Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I remember reading a post awhile back where someone said if you want your Treo to run smoother and quicker, do a hard reset and don't access Versamail.

Is this still something we should do? I installed the MR and I'm using FlushOff (pretty neat little thing, by the way) and it seems to be fairly quick. I would, however, like the ability to send an email if I'm on the go. Now, this isn't something that's necessary and I don't want to spend too much money (over $5 ), but I'd hate to set up my email with Versamail and it mess up my phone.

Also, I have a feeling a new device will be coming out soon that I'd be interested in, and I don't want to spend the money on Chatter (loved it, by the way) just to possibly have it included in the next major release of the Treo.
    Versamail never messed my phone up. Chat users like to denigrate VM, to justify it's use.
    Matty
    Apparently on older Treos Versamail was problematic. I've used it for ten months. It did not cause lags, works just fine, and in fact I've had a lot more problems with Chatter.
    There are still problems with VersaMail even on the 700p. Random truncation of messages (thread) and once in awhile losing POP3 sync (requiring recreating the entire account).

I still use VM since the majority of my email is work related via GoodLink. For what I need, I can live with the limitations although it's just one more thing that Palm can't seem to get perfected.

There have been enough testing/posts saying that "using VM even once after a hard reset causes lags" that I'm inclined to believe it. I was going to test it myself with the MR 1.10 install but that release introduced new bugs so I'm going to pass.

If it bothered me more, I'd spend the money and switch to SnapperMail and leave VM in the dust. However, I'm beginning to think the 700p will be my last POS device, so I'm not inclined to invest more in it.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    The only flaw with VM, is not being able to see html content in messages. Chatter will show it, VM only gives you a link to it.
    Matty
    VM does not cause lag on my device, pre or post MR. There was one part that did, and that was the stupid email icon on the phone screen, pre MR. But the MR removed it, and all is right in the world.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    The only flaw with VM, is not being able to see html content in messages. Chatter will show it, VM only gives you a link to it.
    True. In the case of gifs, it doesn't show them at all (red x instead)
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    VM does not cause lag on my device, pre or post MR. There was one part that did, and that was the stupid email icon on the phone screen, pre MR. But the MR removed it, and all is right in the world.
    You didn't get plagued by the touch tone problem or did you work around it?
    The touch tone has to do with the MR, not Versamail.
    Matty
    I did do the workaround to stop the escalating ring tones. The touchtone beep to me is funny. And has no effect on my Treo life. But this thread is about Versamail, not issues with the MR.
    Matty
    Sorry for the diversion, but the VM lag needs the MR fix, hence the question.
    Oh, I got ya. Wonder when we will get a patch to fix it, or does Palm think of this as a wonderful feature? I've heard it shows up on the 755p as well. So I wonder if this was done on purpose.
    Matty
    I can't imagine why they'd do it on purpose since some people have posted the inadvertant tone caused one of their voice mails to get deleted when listening to them.

Hate to say it, but somehow I don't think they're going to fix it. It almost seems like all the dev is going into the Folio and we can only hope, a new Treo (800w) or hopefully 800p with ALP.
    Can someone kindly please explain or refer me to, "MR and FlushOff". I am one who consistently have "slow down" issues with my Versamail on my 680 and previously on my 650.
    ~* Peace
    MR == Maintenance Release or specifically the 1.10 ROM Palm released this month for the 700p on Sprint. N/A for the 680.

OffFlush == an app which flushes the dbCache at power/screen off. Mostly useful for the 600 and 650 since the total memory (and therefore dbCache) size was much smaller than on the 700/750/755/680 models. Can't tell yet whether it helps those models, but after 24 hours of playing, I don't think it will help speed up by 700p. For more info on dbCache, see this T|C wiki article.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for all the help folks. I think I'm going to start using VM again. I guess if it really slows things down, I can always do a hard reset and reinstall everything. It's not really something that I NEED, just something I want in case I'm ever out somewhere and want to send a quick email.

I don't remember it slowing things down with my 650, but I want to keep this thing running as nice as possible, until the next great version is out.
    Thank you all for your input. The Versamail is consistently SLOW. The only remedy is to delete the entire mail account. This is short lived though. Besides, surely Palm does not expect me or us to delete the account every few days. Ridiculous. I honestly hope they can fix this or alternitevely provide us with their new Chatter which may improve this SLOW down and what I consider VM to be a very weak program.
    ~* Peace
  18.    #18  
    Ahh, now it takes about 3 or 4 seconds after pressing the phone button for it to come up. I didn't think of checking this before using VM, but I don't think it took this long in the past. I wonder if this has to do with VM or just that I had been demoing a lot of software lately (ZLauncher, Skinner, Facer, stuff like that).
    I actually have only 2 third parties. PTunes and Butler. I have had hours and hours and hours of phone calls and support E Mails. Palm BLAMES the third parties and the third parties BLAME palm (versamail). What a joke it's been.
    ~* Peace
    Sorry....I have over 30 apps on my phone (although I don't have Butler), I have no lag on opening the phone page, I have prompt immediate opening of my three mail accounts in VM, and it doesn't (and hasn't) slowed my Treo down ever. I have not done the MR because I haven't needed to. The one time I had problems with VM was when it began slowing down and crashing due to a Fontsmoother font I was using. If you are using FS with VM you might want to try unchecking the app and see if that makes a difference....but VM has worked fine for me for months. As I said, I have had a lot more problems with Chatter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast