View Poll Results: Are you pro-iPhone?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm getting one/already have one

19 13.97%
  • No, Treos rock

76 55.88%
  • If I hear about iPhone again I'm going to puke.

41 30.15%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My job provides me with an ATT account, so I upgraded my work phone to an iphone. There are many positives to this new device but compared to my 755 here are a list of the shortcomings I have found

1) edge network is slow
    2) no real gps , cannot merge google maps with bluetooth gps receivers
    3) camera cannot do video
    4) no bluetooth file transfers
    5) cannot SMS pictures
    6) no mpeg or flash support in safari
    7) cannot save images to photo albums from email, or web
    8) cannot use your mp3's as ringtones
    9) any 3rd party software has to be run through safari
    10) email, and text alerts cannot be assigned, and are too low of volume
    11) no copy and paste
    12) no expansion slots for memory cards
    13) no AIM, or instant messaging of any kind
  2.    #22  
    ^ sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    ^ sigh.
    sorry off topic but the case in you profile picture i like and would like to get one when did you get it from if you dont mind tell me please
    and thank you
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
  4.    #24  
    finally went in to see the iphone today. left feeling very disappointed. the thing that is most fascinating about it is also the thing that annoyed me the most--the touch screen. us treo users are very spoiled with our great tactile keyboards. I tried typing one simple sentence on the iphone for what seemed like 5 minutes. I just could not get it down, I kept pushing the wrong keys. it's probably also because my thumbnails kept getting in the way, so ladies do take note. if you have long-ish nails, you might as well cut them or render your iphone useless. nail taps (instead of finger taps) do not register on the screen. ugh. *hugs treo*
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
    It's a $20 add on to my voice plan. The Treo data plans are $39.99 added on to your voice plan at AT&T. Sprint by far has the best data plans for the Treo.
    You can change your data plan to a lesser plan if you have a non-Treo device to apply it to. I changed mine to the $24.99 MediaMax 200 bundle with unlimited M2M messaging. It would've been $19.99 without the unlimited messaging...

Quote Originally Posted by comedytreogirl View Post
    sorry off topic but the case in you profile picture i like and would like to get one when did you get it from if you dont mind tell me please
    and thank you
    Try searching for Louis Vuitton phone or PDA cases...

Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    finally went in to see the iphone today. left feeling very disappointed. the thing that is most fascinating about it is also the thing that annoyed me the most--the touch screen. us treo users are very spoiled with our great tactile keyboards. I tried typing one simple sentence on the iphone for what seemed like 5 minutes. I just could not get it down, I kept pushing the wrong keys. it's probably also because my thumbnails kept getting in the way, so ladies do take note. if you have long-ish nails, you might as well cut them or render your iphone useless. nail taps (instead of finger taps) do not register on the screen. ugh. *hugs treo*
    It's very pretty, but I don't even like using the onscreen keyboard on the Treo. I guess the "long-ish" nail thing eliminates me...
    My new Sprint contract with the 755p was at it's 30th day yesterday. I decided to keep the 755p as well as keep my iPhone. My iPhone service was only a $20 data add on to my existing AT&T family plan ($7.50 per month for the voice line). My Sprint SERO plan is $30 amonth. In all, I'm still pay less per month for 2 phones and 2 lines than most people pay for one phone/one line.
    I bought an iPhone and after comparing it with my 755p I decided to go with the iPhone.

I miss a lot of things about my Treo, though:

-Chatteremail is tons better than the iPhone's email client. No BCC, no Reply-to and no IMAP IDLE on the iPhone.

-EV-DO is faster than EDGE.

-Some 3rd party apps were great. SplashID and Salling Clicker are the two I really wish I still had.

-Holding the Home button to link to your last 6 apps was great. It takes too many taps sometimes on the iPhone.

-Believe it or not the Treo's camera is better. No zoom and no mirror on the iPhone. Plus, it is very sensitive to motion, so I end up with too many blurry pictures.

-The keyboard.

-Ignore with text. How does a smartphone not have this?

-No tasks or To-Do list on the iPhone.

-The iPhone calculator does not support scientific functions.

-No games (especially Sudoku).
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Mister Feather, now tell us why exactly did you keep your iPhone?
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    if the iphone could run Palm OS, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

There's just too many programs that I've gotten used to and depend on, on my 755p
    I have a 755p in blue. I just love my Treo, no iPhone for me!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Mister Feather, now tell us why exactly did you keep your iPhone?
    it looks cool.. lol
    HTC Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i'm a geek that has been worshipping apple since 1986. last week, i went to the apple store to check out the iPhone. played with it for a few minutes, then immediately went to the sprint store & bought me a new 755p. i'm very happy with my decision to upgrade from my 650.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    i'm a geek that has been worshipping apple since 1986. last week, i went to the apple store to check out the iPhone. played with it for a few minutes, then immediately went to the sprint store & bought me a new 755p. i'm very happy with my decision to upgrade from my 650.
    So, what convinced an Apple geek to get a Treo 755p instead of an iPhone?
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ecowper View Post
    So, what convinced an Apple geek to get a Treo 755p instead of an iPhone?
    network speed
    3rd party apps
    network speed
    tactile keyboard
    cost of phone
    network speed
    cost of plan
    network speed

the one thing the iPhone had going for it was sex appeal
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    the one thing the iPhone had going for it was sex appeal
    Not to mention a cruddy email implementation (no EAS, no attachments? please!). Other than that, your list looks like mine, and I'm a huge Apple fan too. I think that, eventually, iPhone will be a very good smartphone, but right now it's not.
    I travel alot for my job and having full Internet access along with and iPod phone is just too good to pass up. I'd gotten sick of having to carry a separate iPod with my Treo and having to deal with Blazer or Opera for web browsing. Plus, the navigation and interface really are state-of-the-art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Feather View Post
    I travel alot for my job and having full Internet access along with and iPod phone is just too good to pass up. I'd gotten sick of having to carry a separate iPod with my Treo and having to deal with Blazer or Opera for web browsing. Plus, the navigation and interface really are state-of-the-art.
    I travel an average of 80K air miles a year for work. While an iPod would be nice, the Treo with pTunes is quite sufficient for my airplane music needs, especially combined with my Sennheiser noise canceling headphones. Blazer ain't great, but iPhone just has too many drawbacks. The deal killer on iPhone is the lack of EAS .......... can't believe Apple did that, that was really dumb if you want business users to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecowper View Post
    I travel an average of 80K air miles a year for work. While an iPod would be nice, the Treo with pTunes is quite sufficient for my airplane music needs, especially combined with my Sennheiser noise canceling headphones. Blazer ain't great, but iPhone just has too many drawbacks. The deal killer on iPhone is the lack of EAS .......... can't believe Apple did that, that was really dumb if you want business users to buy it.
    the EAS will be available soon enough via updates no doubt as long as MSFT license them...
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    the EAS will be available soon enough via updates no doubt as long as MSFT license them...
    But it isn't now. Add to that the EDGE network (instead of HSDPA), lack of email attachments, lack of third party software except via a web browser, lack of a hardware keyboard and it just isn't very usable for a Treo power user, in my humble opinion.
    ecowper,

I am not going to get into comparing travel schedules, but I will say it's clear that you haven't used the iPhone. I say that because the problems you're citing (keyboard, EDGE) really aren't big problems once you use the phone and the Treo problem you mentioned (web browser) really is a big problem compared to the iPhone.

You make a good point with the iPhone's email capabilities. Lacking BCC, Reply-To, EAS, attachments and any ability to load a 3rd party client stinks. All of these are minor problems for me (I forward emails to a Yahoo account that pushes them to the iPhone) and some or all of them may end up getting solved with software updates.

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for in a phone. If you are all about productivity and the interface is less important, then the Treo is great.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast