Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    After three weeks with the 6800 I will be returning the device to Sprint and go back to the 700p as my phone/PDA.
    Yes, thanks for the updates. Although I've been lurking a lot lately I have kept up with the mogul threads and have actually been using my ipaq WM5 pda provided by work as little as a test to see how WM actually feels.

Frankly, I hate it. I'm sure I'm not going to all the trouble to find tweeks and third party sw to beef up WM, but that's really not my style. POS has always just worked for me straight out of the box with a little amplification of the Outlook integration with Keysuite.

But the real kicker so far for me is the one handed operation of the Treos. I always seem to be whipping out the stylus in WM which I rarely do under POS and Treos. And now after the MR, BT is actually usable even if other issues are now irritating me. But they are really secondary to an operational hands free phone.

GAH! Palm get your sh&t together! Some of us can't bare to leave (although I'll be a monkey's bare assed uncle before I buy another Garnet phone/device...famous last words....)
    has anyone got thier 700p switched out for a 755?

just sucks that u have to buy a new sd card
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    has anyone got thier 700p switched out for a 755?

just sucks that u have to buy a new sd card
    I finally finagled tech 3 support to note I needed the 755p. since the pv drop issue is being had by several, I was not going to settle for another 700p. The store had to order it, and it should be here by the first of the week. Yeah, I hate having to buy another memory card as well. But, I guess it will be worth it, to not have the constant pv drops. That is assming the 755p doesn't have them.
    Matty
    Well I returned two of three Moguls I ordered, the last one I decided to keep for myself to tweak some more.

I recently installed the HTC Touch plug which has small launcher pad (can accomodate seven apps) plus weather and clock/date. I am also testing a photo dial plug in and seems that now this device starts to show more promise for single-handed operation.

The main reason I kept the phone is internet browsing, seems so much faster than Blazer and with PIE Plus, very capable for a pocket device.

This is what I have currently installed:

HTC Touch Home Plugin (freeware)
    HTC Black Theme (freeware)
    HTC X-Button (freeware)
    Calendar+ Plugin (freeware)
    Contact-ing
    MemMaid
    Tweaks2k2
    PIE Plus
    TCPMP (freeware)
    Hi-Calc
    ePocrates
    Pocket Quicken
    Bejeweled
    eReader
    Sprite backup
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    TreoNewt,

Check out Contact Manager .10 - http://ppcgeeks.com/finger-flick-con...-11-t6468.html

It's very 1-handed friendly and free.

Also check out AE Button Plus - http://ae.inc.ru/aebplus.php
    It's $7 and has a 2 week trial to test it out. I wouldn't use a PPC without it after getting it for my 700wx originally.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Try SKTools. It'll keep your system tidy. I'd like to know how well StyleTap works with the Mogul as well. Can one of you Mogul-lites try out StyleTap and let us know. SPB Pocket Plus is another good app.. Another neat app. for those without A2DP headsets is this Bluetooth toggle utility found on the PDAPhoneHome forum. It redirects all audio to any bluetooth headset and it's free.

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/samsu...h-headset.html
    so as time has been going on .. is switching to the Mogul PPC-6800 from the treo 700p worth it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    so as time has been going on .. is switching to the Mogul PPC-6800 from the treo 700p worth it ?
    I should be getting mine today. I'll let you know.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Did u pay to upgrade your treo 700p or sprint replaced your phone with the Mogul PPC-6800 ?
    Well after a long try with the 6800 I have finally sent all of them back to Sprint and returned to the 700p.

The 6800 as mentioned earlier is a cool looking device with lots of potential, as a PDA is fantastic with excellent features and functionality. Unfortunately the phone seems to be an afterthought addition with poor integration with the rest of the OS.

After searching in vain for an answer I have come to the conclusion that SMS alerts on the 6800 (WM in general?) can not be muted like ringtones with a hardware button press. I failed to found any hacks or programs to achieve this simple function available in every phone including the 700p. Since I use my smartphone as a pager through SMS messaging, the ability to stop the alert once I acknowledge the message is crucial, using a shorter wav as suggested is not a solution to me, an unsatsfactory work-around that may easily lead me to miss an important page in noisy environments.

The "last straw" came after a lengthy call a few nights ago. During the call, the PDA "timed out" and went to "sleep" leaving me on the call. When done, the other party hung-up but the 6800 didn't, pressing the red telephone key to hang-up did not work as the device was locked. Had to press the power button, enter the password and THEN hang-up the phone. Tried this a few other times with similar results. This is quite unacceptable and a clear symptom of absent phone/OS integration on this device; being a heavy bluetooth user, having to pull the phone everytime to hang-up or make sure it hung-up after a call defeats the purpose of using the headset.

I am sure there may be add-ons, programs or hacks to address some of the phone's behavior (or lack thereof), but having to modify such an expensive phone so much just to offer basic phone functionality is not worth this kind of money.

My final veredict on the 6800 is as written, a great PDA but a poor phone compared to my prior smartphones. This is not to be taken as an indictment of WM smartphones in general, but a specific conclusion regarding the Sprint branded HTC-6800 in it's present iteration. I do not believe this PDA/phone is well integrated or ready for the functionality is expected to deliver out-of-the-box.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Got mine today, and so far the only negative I have is the back cover. Very flimsy. Bends easily. It does latch on nicely. Doesn't look like it will accidently come off, unless you drop it.

Jury's still out overall. There's a learning curve going from POS to WM. I'll be playing with it for the next few days.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

keep in mind that windows mobile phones crash alot more than palm phones.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coorspate View Post
    If you had my 700p you sure wouldn't say that...
    I'm not impressed with the 6800's battery life. Fully charged last night @ 10:30pm, as of 7:00am, it's down to 60%. That's with no calls. But in all fairness, BT was active during that time.

-Jack Handy, SNL-

coorspate you are kidding right? The 700wx was way more stable than the 650 700p & 755. My 700wx would run for weeks or months without a spontaneous reboot or lockup. The 650 & 700p would lock up multiple times a week.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by coorspate View Post
    Actually I find this to be an inaccurately biased observation. With no third party applications the OS is very stable, once applications are added problems are encountered as expected.

I have learned to fully backup a stable configuration before adding any new program since deleting an offending application sometimes leaves behind orphan files leading to instability. When removing an unstable application (Palm or WM) I like to hard reset and restore from the last known stable backup.

If any I can say the 700p before MR was perhaps a bit more temperamental than the Win Mobile 6 device I tested.

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    I'm not impressed with the 6800's battery life. Fully charged last night @ 10:30pm, as of 7:00am, it's down to 60%. That's with no calls. But in all fairness, BT was active during that time.
    My experience with battery life on the 6800 is much better, it always lasted well over a 36-period with normal use (calls, bluetooth, light web use, light application use, background email retrieval). With heavier use of music playing, Wi-Fi, games, the longevity was decreased to about 18-20 hrs. The Treo 700p performance is comparable with the normal-capacity battery.

Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez View Post
    After using a 6700, and not liking it because of the battery life, I now am ready to move on to the 6800 since it is suppose to be much better.

I use my phone primarily for data use, so I think the 6800 will be much better for me. I will keep the 700P for emergency use.

I have been meaning to call Sprint for one but I have been busy. I should have one by next week.
    I still have 2 more weeks left of my 30 days. My major gripe is the screen outdoors; its horrid. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to better see this thing in sunlight?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I wasn't able to get SPB Backup to work on my 6800 - caused a soft reset everytime... is it working for you? I decided to use Sprite Backup and is good so far.

To start registry tweaking "safely", you may want to download and try Tweaks2K2, has several of the main registry tweaks arranged in menus you choose to activate or not - including getting rid of the "SMS sent message".

SPB Pocket Plus has a built-in task manager that allows the 'x' to really close any program you want, no need to install anything else.
    Im currently using SPB Backup and haavent had any major problems. It did lock up one time; dont know why, but after a soft reset, everything was golden.

Sprite Backup gave me problems on my 6700, so I didnt opt to use it again.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit2 View Post
    Hi,

how to move the massive contact from palm to 6800? Using outlook?
    I haven't see the 6800 model at the store yet... usually I want to play with it before buying. of course hope I can get an discount ;-) I am a POS user so moving to WM will take some "reading" on the post like yours.
    I used pocket copy. "at the touch of a button, move your palm desktop
    address book, date book, to do list and memo pad
    information into microsoft outlook contacts,
    calendar, tasks and notes."
    ~ ScandaLous ~
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast