email if you have an IMAP provider. Not sure about the auto sync of the calendar though. I have Cradle Care which can be set up to do autosync, but I'm not sure if it requires the cradle/cable or if it can do it via Bluetooth. I think that's the best you can get with a Treo.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Not exactly a direct answer to your question.
    Check out Due Yesterday (www.nosleep.net). It is an excellent program for a Palm and a student. I think it would sync with the calendar or would export entries placed in it over to the calendar application and would then back up to Outlook (not wirelessly).
    Also the program/service clearsync (www.clearsync.com) I think is a way to back up the calendar wirelessly. There is a fee involved with this one though.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Yup, 4smartphone, clearsync, or another similar service will do what you want. A hosted Microsoft Exchange solution would provide everything you want, allowing push e-mail via VersaMail (included with the Treo) or Chatter*, and syncing contacts, calendars, to dos, etc. Another I found in a quick Google search is MailStreet, which is $12.95 a month of one account, or $9.95/ea/month for two accounts or more.

I have no experience with ANY of these services, so buyer beware.

--A

*-I know that Chatter can sync with Exchange with the Exchange plug-in, I don't know how that factors in with contact and calendar sync and playing nice with the factory-provided Exchange sync through VersaMail.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Try mail2web.com Just sign up for their free service, as thats all you need.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the answers. I will look into them as he and I both would rather have a treo than a blackberry.
    Kim
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mallow View Post
    Do you use this service? It seems they are not taking new subscribers anymore, during the transition from Exchange 2003 to 2007, which they say will be complete "soon".
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Look into www.mail2web.com They have a free service which allows directpush.