Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Well, I guess technically the camera's still there, but its covered and effectively disabled absent taking the phone apart.

http://thebettertons.com/_images/misc/nocamera755p.jpg

I purchased a body for the camera-less version of the Treo 750 from an eBay seller by the name of tech-zone4world. They have a website here:

http://tech-zone4world.com/shop/

Note: They didn't list the camera-less version, but I sent them an eBay message and they told me they had it available for the same price.

Once I got the 750 body (airmail from Hong Kong) and a set of torx bits (you need a T5 - which is not in most "standard" torx sets) it was easy. All I did was:

(1) Remove the battery cover, the stylus and the rubber cover on the upper right.

(2) Remove the three screws. Two in the upper corners (under the stylus and the rubber piece) and one at the bottom where it meets the battery cover.

(3) Carefully pry/pop the old panel off.

(4) Pop the new one in its place and put the three screws back in.

Note that I have probably voided my warranty since the screw under the rubber piece has a little red "Palm" sticker on it that I had to pierce to unscrew it.

But I now have a phone I can take into court.
    Looks good, I wish they had a Burgundy one like that. I hate when I can't take it in to court or other buildings for that matter because of the camera.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    really. really cool. kudos for a job well done!

how much was your total cost, shipped?
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    really. really cool. kudos for a job well done!

how much was your total cost, shipped?
    Thanks.

I paid about $50 or so for the 750 body.

I also had to buy a bit set since I didn't have a T5 bit in any of my current sets. But I don't really count that cost since I wanted an "electronics" bit set anyway.

I went with a "Micro Precision" set from Wiha Tools:

http://www.wihatools.net/700_seri/759_microsets.htm

They make nice tools, and I figure I'm now set for anything that might come up.
    Thats a nice torx set you got there, but for those who just need the bit one-time to work on their phones, you can get a Torx set with the T5 at Home Depot for about $6
    Nice job! Actually looks better than the camera! I wanna do this because I don't use my camera anyway since I have my digital camera on me at all times.
    diane
    Was it not easier to glue a little plastic, which covers the whole left part of the silver frame? It would look the same but without the Palm logo.
    Weird about not being able to take your phone with a camera into court. I went to court last month and without knowing the no camera rule (if there is one) put the phone in my jacket pocket, put the jacket in the box for the xray scanner and went through with no hassles at all. my partner also brought his phone into the court and actually laid it in plain view into the xray machine with no problems. I figure, as long as you're not being obvious with it, who will actually notice? Then you don't have to mod the phone.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob View Post
    Weird about not being able to take your phone with a camera into court. I went to court last month and without knowing the no camera rule (if there is one) put the phone in my jacket pocket, put the jacket in the box for the xray scanner and went through with no hassles at all. my partner also brought his phone into the court and actually laid it in plain view into the xray machine with no problems. I figure, as long as you're not being obvious with it, who will actually notice? Then you don't have to mod the phone.
    Depends on the court. Some allow them. Many others do not. And if they don't permit them, they will search usually notice them on the x-ray, ask you if it's a cameraphone, inspect it and not permit you insideif it is.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I just got my 755p and was just getting ready to rip the camera out.

If we bring cameras/camera cellphones into work, we risk instant termination. Not worth it for me and my family.

Thanks again,
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    Nice tip, and work!
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Great post!!
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I pulled the phone apart and removed the camera from my 755, and found that the phone will not work with out it. If you disconnect the wire that plugs into the camera it acts like the phone has an open in it. (the circuit isn't complete)
    As soon as you plug it back in the phone works like it should. I disabled the camera on my 650 with no problems. Not sure if it was just my phone or they will all do this.
    Here in Virginia, the courts I've been in don't allow ANY phones, camera or not.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I checked e-bay and tech-zone4world for the cameraless housing and no luck. any other ideas? My work has started a no camera phone policy
    And since you're probably not allowed to use the phone in court, what's the point in having it?

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    What do they do about laptops with webcams?

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    The question I had was....."I checked e-bay and tech-zone4world for the cameraless housing and no luck. any other ideas? My work has started a no camera phone policy"......
    Help anyone know a solution to question?

....."I checked e-bay and tech-zone4world for the cameraless housing and no luck. any other ideas? My work has started a no camera phone policy"......
    This is good news. I'll share with colleagues. Thank you!