View Poll Results: Are you pro-iPhone?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm getting one/already have one

19 13.97%
  • No, Treos rock

76 55.88%
  • If I hear about iPhone again I'm going to puke.

41 30.15%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Feather View Post
    I am not going to get into comparing travel schedules, but I will say it's clear that you haven't used the iPhone. I say that because the problems you're citing (keyboard, EDGE) really aren't big problems once you use the phone and the Treo problem you mentioned (web browser) really is a big problem compared to the iPhone.
    Having been an EDGE user for years, and now moved to Sprint and EV-DO, I have no desire to go back. I have tried Opera on the Treo and was underwhelmed, and so, sadly, I have to stick with Blazer I guess. Yes, Palm needs a modern browser. It is a significant drawback.

I didn't mean to get into chest thumping about travel schedules, just trying to point out that I'm a frequent flyer. I find the Treo + pTunes + Sennheiser to be good for my air travel music needs.

You make a good point with the iPhone's email capabilities. Lacking BCC, Reply-To, EAS, attachments and any ability to load a 3rd party client stinks. All of these are minor problems for me (I forward emails to a Yahoo account that pushes them to the iPhone) and some or all of them may end up getting solved with software updates.
    I need to directly do EAS for a variety of reasons. One of those is that I am the guy that set the policy in the company that says you can't forward emails to third party accounts (e-discovery, confidentiality issues) and so I would be breaking the policy I'm supposed to enforce.

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for in a phone. If you are all about productivity and the interface is less important, then the Treo is great.
    I would say the opposite, though. If I want a pretty face, iPod and a great browser (I love Safari and use it on my Windows laptop and my iMac), I'd go with the iPhone. If I want an interface intended to be easy to use and productive, but lacking elegance, I'll go with PalmOS. If I want an interface that is neither elegant nor productive, I'll go with WM

At this point I think the iPhone is a great consumer device but not yet ready for the serious business traveler.
    I have an iPhone and a Treo 755. I have owned every Treo since the 280, and have always been a loyal supporter. I've also owned every Mac and Newton since the fat Mac, and have been a loyal supporter.

To me, these are two different animals that each have a place in my life. I found that I do four basic things with my cell phone...

1. Phone
    2. Email
    3. IM
    4. Watch videos/listen to music

I also play games, browse the web, and read Word documents... But those four things are my basic usage patterns.

As a phone, both work equally well for me. Sliding the arrow on the iPhone and hitting the green call button on the Treo - all the same to me. I have no problem flicking to look up contacts on the iPhone or inputting text for a search on the Treo.

For email, I'll give a slight nod to the Treo because it works with MS Exchange, and EVDO is superior to EDGE. However, I have 5 different accounts and using MS Exchange means I have to reply from one address. The iPhone's mail program will only poll every 15 minutes - yet will reply from the correct account. Right now the real-time email on the MS Exchange wins out...but I read that Apple will be releasing an MS Exchange update in due time. For now I can choose which I want to use.

IM? Treo. The iPhone threads its SMS like iChat, but there's no IM yet. However, I'd hope that an iChat version for the iPhone is forthcoming...

Video and Music? The iPhone is awesome. Flat out awesome - particularly since I'm an iTunes devotee.

I'd like to see the next move in the Treo platform, and I still like and use my Treo. But I bet Apple will aggressively develop the iPhone and like their chances to address the concerns I stated above. I'm a little surprised was no "Pocket Word/Excel" type of solution on the iPhone at launch - but again, I suspect that someone will develop something in short order.

When there's a jump in technology everyone will win - I look forward to Palm's response.

Cheers!
    LZ
    Last edited by LZMutant; 07/09/2007 at 03:05 AM.
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Today I am leaning heavily toward returning my iPhone and then signing up for Sprint SERO with a 755p. I am a convert (PC to Mac), but I think the iPhone needs to grow up a bit more before I consider buying it again.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    network speed
    3rd party apps
    network speed
    tactile keyboard
    cost of phone
    network speed
    cost of plan
    network speed

the one thing the iPhone had going for it was sex appeal
    You make a valid point. I'm really tired of constantly rubbing off fingerprints on the touchscreen. I hide my iPhone in my desk at work; I don't want co-workers coming up and asking, "Ooooo, let me see!" I also don't take it out while riding the subway. But the interface on the iPhone is very cool, and it's a beautiful piece of hardware. I do miss all the great apps of the Treo.
    What? No Word/Excel apps? Hmm, that's not acceptable for me. Guess I'll keep my Treo 755p! The iPhone is very sleek and sexy though, and I can see the attraction. But I highly doubt I will ever get one. I'm also not going to switch to AT&T anytime soon.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    finally went in to see the iphone today. left feeling very disappointed. the thing that is most fascinating about it is also the thing that annoyed me the most--the touch screen. us treo users are very spoiled with our great tactile keyboards. I tried typing one simple sentence on the iphone for what seemed like 5 minutes. I just could not get it down, I kept pushing the wrong keys. it's probably also because my thumbnails kept getting in the way, so ladies do take note. if you have long-ish nails, you might as well cut them or render your iphone useless. nail taps (instead of finger taps) do not register on the screen. ugh. *hugs treo*
    Hey Michelle,

I ran up to the mall myself thinking I was going to buy an iphone actually 2 one for me and one for my son...When I approached the display I grasp at the beauty of the phone (If you know me from Sprint users you know I am serious phone edit *gardentool*) Anyway I fonded the phone for 5 minutes and then tried to press one of the icons and nothing happens..I try again and again no response. Turns out my nails are too long att rep says from behindc the counter then spits out all the features and if I cut my nails it is the perfect phone for me...I immediately put the iphone down, thank the rep and walk out the store and across the mall to macys to buy some coach sneakers to match my new purse and have the balance left over...PRICELESS!! One hour later my Treo and I have to make up for my cheating moment of passion with another phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsRandall View Post
    Anyway I fonded the phone for 5 minutes and then tried to press one of the icons and nothing happens..I try again and again no response. Turns out my nails are too long att rep says from behindc the counter then spits out all the features and if I cut my nails it is the perfect phone for me
    Heh, that's going to be a problem. What's Apple's solution? Cut your nails short or buy a different phone? Nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsRandall View Post
    Hey Michelle,

I ran up to the mall myself thinking I was going to buy an iphone actually 2 one for me and one for my son...When I approached the display I grasp at the beauty of the phone (If you know me from Sprint users you know I am serious phone edit *gardentool*) Anyway I fonded the phone for 5 minutes and then tried to press one of the icons and nothing happens..I try again and again no response. Turns out my nails are too long att rep says from behindc the counter then spits out all the features and if I cut my nails it is the perfect phone for me...I immediately put the iphone down, thank the rep and walk out the store and across the mall to macys to buy some coach sneakers to match my new purse and have the balance left over...PRICELESS!! One hour later my Treo and I have to make up for my cheating moment of passion with another phone.
    3rd time I've heard that nail problem..it looks like the iPhone is a wee bit too anti-stylus! will be interesting to know how many ladies with nails do have problems with it.
  9.    #49  
    ah msrandall good to see you
    yes, doesn't it suck that the iphone is so anti stylus indeed. grr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathearder View Post
    I love my Treo755P- it rocks. Add in the Sero plan and it is a no brainer. Not gonna switch. There is no reason too cause my Treo does so much more, and with no battery switch available 8 hours would not do it for me.
    The SERO is the big deciding factor. The iPhone plans are 2x as much and don't include all the offerings that Sprint does. No-brainer for sure.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    So I toyed around with a friend's iPhone for a bit, and there's no doubt that it sure is pretty, but there's no way I'm giving up my 755P's functionalities, including:

-Chatteremail with MS Exchange sync and 5 personal email accounts
    -To-dos and Memos
    -EVDO
    -3rd party apps
    -GPS Navigation with TomTom
    -Documents to Go
    -IM
    -Laptop tethering using PdaNet
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    the problems with iPhone are
    1. too expensive
    2. too limited capability.
    I've got a Treo 750 and an iPhone. The iPhone is not a Treo replacement,...yet. But the iPhone does redefine the future of handheld user interfaces in a big big way. Plus my pulse quickens and I can't help smiling when I use the iPhone, while the Treo is strictly business. But I don't think you can compare the devices head to head as they are filling different niche's for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctakim View Post
    I've got a Treo 750 and an iPhone. The iPhone is not a Treo replacement,...yet. But the iPhone does redefine the future of handheld user interfaces in a big big way. Plus my pulse quickens and I can't help smiling when I use the iPhone, while the Treo is strictly business. But I don't think you can compare the devices head to head as they are filling different niche's for now.
    Oh, I absolutely think the iPhone is going to change smartphones. We are going to see an emphasis on the OS, the browser and the multimedia capabilities that hasn't been there before. The iPhone is absolutely a consumer smartphone, not for business users. Yet. Only a few things, really, are needed, to fix that.

• Exchange ActiveSync
    • Resolve the problem that nails cause
    • Edit Word/Excel docs
    • Mail attachments
    • Some provision for 3rd party apps other than the browser

Now that Apple has pretty solidly established that they can make a smartphone that is both functional and people want, they just need to let it grow up.

I'm sure HTC, HP, Palm, etc. are figuring out (or will be soon) how to bring the same things to the table. If they aren't, Apple is going to wipe the floor with them.
    Palm IIIxe --> Tungsten C --> Treo 650 GSM --> Treo 755p EV-DO
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    i have two co-workers that just got the iphone. i have a 755p. they JUST found out that they cannot get picture mail. one of the other guys who works with us comes into the office and says "hey i got this awsome picture i need to send you". very straight and serious. one of my iphone friends says "we can't get that" and the guy laughs "i know" - then he says "and my phone was FREE"

i almost died laughing... i regained some composure and said - but it sure is a "pretty" phone.
    I have had the iPhone since day 1. Am still in "honeymoon" with the whole coolness, but i get the feeling this will soon wear off revealing the true lack of functionality for key applications. However, you never know, there are a ton of updates scheduled for the iPhone. Anyway, I did a side by side comparison of apps that might be interesting to look at
    http://www.tunjiafonja.com/tunjis_we...o-vs-my-i.html
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212 View Post
    I have had the iPhone since day 1. Am still in "honeymoon" with the whole coolness, but i get the feeling this will soon wear off revealing the true lack of functionality for key applications. However, you never know, there are a ton of updates scheduled for the iPhone. Anyway, I did a side by side comparison of apps that might be interesting to look at
    http://www.tunjiafonja.com/tunjis_we...o-vs-my-i.html
    Nice. Thx.

Surur
    No way...battery is not user replaceable, need two hands to use the virtual keyboard.

Cingular/ATT service sucks in my area. Love AT&T's commercials though..."Least number of dropped calls for any carrier". What they don't tell you, is that in order to drop a call, you first have to be able to MAKE a call.
    iPhone on AT&T, Waiting for the Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ecowper View Post
    Only a few things, really, are needed, to fix that.

<snip>
    [*]Resolve the problem that nails cause
    Can't be done. It's inherent in the design of the screen. It relys on the capacitance of skin to work. No skin, no response. It won't work with fingernails, stylii, gloves, the tip of a pen. Nothing but fingers or toes (or your nose, I suppose).
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeman View Post

Cingular/ATT service sucks in my area.
    I second that. I can't even use the damn phone in my house
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast