1.    #1  
    Okay, I have a Bell mobility 650 and I want to use it on telus. I have an esn of a telus phone that is now toast but it was never traded in... So if I can switch the ESN and get it working with telus roms, that would be great...

Here's the problem I've been having... and the internet is a great place to have this issue:

I have read much in terms of post on how to do it... but the one involving sacrificing a cable is not what I want to do... There's a post that says the ESN of the phone is in the NVRAM and and if I download the NVRAM and edit it using a hex editor, I can then use mtty 1.42 to erase the NVRAM and then I can use cdmaupdater to restore the NVRAM..

Here are my two problems: 1) I found a copy of romtool for the treo 650 and it DID let me back up both ram and rom, but not the NVRAM (the button was grayed out).

2) I found of copy of cdmaupdater and it did not have any option to choose what to flash to the nvram (resumably) AND it just started going without further notice with a WARNING not to turn off my palm until it was done... when it was done, my treo now reboots when ever the radio is turned on. It reports the following error when you ##377:

A crash occured on.... while running "<unknown application>":

HTCStateTelephonyHandler.cpp, Line:373, HCI interface versions do NOT match - 22 instead of 23

So where do I go from here... can I find the RIGHT CDMAUpdater and fix this, or better yet fix the ESN too at the same time????

How do I get rom tool to let me download the nvram???

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...
    There is probably such potential for abuse to this idea, the I'd suspect the phone manufacturers and carriers have made that near impossible. Think of this scenario:

I've reported my ex*****ive phone as stolen, but really kept it. My wife has a cheap phone. I'd like her to use her old (cheap) ESN on the stolen phone because I'm too cheap to buy her an expensive one. I'm also dishonest, a theif, and general scum of the earth. (Folks: Do not try this at home. I wouldn't either!)

While the above (hypothetical) situation is not what you are asking about, any solution that would be posted could be misused in the above way. My point is that the design of the phone and provisioning software probably prevents this. Think of the ESN as:
    1) A serial number identifying the phone.
    2) A key into the model of the phone (for
    provisioning and updating purposes).
    3) A way of disabling phones when the bill is
    not paid.

Based on the above, I'd say the answer to your question is either impossible or would at least consume more of your resources trying to figure out than a new phone would cost.

sorry to be the bearer of such bad news for you,
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    There is probably such potential for abuse to this idea, the I'd suspect the phone manufacturers and carriers have made that near impossible. Think of this scenario:

I've reported my ex*****ive phone as stolen, but really kept it. My wife has a cheap phone. I'd like her to use her old (cheap) ESN on the stolen phone because I'm too cheap to buy her an expensive one. I'm also dishonest, a theif, and general scum of the earth. (Folks: Do not try this at home. I wouldn't either!)

While the above (hypothetical) situation is not what you are asking about, any solution that would be posted could be misused in the above way. My point is that the design of the phone and provisioning software probably prevents this. Think of the ESN as:
    1) A serial number identifying the phone.
    2) A key into the model of the phone (for
    provisioning and updating purposes).
    3) A way of disabling phones when the bill is
    not paid.

Based on the above, I'd say the answer to your question is either impossible or would at least consume more of your resources trying to figure out than a new phone would cost.

sorry to be the bearer of such bad news for you,
    --
    Bob
    I would like to strongly disagree with you over this matter. While I am trying to get some technical answers, since it IS possible, and I have run into some difficulties that are cannot be explained as the forces of good are trying to stop the forces of evil, I would like to say that changing the ESN is no more a potential to abuse than having a sim card in a phone...

As matter of fact, I would say that changing an ESN is probably easy stuff for criminals. My parents have GSM phones, so they can easily swap handsets depending on who's is charged up. Would you call that abuse?

The only reason why companies that want you to use their phone with them only is because they are greedy. They used to let you change handsets at will, not they charge $30 per pop. They can then monitor which phone you have and try to entice you into another crappy 3 year contract so you can save $300 off a $300 handset they priced at $600...

As matter of fact in Canada the CRTC makes it illegal to sell a phone, if you are not selling a service. Meaning as an equipment retailer, I can't sell blackberries and treos, even though they are available to me through wholesalers.

All of this is not to stop abuse, they can hardly care less if a phone is stolen. I have had CDMA phones that were reported missing possibly stolen, later found and activated on a different name.

Anyways I respectfully disagree with your answer. I am looking for two technical answers.

A) Why is ROMtool not letting me back up the NVRAM. It has the button but it's greyed out.

B) Is there a way to undo my misguided attempt to update the firmware which might have cause the corruption in the NVRAM or ROM causing the following error: A crash occured on.... while running "<unknown application>":

HTCStateTelephonyHandler.cpp, Line:373, HCI interface versions do NOT match - 22 instead of 23

If someone with a technical know how can please explain. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.