Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. Supes2000's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #1  
    ...and yes, your Treo 650...the dull apple. Maybe not as glitzy any more, but it has alot more substance. Pardon the pun...I couldn't help it.

    ...anyways.

    So after a weekend of iPhone mania, friends and co-workers standing in lines for hours on end for the bragging rights of ownership of the jewel of Mac-enthusiasts everywhere…this has given me pause...

    I have to admit that I too was almost caught in the Steve Jobs trap…BUT, I fought back and again it gave me pause; pause to consider:

    What are you REALLY investing $500 to $600 dollars in?? (Not to mention an expensive phone plan.)

    Is the Treo 650 ready for the tech graveyard that now includes my PalmV, Palm III, a few Ipaqs and too many cell phones to even count…

    As I stood in my local AT&T store fighting off the reps with a stick; I got to play with the iPhone for a about 30 minutes. This too gave me pause.

    Pause to consider the comparisons of the iPhone and my Treo 650.

    With serious thought and research and various chats with fellow Palm lovers. I have come up with this conclusion…

    THE TREO 650 IS STILL THE KING, albeit a little less glitz.

    What do I mean?!?! Why not the 680, 700, 750 or the 755? I’ll tell you why. The 650 still represents the best that Palm has had to offer a non-business mobile user ever. The models since then have simply not provided enough of a upgrade or shift to be seriously considered. Memory size is not enough of an issue for me, as I manage my memory usage carefully by using the internet whenever possible to get the same info many programs can offer without the memory drain. Furthermore, don’t believe me, take a look on any given day how many people are in the 650 forum vs. any other. Nuff said.

    So what I have done is outline the specs that everyone is drooling over, which handset has it, and which one has the advantage.

    Here’s the bottom line:

    Lets start how both the Treo and the iPhone stack up, based on iPhone current functions:

    SMS
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – even
    Calendar
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – even
    PIM/Outlook sync -
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – even
    Camera
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – iPhone (2meg camera)
    Video
    iPhone – NO Treo 650 – YES Winner – TREO
    Photos
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – even
    YouTube
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – NO Winner – iPhone
    Stocks
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – even
    Google Maps
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner - even
    Weather
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner - even
    Clock
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – even
    Calculator
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – even
    Notes
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – even
    Phone
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – even
    Email
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – even
    Web
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – TREO (better network)
    Music
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – iPhone (it was close)

    Now here’s a few basics, that are critical to mobile life:

    GPS –
    iPhone - NO Treo 650 – YES Winner – TREO
    Games
    iPhone – NO Treo 650 – YES Winner – TREO
    Touchscreen
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – even
    Customizable
    iPhone – NO Treo 650 – YES Winner – TREO
    Removable battery
    iPhone – NO Treo 650 – YES Winner – TREO
    Battery life
    iPhone – SUCKS Treo 650 – Better Winner - TREO
    SD card capable
    iPhone – NO Treo 650 – YES Winner – TREO

    And at last…

    Interface
    iPhone – YES Treo 650 – YES Winner – iPhone – its really cool!!

    WINNER TREO!!

    I did this as exercise to show myself and anyone else that is considering the switch. Your Treo is not out yet, so enjoy it.

    Enjoy!!
    Regards,

    Supes2000

    "His words burned like lamp in the darkness" -- Ecclesiasticus
  2. #2  
    Who CARES. Wrong FORUM. Blah blah blah.....
  3. Supes2000's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #3  
    We here even devoted a Forum to a NON-PALM device...on a treo site!?!?!?

    Further, this is exactly the right forum, since I am comparing a 650 device.

    Obviously you too are sick of the iPhone hype...LONG LIVE THE TREO...

    650 that is...this is the 650 forum? YES it is.

    Blah Blah blah...
    Regards,

    Supes2000

    "His words burned like lamp in the darkness" -- Ecclesiasticus
  4. #4  
    I liked the post...and I still love my 650 with all the resets.....may have to flash the rom again.
  5. #5  
    the 680 makes the 650 look like a geico caveman.. the 680 rocks (I said "650" so this must be the right forum lol)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    the 680 makes the 650 look like a geico caveman.. the 680 rocks (I said "650" so this must be the right forum lol)
    The 680 is a joke. It’s just a smaller 650 without IR, more memory and lower battery life. If anything it’s a step sideways and down since hacked 650's can also use 4 to 8GB sd cards & Opera's browser blows away Blazer.

    As for the 850p because it can only use a 4GB SD card at the moment it looses serious points. If I had to pick a king it would be the Treo 700p hacked to handle an 8GB SD card along with the stubless antenna. It wins on price, battery life & memory capacity.
  7. #7  
    Well, I read a thread on Mac RUmors - list of stuff to "fix" in the iPhone, and no way could i switch from my 650 to the iPhone. I'd shove it out the window! (without insurance - oops, that would be bad :P).

    Seriously, for the way i use my 650 - the iPhone wouldn't replace it. Not even close.
  8. Supes2000's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #8  
    I thought this was a valid comparison of the still viable function and use of the 650....
    Regards,

    Supes2000

    "His words burned like lamp in the darkness" -- Ecclesiasticus
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    The 680 is a joke. It’s just a smaller 650 without IR, more memory and lower battery life. If anything it’s a step sideways and down since hacked 650's can also use 4 to 8GB sd cards & Opera's browser blows away Blazer.

    As for the 850p because it can only use a 4GB SD card at the moment it looses serious points. If I had to pick a king it would be the Treo 700p hacked to handle an 8GB SD card along with the stubless antenna. It wins on price, battery life & memory capacity.
    Hi. I'd say you're stupid, but we're not allowed to call each other names here.

    680 has IR. It has less battery life because the battery is SMALLER. SD card is a pointless comparison. Opera..... has nothing to do with anything.....

    Can the 650 be hacked to have 32M of dbcache and hordes of heap space? Can the 650 be hacked to be as stable as the 650?

    I think not.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Hi. I'd say you're stupid, but we're not allowed to call each other names here.

    680 has IR. It has less battery life because the battery is SMALLER. SD card is a pointless comparison. Opera..... has nothing to do with anything.....

    Can the 650 be hacked to have 32M of dbcache and hordes of heap space? Can the 650 be hacked to be as stable as the 650?

    I think not.

    So I was wrong about the IR no big deal. Nobody uses it anyway.

    Less battery life is still less battery life. This is a big deal.

    Extra storage is always desirable. I got 4GBs now and need to upgrade to 8.

    Opera is faster than Blazer so it makes no difference that blazer is faster on the 680.

    And yes the 650 Can be hacked to be as stable as the 680.

    “Can the 650 be hacked to have 32M of dbcache and hordes of heap space?”
    No but as I said it can be hacked so that it does not crash all the time And since I never have less than 16MB of available ram I could care less.

    At any given moment I can buy a 680 but until I feel that its worth it I’m not buying ****.. Do me a favor and name one thing you can do on your device that I can’t on a 650? Seems to me if you upgraded from a 650 then we need to take the time to analyze who’s the stupid one is since at the end of the day my treos still going. truth is if i wanted i could also get a 755p but again i ask, name one thing you can do on a 755 that I can't do on the 650 Other than EVDO? (Which don't count to me since I’m in Europe).
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 07/02/2007 at 08:27 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    The 680 is a joke. It’s just a smaller 650 without IR, more memory and lower battery life. If anything it’s a step sideways and down since hacked 650's can also use 4 to 8GB sd cards & Opera's browser blows away Blazer.

    As for the 850p because it can only use a 4GB SD card at the moment it looses serious points. If I had to pick a king it would be the Treo 700p hacked to handle an 8GB SD card along with the stubless antenna. It wins on price, battery life & memory capacity.
    the 680 has Beam and receive man..have you ever used one?! One more pt for the 680>650 - my phone rocks!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    So I was wrong about the IR no big deal. Nobody uses it anyway.
    Umm... this company which is responsible for a Sh**load of treo sales relies completely on the IR.

    http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/sit...00592d7003RCRD
  13. #13  
    If palm was smart they would come up with extenda screen (a la tungsten T3) version of the treo with the mini keyboard. It should allow grafiti as well but the real reason is to allow for those nice wide screen video playbacks... 16:9 would be cool...

    Then they need to advertise... my co-op student didn't even know that the palms can play mp3s let alone videos... now he owns one...

    It's all about marketing... There are people who can swear that "if apple didn't invent mp3's we would still be buying CDs"... LOL...

    So now iplod users can rejoyce, there is now, unlike before, a device now exists that can play videos and be your phone and play ipunes and for the first time in the universe let you access the REAL internet... um minus the flash and java... Because we all know that palms are just organizers, it can't play videos and mp3... And blackberries can just text...

    Actually my friend who works for RIM actually showed my his blackberry pager style device playing MP3's and emulating the palm, back in 1999 ... I said, "Cool, when can the public get that?" He said NEVER.... I can understand the palm emulator (it was clumsey anyways, no touch screen...) but the MP3 player? Appearently the CEO of RIM didn't think "fun" applications were appropriate for the serious business tool...

    Well it's all marketing... good marketing can make you believe a lie without telling one...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    And yes the 650 Can be hacked to be as stable as the 680.

    “Can the 650 be hacked to have 32M of dbcache and hordes of heap space?”
    No but as I said it can be hacked so that it does not crash all the time And since I never have less than 16MB of available ram I could care less.

    At any given moment I can buy a 680 but until I feel that its worth it I’m not buying ****.. Do me a favor and name one thing you can do on your device that I can’t on a 650? Seems to me if you upgraded from a 650 then we need to take the time to analyze who’s the stupid one is since at the end of the day my treos still going. truth is if i wanted i could also get a 755p but again i ask, name one thing you can do on a 755 that I can't do on the 650 Other than EVDO? (Which don't count to me since I’m in Europe).
    Again, SD card storage and Opera are both completely pointless datapoints here.

    No, the 650 can not be 'hacked' to be as stable as the 680, that's a simple clear fact. A great deal of it is due to the dbspace and heap that the 680 has. But obviously you don't know what dbcache and heap spce are.

    What can I do on the 680 that the 650 couldn't? Same features, same OS, so basically the same. However, I have lots more ram so more programs launch faster (less on the SD card from ZLauncher), I can use heavy-dbcache programs (Accesserizor, JLP, etc) without any problems or using UDHM, and I use can use the 680 for 5+ days without a soft reset.

    The 680 is better, period... Smaller battery is the only minor negative, and unless you're a heavy data user or a heavy talker, you'll get 2+ days out of a charge.

    And yes, I owned a 650 for almost two years. My last post on this thread..
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Again, SD card storage and Opera are both completely pointless datapoints here.

    No, the 650 can not be 'hacked' to be as stable as the 680, that's a simple clear fact. A great deal of it is due to the dbspace and heap that the 680 has. But obviously you don't know what dbcache and heap spce are.

    What can I do on the 680 that the 650 couldn't? Same features, same OS, so basically the same. However, I have lots more ram so more programs launch faster (less on the SD card from ZLauncher), I can use heavy-dbcache programs (Accesserizor, JLP, etc) without any problems or using UDHM, and I use can use the 680 for 5+ days without a soft reset.

    The 680 is better, period... Smaller battery is the only minor negative, and unless you're a heavy data user or a heavy talker, you'll get 2+ days out of a charge.

    And yes, I owned a 650 for almost two years. My last post on this thread..
    I agree on all points...I use both and I still think the 680 is much better than the 650.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I agree on all points...I use both and I still think the 680 is much better than the 650.
    Do you say that in front of her???
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Again, SD card storage and Opera are both completely pointless datapoints here.

    No, the 650 can not be 'hacked' to be as stable as the 680, that's a simple clear fact. A great deal of it is due to the dbspace and heap that the 680 has. But obviously you don't know what dbcache and heap spce are.

    What can I do on the 680 that the 650 couldn't? Same features, same OS, so basically the same. However, I have lots more ram so more programs launch faster (less on the SD card from ZLauncher), I can use heavy-dbcache programs (Accesserizor, JLP, etc) without any problems or using UDHM, and I use can use the 680 for 5+ days without a soft reset.

    The 680 is better, period... Smaller battery is the only minor negative, and unless you're a heavy data user or a heavy talker, you'll get 2+ days out of a charge.

    And yes, I owned a 650 for almost two years. My last post on this thread..

    You are obviously trying to justify your 680 purchase. So ill give you my bottom lines and you 680 owners can debate them to yourself until a cow jumps over the moon.

    1. I’m not trying to throw wood on this flame

    2. I was not even comparing the SDcard in the 680 to the 650 it makes no sense.


    3. As far as you believing that the 650 can't be hacked to be extremely stable that’s just plain stupidity. Plenty here can tell you how stable their 650s are now after the last rom Update and carefully chosen software since dbcache issues were addressed by palm.

    4. You say you soft resets every 5 days. I have two Treos & have not seen idle resets in so long I can’t even tell you the last one I seen. Now I’m not going to deny the 680 has a grater potential to resist a reset than a 650 (with carefully chosen applications) but in my case & I’m sure quite a few others as well it’s a non issue.

    5. As for your smart remark about dbcache and heap sizes. what? You think they are big words or something and you are the only one who ever heard of DBcache tool? Hate to burst your bubble but it’s not especially complicated.

    6. For the record I don’t use ZLauncher. All the applications listed below are in Rom or in main memory & I have 17MB of free space With the help of Dataviz tool which I run if that amount drops below 16MB. All the other applications that I have not mentioned run from my SD card so clearly I have room for more applications.

    Say it, Splash photo, Turbo Blazer from the 700p, Docks to go, TCMP, Kinoma Player, Opera Mini, Java, Resco Explorer, Palm VNC, Card reader, Butler, Phone Technician Dio Player, Tom Tom navigator 5, Volume Care, Audio Gateway, Card keeper, Calculator, Bluetooth, Calendar, Camera, Contacts, card Info, Hotsync, Media, Messaging, Prefs, SIM Service, World Clock, Voice Memo, SIM Book, Sounds, Security, Always on & scroll bar 5.

    Now I’m not necessarily saying a 680 is a bad purchase compared to the 650. its got some good things going for it especially for first time Treo buyers and its a decent upgrade for Europeans if they don't mind the shorter battery life but if you were coming from a 650 in the US I think it would have to be considered a rather rambunctious and a somewhat backward purchase since the 700p had EVDO, decent memory & a longer battery life. But it looked good right?

    Now would somebody else pleas explain to this man why I keep bringing up Opera vs Blazer cause I’M done with it.
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 07/03/2007 at 05:12 PM.
  18. Supes2000's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by evilshin View Post
    If palm was smart they would come up with extenda screen (a la tungsten T3) version of the treo with the mini keyboard. It should allow grafiti as well but the real reason is to allow for those nice wide screen video playbacks... 16:9 would be cool...

    Then they need to advertise... my co-op student didn't even know that the palms can play mp3s let alone videos... now he owns one...

    It's all about marketing... There are people who can swear that "if apple didn't invent mp3's we would still be buying CDs"... LOL...

    So now iplod users can rejoyce, there is now, unlike before, a device now exists that can play videos and be your phone and play ipunes and for the first time in the universe let you access the REAL internet... um minus the flash and java... Because we all know that palms are just organizers, it can't play videos and mp3... And blackberries can just text...

    Actually my friend who works for RIM actually showed my his blackberry pager style device playing MP3's and emulating the palm, back in 1999 ... I said, "Cool, when can the public get that?" He said NEVER.... I can understand the palm emulator (it was clumsey anyways, no touch screen...) but the MP3 player? Appearently the CEO of RIM didn't think "fun" applications were appropriate for the serious business tool...

    Well it's all marketing... good marketing can make you believe a lie without telling one...
    Here here!! You're so right, Palm MUST advertise to win marketshare and KEEP marketshare! As I stated in the begining; the comparisons of the iPhone and the Treo speak for themselves. What apple has done here that they did with the iPod is the same -- MARKET, MARKET, MARKET!

    The iPod is a mediocre music player. What makes it great is 3 things:
    1. the click wheel
    2. iTunes
    3. Its ease of use via apple and marketing!!!

    What I find odd is that Palm is not that far off the mark. I hope they get the message. All the Treo line needs is a 10% improvement in both design and software interface and it will compete with iPhone and all others.

    Oh and of course...tell people..
    Regards,

    Supes2000

    "His words burned like lamp in the darkness" -- Ecclesiasticus
  19. #19  
    Supes you missed some other features and comparisons

    Ability to take phone onto another gsm carrier by just changing sim card
    iphone NO Treo Yes Treo

    Ability to get unlimited internet service for 19.99 per month
    iphone NO Treo Yes

    Free Live Google Maps
    iphone yes Treo yes even

    Google maps to find business and touch dial phone
    iphone yes Treo yes even

    Google maps traffic reports highlight in color live
    iphone yes Treo yes Even

    Kinoma 19.99 software

    Correction
    ability to play you tube
    iphone yes treo yes even (and yes i played the skate boarding dog and then turned screen sideways!)

    w/ Software (Kinoma 4) to play local radio
    iphone no Treo Yes Treo

    Ability to turn screen sideways
    iphone yes Treo Yes Even

    Ability to get sofware from anyone other than manufacturer
    iphone no Treo yes Treo

    Multi provider chat aim/yahoo/msn/icq (verichat)
    iphone unknown Treo Yes Treo


    Cmon guys... let face it, the iphone is first.. first smartphone to be marketed for its features.. but not the first, nor the best...

    I am sure others have features that can do more
  20. #20  
    Oh and I forgot

    pda net
    use phone as modem for laptop
    iphone NO Treo yes TREO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions