Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Like many of you, I have been a Palm OS loyalist for several years. I have made a healthy financial investment in hardware and software for my Treos. However, the fact that Palm took over a year to release an update to correct the many problems with the T700p, and the fact that said update creates new problems while failing to address all current problems leads me to this question:

Is it time to throw in the towel and switch to the Mogul PPC-6800?
    You might want to try out the 700wx unless you don't mind the different form factor. It's one thing to switch from a 700wx or 750 to a Mogul, but its quite a change coming from a PalmOS Treo since you are changing form factor and the OS.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, that is a good point.
    i was thinking the same
    Definately a good point. I dropped my 700p for the Mogul a week ago. The 700p has been sitting untouched in a bag with all of it's accessories waitingon an interested buyer ever since.

The switch was definately a mildly uncomfortable one though. Just getting used to the WM6 interface took some time. The other big thing for me was the realization that most programs didn't close, they just went into the background. (I've since fixed that issue).

By far, my biggest complaints are:

- One handed texting is impossible. You need the hand width of Andre the giant to keep the phone stble an the thin fingers of a 10yr old to hit the keys. Plus the grip of a gecko to keep it in place while you type.
    - Threaded SMS is not included. You have to hack something into place.
    - There's nothing (currently) to allow you to control the function of the LEDs (a la Butler)
    ------------------------------------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you.
    Yes, but with the windows mobile treos you still have to deal with Palm. That alone may be a deal-breaker. I have no idea where I'm going for my next phone, personally. I'm not excited about the prospect of using a M$ phone, and the Blackberries have come a long ways since a few years ago but still lack in just enough areas make me wary (touchscreen). I really wish someone would pick up ALP and make a decent phone with it.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I was real close there for a while on dumping the 700p for the Mogul, but post-MR my 700p is good enough to last until Aug08 and a new phone/contract/provider. I just don't want to pay the cover charge to switch right now. By then I'll be prepared for something new.

But one thing is for sure...I'll never again buy a Garnet phone. I will consider a Palm based Linux or WM phone, but Palm must show me something between now and then on innovation and as a company who stands behind thier products. Palm's performance on the 700p is/was awful, to say the least, the very least...
    I tried the swap but the 6800 is a total pain going from a Treo. It's a two handed device which pretty much drove me nuts. Plus I got one with a messed up battery so it made it a real easy decision for me....

I really thought I would like the sliding keyboard form factor, and decided the 6800 would be the device to take the plunge with. I got the 6800 last night and to my extreme displeasure, the battery that was shipped with it had a nice bulge towards the bottom. I could install the battery, but the back cover would not snap on! Nice quality control!

After about 2 hours on the phone last night and another 3 this morning (going thru about 5 different transfers) trying to get a replacement battery, I decided it was time to say goodbye to my 6800. Fortunately, in the short time that I owned my Mogul, I discovered that as cool as the phone was, my Treo 700p is easier to navigate and use. The wasted time with sprint also helped confirm my decision.

The real problem I had with the 6800 is the contacts lookup in the phone app. Without that front-facing keyboard, there is no way to quickly jump to a contact halfway down the list (of about 200 contacts). The other biggie was recent calls. On the treo, if I push the green call button once, it brings up a list of recent calls. If I do that on the 6800, it dials the last number (dumb).

I definitely like the Windows Mobile 6 environment better than PalmOS. I think I'll sit tight with my 700p until sprint has a WM6 Treo 755 or something similar....
    Wait for the Libra. Not sure the model number. It appears to be a Mogul with an additional numerical keypad on the outside.
    Mogul's form factor is why I got rid of a 6700 last year. Too clumsy for one handed use.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    What is the Libra? Linky please?
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAOSWLF View Post
    What is the Libra? Linky please?
    Or search in Google:

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1892
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Like many of you, I have been a Palm OS loyalist for several years. I have made a healthy financial investment in hardware and software for my Treos. However, the fact that Palm took over a year to release an update to correct the many problems with the T700p, and the fact that said update creates new problems while failing to address all current problems leads me to this question:

Is it time to throw in the towel and switch to the Mogul PPC-6800?
    Before you jump to the 6800 - if you have not seen it yet - take a look at my first impressions of this phone:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=145814&page=3

As you, I am a long time Palm OS user and the transition to WM is proving to be a challenge, the new form factor only complicates things more. I have considered trying a 700wx before making my final decision but so far I am sticking with the 6800 to give it a good try.

There are things I love about this phone: the today screen, working/stable bluetooth, native support for stereo bluetooth, no-fuss Wi-Fi, fast web browsing, decent screen resolution, good call volume/quality, multitasking (nice to open few programs and be able to switch between them without loosing your place/data) , nice big sliding keyboard for messaging and email, functional five-way navigator (Treo's is better tough) and excellent wheel control for easy scrolling/selection of most options.

There are things I don't like about this phone: programs buried in menus (much better with the addition of iLauncher), weaker email/SMS application (never thought I would say this but yes, Versamail truly dances around Pocket Outlook), no native threaded SMS capability, poor to no visibility of the screen in strong daylight, poor ringtones and ringtone integration (find it impossible to silence the ringtone for messages even while answering the message), multitasking ('x' does not close programs, again better after iLauncher), sliding keyboard (difficult for any one-handed operation). Also I find the four buttons around the five-way navigator to be kind of hard to press with poor tactile response and flimsy.

In regards to applications, the key built-in Palm applications (PIM) are far superior than out-of-the box WM - I have yet to try any third-party solutions, I will next week. Many other third-party applications seem more robust and mature in terms of features and customization in the Palm world as well - however I am just barely beginning to use those so this impression may change.

As with any transition, old habits die hard; being a long time Palm user I can tell you is difficult to migrate to WM but I don't have a choice, Palm OS no longer fills my working requirements and the Treo also lacks essential capabilities needed in my business at the moment - I find myself in need of integrated Wi-Fi to run business point-of-service applications from the PDA.

The 6800 is a great PDA with fair to good phone capabilities, so far I find the pluses are more than the minuses in my situation. The nice thing about the 6800 is that you have 30-days to try it for yourself; if you don't like it, you return it and go back to Palm or try some other unit. You really have nothing to loose by trying.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 06/30/2007 at 01:22 AM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Wait for the Libra. Not sure the model number. It appears to be a Mogul with an additional numerical keypad on the outside.
    Mogul's form factor is why I got rid of a 6700 last year. Too clumsy for one handed use.
    Certainly looks quite promissing.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    The Libra does look promising. But that write-up is from September 06, and says the phone will be available in "Q1 next year". Obviously not. Anyone have a projected street date?
    By the way, I've been considering switching to the Mogul as well. I've loved my Treos, all the way back to the 300, and I stay away from WM devices, but the whole MR bs sorta soured me on Palm. But I'm sticking around a bit I guess. The deal-breaker for me on the Mogul: No one-handed operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by brains613 View Post
    The Libra does look promising. But that write-up is from September 06, and says the phone will be available in "Q1 next year". Obviously not. Anyone have a projected street date?
    FCC approved it in April: http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...ra-clears-fcc/

Rumors here: http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/FCC-...le-a_1875.html

Same rumors on a dozen other sites. All saying "soon".
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

-Jack Handy, SNL-

I just bought my 6800 today! I'm freaking excited to finally be rid of Palm forever!
    zelet, I'm thinking of switching. The MR made my 700P worse! How are you doing w/the switch to the new form factor and WM6? Is it worth it? Have you tried iLauncher? Have you tried the scrolling contact list program that recently came out? Sorry for the many questions, but I want to make sure before I take the plunge.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    ......Mogul's form factor is why I got rid of a 6700 last year. Too clumsy for one handed use.
    Exactly. I'll always own a device that can be operated one-handed and with a real QWERTY.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast