Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After reading about problems with the 755 and Navigator 6 in an earlier topic, I called Tony at Semsons http://www.semsons.com/ and discussed the issues that had been mentioned. He then contacted his rep at TomTom and found that everything would be fine with the 755 if using the latest version 6.0.3.

In order to verify that it would work before I purchased the package:

(TomTom Navigator 6 USA/Canada with Holux GPSlim236 Bluetooth GPS (SiRF III) - Your Choice of Free Mount) Regular price: $399.99Sale price: $174.99 Regular price: $399.99 Sale price: $174.99

Tony sent me the 6.0.3 version to try on my Treo 755. I loaded it on my expansion card from my MacPro's desktop after first formatting the card (I'm not sure that was necessary).

I still have to buy the maps for it to work, but as far as I can tell installing the Navigator app hasn't caused any problems.

Once again, I have to recommend Semsens for their knowledge and for the wonderful customer service they've given me and for having, as far as I can tell, the lowest prices on what they sell.

Now, I do still have one question. Are any of you using Navigator 6 on your Treo and would you recommend using this GPS solution over a standalone unit like the TomTom One, which wouldn't cost a lot more? I've wondered if the Treo's screen is just too small to be very usable???

I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has used the Treo solution vs the standalone.

Thanks for your thoughts,

GeneL
    I have been a user of TomTom Mobile for Treo for about a year now. This week I upgraded to a new standalone TomTom GO 910, and WOW what a great device it is. Nice 4in screen, BT connectivity with my 700p and a very handy remote control to run the whole device (which also has a touch screen). As handy as the TomTom Mobile was, an all in one unit like the GO 910 is just so much easier to use and work with.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn View Post
    I have been a user of TomTom Mobile for Treo for about a year now. This week I upgraded to a new standalone TomTom GO 910, and WOW what a great device it is. Nice 4in screen, BT connectivity with my 700p and a very handy remote control to run the whole device (which also has a touch screen). As handy as the TomTom Mobile was, an all in one unit like the GO 910 is just so much easier to use and work with.
    I looked at the GO 910 and it seems to be a good choice, except that it's at least $220 more, at the very least, than the Treo package.

I really can't afford it right now.

Based on your experience with both solutions, can you tell me if it's worth using the Treo solution for now or should I just forget about GPS until I can afford the GO 910?

I just don't want to spend just under $200 for something that is basically useless. I definitely have had my reservations about whether the Treo's screen is large enough to be effective.

I appreciate you comments.

GeneL
    I've had tomtom navigator for two years. It works great on the treo. Screen size is not a problem.

However, we recently purchased a tomtom standalone unit for a simple reason. It seemed that many times when we were getting close to making an important turn, somebody would call me, and of course pre-empt tomtom navigator.

So although I love tomtom on the treo, sometimes an all in one device is not the best.

But if you're wondering if it works and if it's great, it is.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister View Post
    I've had tomtom navigator for two years. It works great on the treo. Screen size is not a problem.

However, we recently purchased a tomtom standalone unit for a simple reason. It seemed that many times when we were getting close to making an important turn, somebody would call me, and of course pre-empt tomtom navigator.

So although I love tomtom on the treo, sometimes an all in one device is not the best.

But if you're wondering if it works and if it's great, it is.
    Cluemeister, Thank you! That was just the kind of input I had been asking for.

In the Fall, my S/O and I are going to drive from Orange County over to Sedona AZ and the Grand Canyon. Should the Navigator 6/Treo combination be adequate for our explorations? Is there coverage for remote locations in these areas?

Unless someone posts a significantly negative comment, I think that I'll be ordering the GPS package on Monday.
    I use tomtom 5 with the Treo. Actually, the proper term is that I "made it work" on the 755, I don't actually use it.

It's a nice program, really expensive, and loaded with DRM. Have something go wrong with your device and Sprint gives you a replacement? You will need to be gathering and faxing receipts over to TomTom - and without GPS in the meantime. If this happens on vacation - you're screwed.

Also - do you use your phone at all while you are driving? PalmOS isn't multitask - you have to quit the GPS program, start the phone program, make your call, then afterward go back to the GPS program and get your route back... everytime.

The TomTom software seems well done in itself - but if you are using the Treo as a GPS you basically can't use it for much else. Also - gotta deal with starting and pairing and charging a separate BT GPS module - too complex and can lead to increased risk of accidents and limited use of phone. (hope nobody calls you near a crucial navigation point - it'll interrupt the GPS!)

I ended up buying a Garmin Nuvi 360 - expensive but extremely good and compact, 8 hours claimed battery life, updates delivered by tethering the device to a PC, big screen, roads announced, etc. And I can call or email while driving to my heart's content - without interrupting my GPS routing.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I had TomTom on my 650 and will probably install on my 755, BUT I plan to keep my battered 650 around mainly to use in the car as a nav system with TomTom. That way I can use my 750 for calls, etc... If you wait a little while, you might be able to get a 650 on the cheap through ebay, etc...
  8.    #8  
    Hi Joad!

Well, I asked for the negative side as well, so now I've heard from both sides.

I can see your point from the way you described the main problems you found with using the Treo this way.

"I used tomtom 5 with the Treo. Actually, the proper term is that I "made it work" on the 755, I don't actually use it."

Sounds like you never got it to work properly because, as I understand it, you need Navigator 6.0.3 for compatibility with the 755.

I'm not sure what you meant by "Have something go wrong with your device and Sprint gives you a replacement? You will need to be gathering and faxing receipts over to TomTom - and without GPS in the meantime."

If you mean that if something goes wrong with the Treo you're out of luck, then I have to counter that something could go wrong with a standalone and you'd also be out of luck. I think your reference to gathering and faxing refers to TomTom's software transfer policy? Again, I'm not going to worry about that, but if something does go wrong I will post about it, so you can say, I told you so!

I agree that it's really too bad that the Treos don't multitask. This is an big issue for many of the applications. It sucks that every time you get a call or have to make one, it's back to square one on whatever you were doing previously.

That said, my main interest right now is having a simple, straightforward guidance device for trips to unfamiliar areas. Nowadays, it's rare that we go anywhere that we're not familiar with, so our needs for GPS are minimal.

I don't feel that it will be a problem to turn off the phone while we are traveling unless there's some really urgent need. Using my Treo exclusively for driving directions shouldn't be a problem, since my S/O has her own cellphone along.

I go back to Cluemeister's comment that the screen size wasn't a problem, which alleviated my biggest concern.

As for the charging issue, I already have two retractable car chargers which will work with both the Treo and the GPS unit, so that's not a problem.

My reasoning is that, if the package that I'm planning to get is adequate for our basic needs, the fact that it's under $200 makes it affordable, while any of the standalone units that I like would be too costly right now.

Based on these factors, is there any other reason not to go with my intended package?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

GeneL
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    I had TomTom on my 650 and will probably install on my 755, BUT I plan to keep my battered 650 around mainly to use in the car as a nav system with TomTom. That way I can use my 750 for calls, etc... If you wait a little while, you might be able to get a 650 on the cheap through ebay, etc...
    Hmmm, that's an idea I hadn't considered.

Thing is, then I'd have to carry around two Treos plus the GPS unit. I got the Treo to replace my previous ClieŽand a separate cellphone, so I wouldn't have so many gadgets to carry around.

I don't know if it is possible to migrate Navigator from one Treo to another, but if it is I might consider your idea. That is, if it seems practical after seeing how the setup works on the 755.
    It worked! It worked perfect on my 755, of course with the 680/750 patch...I got it on my 755 today, had to go to a friends house 40 mins away(first time)& it just worked better than I imagine. I used the Seidio GPS, Seidio Cradle(4700x), Seidio 3200 battery(40 mins & NO dimming!)& TomTom 6.
    Last edited by reverendrhino; 07/01/2007 at 02:27 AM.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I first started with mapopolis and my treo 600. I think I paid about $250 for the whole set up, cradle, wired gps, and the maps, IT WAS BUGGY, but it did work. Stand alone GPS units were $12-1500 at that time. When I bought my 650 I also purchased tomtom 5, it was a huge improvement. Setting it up with my mac was not fun at all. the 700p and tomtom 5 got along ok, when I could keep the 700p from resetting. Now with the 755p, and tomtom 6 I am happy. I can keep both my jawbone and the gps unit paired. when a call comes in, by the 3rd ring it has repaired with my headset, and I can answer it with no problems. If a call comes in and I hit ignore tomtom resumes with no interuption. If you take the call, you need to restart tomtom, but it does pick up the route where you left off. I also use a program called KBLights to turn off the keypad while using the treo in the cradle at night. it is WAY too bright without it. For the car I use a seidio cradle with a brodit mounting plate, very stable ane secure. It has an inert for using the treo bare, and you can remove the insert for use with the skin, or hard case. I travel a lot for work, and you always have your phone with you anyway, if you keep in the habit of packing the gps receiver, you can get anywhere
    Last edited by woodbutcher; 07/01/2007 at 04:37 AM.
    Gene, There is a whole lotta folks here who use Tom Tom on their Treos who are not posting.
    I for one use the TT5 on my 755. Works perfectly well. Way better than the crap nav in the BMW. So I always fire up the TT instead.
    I have reccomended it to many of my co workers and they have all been happy.
    The convienience of having it when you need it is neat.
    People call you, tell 'em you will call back if nav is critical. If it is, and you dont know where your next turn is, you should not be talking on the phone anyway. Just hit ignore and go back to nav.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    It worked! It worked perfect on my 755, of course with the 680/750 patch...
    reverendrhino, it was the patch thing that started my concerns in the first place. I had so many problems with my 700P that I didn't want to start screwing around with hacks. I only want to use apps on the 755 that work properly right from the start.

The guy at Semsens assured me that version 6.0.3 would be fine without any patches and it does seem so, since I installed it (without the maps) and I haven't seen any problem having it on the 755. Could installing the maps make any difference?

woodbutcher and Aviator, thank you for your posts as well. I will look into KBLights.

I feel encouraged to use the GPS/755 combo after reading your experiences.

GeneL
    To be honest, I just installed the patch first, to be safe. Then I added the maps, & everything just works.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  15.    #15  
    A question just occurred to me, is there more than one version of the maps that comes with Navigator 6 and if so, how do I know if I'm getting the latest version?

I ask this because I read a post somewhere that the Navigator maps they had weren't up to date.

GeneL
    I like to listen to books, downloaded from public library on my 700p. they load to the SD card. I'm looking at the special from TreoCentral this weekend. Do the maps on TomTom fill the SD card? If so, can I copy the maps onto a larger card, so I can still listen to the books if I don't really need TomTom (like when riding on interstate and don't need directions?
    Thanks
    Bob
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by rcowperthwaite View Post
    I like to listen to books, downloaded from public library on my 700p. they load to the SD card. I'm looking at the special from TreoCentral this weekend. Do the maps on TomTom fill the SD card? If so, can I copy the maps onto a larger card, so I can still listen to the books if I don't really need TomTom (like when riding on interstate and don't need directions?
    Thanks
    Bob
    The entire US and Canada map will take about 1 GB. I have that installed on my 4GB SDHC and still have gobs of room left for games, MP3s, videos, etc. I have several full-length movies on my card and still have tons of room left over!

I've used TomTom6 with my Treo for some time and really like the convenience. You only need one car cradle instead of a phone cradle and a GPS cradle. And while the Treo 755 can't really multitask, it fakes it really well!

Scenario: I launch PocketTunes and start playing some MP3s. I plug the Treo into my car stereo so it's playing through my car speakers. PocketTunes works just fine in the background, so exit and launch TomTom. Now, since I'm listening to music from the same device that's running my GPS navigation, I get the voice prompts over the car speakers! Way easier to hear and not miss that way. Now say a phone call comes in while all that's happening. No problem! Push the button to answer and all of a sudden you've got a speakerphone through your car stereo! No need to pick up the phone, just talk. When you're done, hold down the home button and the first item on the list will get you back into TomTom.

Or, if you're in the passenger seat with a laptop, you can use bluetooth DUN on the Treo while it's paired with your bluetooth GPS! (Just make sure you have a car adapter to keep your Treo powered as doing all that at once will drain the battery pretty quickly)

So maybe some people find having a dedicated standalone GPS unit works better, but I like the synergy that a converged device gives me.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Thanks. you should be on their sales staff!
    Bob
    TT6 works great on my 755p after the patching, though I seem to have problems when I try to use 3rd party POIs.

I also use a GPS program called GeoNiche for hiking and biking when I want to save my route info.

KBLights seems a bit flakey on my 755p. I recently switched to PowerHero - it's way better to me and you can also control other things like screen brightness, bluetooth etc. I highly recommend it.
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned here...if navigating is the critical app you need and you don't want to risk a phone call interrupting, why not just turn the phone radio off? I'm assuming TomTom will still work since it doesn't need a data connection.

Just a thought.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast