Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone still have their Treo's or are they all playing with their new iPhones now

I went out to an Apple store today to play around with one myself, and on one hand I think I can proclaim it to be, from a quality and polish standpoint, one of the most well executed (if not THE most well executed) consumer devices on the market. It is truely a next-gen device.

What struck me most was the brightness and clarity of the screen which is complemented by the nice UI, and really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated. Touch sensitivity is very acurate and it doesn't seem like one will have too many issues getting used to it or dealing with inadvertant actions being taken, also the soft keyboard seemed to be pretty easy to use and does a good job of interpreting input.

I could go on and on about the overall polish of the device for quite a while (and polish is where it seems to excel most at the moment), however, there was one big drawback to the iPhone which quickly became apparent to me and would have a major impact on its practicallity for me... It is very difficult, and in some cases with some functions, impossible to use with one hand. I can easily walk around and pretty much perform any function I could think of on my Treo with only my right hand if I wanted to, however, with the iPhone it would be a challenge in some cases, and for some of the "gestures" an impossibility to do this.
    Yeah, because the 700P is a piece of junk. I did purchase an IPhone, but am not activating until Monday, since the business center is closed during the weekends. I just replaced my 700P a week ago and now can sell it once I activate the IPhone.
    all the action is now in the 755p forum
    When (and if) the 755 hits this week and the 800 in Sept (again if) this area will be a ghost town.
    Yall makin me feel kinda bad about my shinny new 700p.
    I did go get an iPhone (one of my employees is still using a 700p herself, and I kept my VZW account, but I downgraded to data-only and picked up an ExpressCard for it): Offhand, here's what I miss from my 700p:

- The LED to notify me of new messages
    - 3rd party app support - in parrticular, I miss the note conduit and Passwords Plus. Hopefully Apple will add some sort of password-protected note feature.
    - I miss all the power of Chatter
    - EDGE isn't as bad as I remember it from my old Treo 650 days. But no, it's not as fast as EVDO.

Where the iPhone just completely spanks the Treo:

- Stability, stability, stability!
    - Bluetooth - even though I don't seem to have OBEX support or BT sync, it makes up for it by being absolutely rock-solid stable when using my headset. I've tried three of the ones I've accumulated (Cardo Scala 700, Plantronics 645, Jawbone), and all work perfectly - no dropped connections, no resets, no nothing. It just works right. My 650 was better than the horrid 700p, but it wasn't this good.

The screen is fantastic. I also don't mind the on-screen keyboard so far - you get the hang of it pretty quickly. And battery life is way better than the Treo - even with my Seidio extended battery the Treo didn't hold up nearly as well as the iPhone seems to so far. Mail on the iPhone is probably about as good as VersaMail, but not as slick as Chatter. And unlike Chatter, Mail (at least so far) only supports timed sync with IMAP servers - not push. I'm kind of expecting that to change.

I do wonder about software updates and delivery - I suspect Apple will be aggressive on that account. Unlike Palm!

We're still going to keep the 700p my employee's using, and mine may get passed on to another Verizon-using worker. There's still a place for Treos out there, but I fear that Palm has blown a market that was pretty much theirs to lose.
  7.    #7  
    Well, despite the whole one handed use thing if the cost of switching for me wasn't so obscenely high (>$1000 over two years, compared to what I have now) I probably would be using one myself.

Another interesting thing at the Apple store was the actual crowd itself, from the size of it you would think it was a typical geek gadget orgy, however, it was a mixed crowd (with a lot of girls) and they were for the most part very very into the iPhone, with a lot of the people there committing to one on the spot.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    this is now the- depressed cuz I own a 700P and its a piece of crap with or without the MR -forum
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    If someone can do a r2sd dump of the 755p rom I can try to compare if its the same as the 700MR
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Other than 2 network issues, and the wonderful touch tone feature, my Treo is king of the hill, since MR.
    Matty
    I still love my 700P. Sorry for bursting anyones "I Hate 700P and everyone should do so too" bubble.
    Not only do I love it, I haven't even done the MR....I've not had any of the problems that plagued others. And I like the little envelope icon on the phone screen. Only problem I"ve had is network problems, and it looks like that MAY have been due to Chattermail.
    The Apple (Darwin) answer to this problem is simple. Just grow a 3rd hand! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari View Post
    ... however, there was one big drawback to the iPhone which quickly became apparent to me and would have a major impact on its practicallity for me... It is very difficult, and in some cases with some functions, impossible to use with one hand. I can easily walk around and pretty much perform any function I could think of on my Treo with only my right hand if I wanted to, however, with the iPhone it would be a challenge in some cases, and for some of the "gestures" an impossibility to do this.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Perhaps in the future we will already have 3 hands
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaphoneman View Post
    I still love my 700P. Sorry for bursting anyones "I Hate 700P and everyone should do so too" bubble.
    I second that for now. My post MR 700P is keeping my happy. I like the iphone but its not good enough for me out of the box, and I am not jumping on the crazy ibandwagon.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Stop with all the doom, & gloom. Look at what the average user rating on cnet is for the iphone. 6.4 is not very impressive, and that's with almost 200 reviews already in. From what I read, it won't do everything my Treo will do. So quit frettin over it.
    Matty
    Give it time. The 700p (a phone that is over a year old) is still much superior to the Iphone in what it can do and usability.

I think we just get bored no matter what. The iphone is new. Palm needs to get something out the door that trumps its current stuff is all. Because it trumped the iphone over a year ago..lol
    from what Ilve read, and I could be wrong, there won't be any 3rd party software for it, except some web apps. so I don't see it being superior to the treo, or PPC, or BB. It doesn't stand up to even current smartphone/pda's on the market.
    Matty
    I think the iPhone looks pretty slick, but I don't see it doing anything for me that my 700p can't do. If I were to upgrade to anything, it'd be the PPC6800. (I really liked the 6700).
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari View Post
    Does anyone still have their Treo's or are they all playing with their new iPhones now
    You are right, the Iphone is an amazing piece of hardware. I stopped by the ATT store today and played around with it. I found myself wanting that amazing screen and thin form factor. That screen is really what seperates the iphone... I could care less about all of the "IPOD" type stuff that the iphone does so well. If I could glue that screen onto my Treo, I'd be one happy camper.

That iphones biggest weakness is the VERY slow network that it's on. INteresting how all of the stores have the iphones connected to wifi and not the wireless.... I think surfing the web with that thing is going to suck bug time... about like surfing the web on a dialup.

The iphone also doesn't do real push email from any imap server, like I can do with my 700p with Chatter or with a Blackberry. Iphone also does not do DUN.

The Iphone is a sweet device, but without broadband speeds, a poor email client, and no DUN... After about week the novilty of it would wear off and I'd be wanting for more.

Greg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast