1.    #1  
    I've attempted to use GlooNet (unsuccessful, never found my songs or played them right), I used a few other ones that were webbased too, and just weren't fast enough, or laggy, or disconnected alot when using my upgrade Ptunes to stream them.

Anyone have a sure fire shot that will work? I just started using Salling Software for BT support at home as a Winamp remote control, and its awesome, but if there was a OTA internet app that would allow me to access my entire (15k+ song) library of mp3s all properly tagged on the go using my phone internet, I'd be set. Thanks!!
    I use orb. However, I use a windows based treo. the web interface is really fast especially when you turn off imgaes. I have about 300gb in movies and music and can access anything I want in a matter of seconds
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik View Post
    I use orb. However, I use a windows based treo. the web interface is really fast especially when you turn off imgaes. I have about 300gb in movies and music and can access anything I want in a matter of seconds

Thanks for the reply, makrotonik. I keep hearing good things about orb. Yes, I am using the 700P version, so maybe thats why I'm having problems with this streaming thing from home. Winamp Remote, which is Orb-based, has almost been working, but its sending my music to Kinoma which I don't know how thats installed on my Treo, buts its being used. It takes atleast 40 seconds before I get something playing that I want. This is ridiculous and almost not the worth the inconvenience in time.

No way I gotta switch to Windows Mobile version to do what I want to do here. Ughhh.
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaphoneman View Post
    Winamp Remote, which is Orb-based, has almost been working, but its sending my music to Kinoma which I don't know how thats installed on my Treo, buts its being used.
    Kinoma Media Embedded, a "lite" edition of Kinoma Player, comes in ROM on the 700p, 680 and 755p. (Tip: If you do a soft reset, the first launch of Kinoma Media Embedded will briefly show a dialog box that allows you to get a special upgrade deal to the full Kinoma Player 4 EX.)

It takes at least 40 seconds before I get something playing that I want. This is ridiculous and almost not the worth the inconvenience in time. No way I gotta switch to Windows Mobile version to do what I want to do here.
    A switch to Windows Mobile probably wouldn't fix the issues that are causing your latency, since the player is just one piece of the puzzle.

When streaming, there's some built-in latency that you can't do much about. The encoder has a buffer, the server has its own buffer, the client has a buffer for error correction and receiving out-of-order packets, etc.

Here's a good test of what's possible: Go to http://m.youtube.com/ and pick a video. It should launch Kinoma Media Embedded (in your case). Once the player has loaded, how many seconds does it take to see video?

-- Charles Wiltgen

http://feeds.feedburner.com/kinoma.1.gif
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Kinoma Media Embedded, a "lite" edition of Kinoma Player, comes in ROM on the 700p, 680 and 755p. (Tip: If you do a soft reset, the first launch of Kinoma Media Embedded will briefly show a dialog box that allows you to get a special upgrade deal to the full Kinoma Player 4 EX.)

A switch to Windows Mobile probably wouldn't fix the issues that are causing your latency, since the player is just one piece of the puzzle.

When streaming, there's some built-in latency that you can't do much about. The encoder has a buffer, the server has its own buffer, the client has a buffer for error correction and receiving out-of-order packets, etc.

Here's a good test of what's possible: Go to http://m.youtube.com/ and pick a video. It should launch Kinoma Media Embedded (in your case). Once the player has loaded, how many seconds does it take to see video?

-- Charles Wiltgen

Thats awesome!! I never tried playing videos on here because I thought I needed the full version of Kinoma. For the record, it probably takes 6 seconds or so after I click play video on the website before it starts to buffer up, and buffering takes like 4 seconds. Still pretty good, mobile video, wow man. If only there was a background play and turn off screen thing, like Ptunes, wowww.
  6.    #6  
    Oh yeah , also I did the soft reset and there was no notification for buying an upgrade of Kinoma. Would it be less than the current 25 bucks if I did this on my 700P? I might be interested!
    I'm a huge fan of Slimserver. I have about a 20GB library of mp3s, mostly all VBR, and Slimserver does a great job of serving up my tunes.

My $.02

-TR1
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TriangleRocks View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Slimserver. I have about a 20GB library of mp3s, mostly all VBR, and Slimserver does a great job of serving up my tunes.

My $.02

-TR1
    Aright man, thanks for a new suggestion. I got it installed now and am letting it scan all 80 GB of mp3. Taking forever, but I'll let you know how it goes down when its done.
  9.    #9  
    Hey and what player are you using to run squeezebox from the Treo? I can't get any to work.
  10.    #10  
    Well after tinkering for a while I finally got it to play thru the Treo, but without having to see a few weird IP addresses I didnt know about, must be internal Treo IPs? I DLed the free player that allows it to work on a PC, and that is cool, but didn't help for playing it OTA for the Treo.

So then I sorta stumbled upon it, that maybe I need to have not only the SlimServer running on my comp but also the Squeezebox player? and I had that playing something, then at same time I went to the website on my phone and searched for music, and it works. It'll say its playing on the website version on the Treo, but then I gotta go to the single steaming mp3 channel it puts out, via Pocketunes by making a Internet Radio custom bookmark.

Any more help to make this a little more user friendly or how you did it would be cool.
  11.    #11  
    It works. I got it to work, THANKS!!!! WOW ITS ACTUALLY WORKING!!!
    Is Slimsever free? How do u set it up? Does it work like Gloonet? Does it play a list of songs or one by one?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Is Slimsever free? How do u set it up? Does it work like Gloonet? Does it play a list of songs or one by one?
    Yeah its free. They make hardware for it on that website for people who want to hardwire into a stereo or something, but the programs are free.

Its sorta like Gloonet actually, but I couldnt get Gloonet to work at all with my weird proprietary apartment complex's high-speed internet, but Slimserver did.

Its not playlist oriented in Pocketunes or Kinoma, so you can't skip tracks using the player itself, but thru the website that you go on, its very intuitive to either browse, search, make playlists, or play a whole CD or whatever. And then once you got what you want playing, it just streams over one mp3 stream address which is what you play in Ptunes or Kinoma, and just pause thru that as you need to.
    GnuMP3d for picking mp3's, or DarkIce for streaming my current playing songs.
    orb works good for me, just wish kinoma had background play...
    HTC Touch Pro
  16.    #16  
    Yeah the thing with SlimServer is you can use Ptunes, but you have to work your mp3s via your IP address and port number to your computer.

Its still good.
  17.    #17  
    I wish Orb worked for me, it doesnt make sense why it doesnt. I was using Winamp Remote, which is based off the Orb system, and it would finish songs with seconds missing off the ends, and various other bugs and was inconsistent, but still closer than Gloonet, Mytunes RSS or any other program was getting for me.

Now if only Sprint did static IP for Power Vision. Then we'd be set, because the stupid *** rolling IPs, I have to reset which IP I want to play off of in SlimServer site on the Treo. It only shows up my constant Home PC IP and then some new IP number that is what I will play off of, but its still a hassle.

Damn will this ever get right?
    Thats awesome!! I never tried playing videos on here because I thought I needed the full version of Kinoma. For the record, it probably takes 6 seconds or so after I click play video on the website before it starts to buffer up, and buffering takes like 4 seconds. Still pretty good, mobile video, wow man.
    I'm glad it worked!

If only there was a background play and turn off screen thing, like Ptunes, wowww.
    With Kinoma Player 4 EX, you can choose whether to turn off the screen after 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds or never.

We'd like to support background play, but Palm OS isn't a multitasking OS, and we're not willing to implement the fairly-dangerous hacks necessary to simulate this. (Some apps choose to, but those are the ones you need to uninstall first when you start having "random" crashes.)

-- Charles Wiltgen