Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    @TreoNewt
    Spb Backup has worked beautifully on my 6800 and my wife's. I read that some had issues with SPB until they got the latest version from their website. I was trying Sprite, but Pibe38 had some nasty reboot loops that needed a hard reset to fix and was apparently caused by Sprite. It didn't happen everytime, but disappeared completely after he switched to SPB.

@KAOSWLF
    Cody and I came up with an app to kill the flashing service LED. We are still working out the bugs, but it has worked flawlessly for us so far.

http://ppcgeeks.com/led-killer-1-0-f...-mo-t6367.html
    Thanks stroths, I will try SPB backup again.

BTW, have you come up with a new signature yet?
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    @TreoNewt

Per your request, I updated my sig.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Now that is a more appropiate signature!

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I've been using my 6800 for about a week now. Returned the 700p yesterday.

Initial impressions, I hated the 6800. The interface seemed cumbersome, it lagged, and I was going through palm withdrawal. Forced myself to get used to the device by tweaking things to meet my needs. Now I am not looking back to Palm anymore!!! The biggest fix was to customize hard buttons for apps I needed and this solved the lack of one hand operation. Then I added HTC X button to fix memory lag, HTC home plugin for a better today screen, HTC comm manager, slide2unlock, opera mini 4, opera mobile 8.65, minimo, and happy tapping keyboard ('eye'Phone like keyboard).

The wow factors for me now are stability (no resets), bluetooth, and internet browsing speed. I can walk 20-30' from the 6800 and get skip free music on my bluetooth headphones when multitasking. Internet speed is fantastic. IE blows blazer away, and opera mini 4 is 100% stable on the built in Java engine.

The biggest things I miss are the hard buttons for turning audio off and the hard button for adjusting brightness.
    I am still on the fence... I use SMS messaging as my pager and works well on the Treo, however when a message comes in I have yet to find a way to stop the alert sound; no key will silence the device, not even opening the message will - very annoying symptom of extremely poor phone/OS integration.

This is a major issue for me, the rest I have been able to tweak so far. Have searched for an answer to this one but found none suitable so far, if anyone has a suggestion for this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Trying very hard to adapt to WinMob...

Are the 700wx's as bad as the 700p's???

We have 4 700p's and are ready to throw them up against the wall We are looking at the Wx's but want to know if they have the same problems as the p's, is the problem the palm OS or the hardware???
    Our most common problems are:

1) Locking up and not being able to turn them back on without a reset.

2) Reseting on random apps and the reset stays in a loop. Only fixed by Hard Resetting and restoring, or Soft Resetting and removing the app that caused the problem (if you know what it was)

I don't mind if my phone crashes on an app every once in a while but: A) I would need to know it crashed. With number 1 you don't know it is locked up until you go to use it or your wife yells at you for not answering your phone
    With number 2 it can take at best 15min just to get your phone back up and running.

Just wanted to know if the WX will have any of these same problem, if so we would go with the 6800. We had Dell Axim's before we got the Treo's and did not have problems like this with Windows Mobile.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post

We have 4 700p's and are ready to throw them up against the wall We are looking at the Wx's but want to know if they have the same problems as the p's, is the problem the palm OS or the hardware???

2) Reseting on random apps and the reset stays in a loop. Only fixed by Hard Resetting and restoring, or Soft Resetting and removing the app that caused the problem (if you know what it was)

I don't mind if my phone crashes on an app every once in a while but: A) I would need to know it crashed. With number 1 you don't know it is locked up until you go to use it or your wife yells at you for not answering your phone
    With number 2 it can take at best 15min just to get your phone back up and running.

Just wanted to know if the WX will have any of these same problem, if so we would go with the 6800. We had Dell Axim's before we got the Treo's and did not have problems like this with Windows Mobile.

Thanks,
    Scott

I too am looking at the wx's. Palm OS bites. I was wondering if the wx's will be upgraded to winm6?
    Matty
    The 700wx was much more stable than my 650 or 700p ever was. It had an issue every once in a while, but I could leave it running for weeks without the need of a soft reset. The 700wx is believed my many to be the most stable WM phone on the market due to its design and the improvements/tweaks Palm put into it. Its unknown if Sprint will provide a WM6 upgrade for it or not at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post

Thanks,
    Scott

What are you running on your Treos?? I have mine fairly loaded up and I don't think I've ever had any crashes or resets. I do a soft reset every now and then, though, mainly because of my OC disorder, but I don't think it's something necessary. It doesn't help that I bought that Seidio battery cover (easy access).
    Hi,

how to move the massive contact from palm to 6800? Using outlook?
    I haven't see the 6800 model at the store yet... usually I want to play with it before buying. of course hope I can get an discount ;-) I am a POS user so moving to WM will take some "reading" on the post like yours.
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
    The easiest way to get the contacts from POS to WM is to sync your POS Treo with Outlook when sync your WM phone to Outlook.
    I was told by the store near my house that they wouldn't have it in the store until next month. I doubt that is true for all stores, though. I went ahead and ordered mine. I get it tomorrow. Sprint gives you 30 days to try it out.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    I played with the 6800 for a little bit and here are my impressions:

- No hardware audio switch / toggle like the one found at the top of the Treos.
    Of course, the MR made this point moot. The Treo is no longer silent regardless of the position of the hardware audio switch.
    After three weeks with the 6800 I will be returning the device to Sprint and go back to the 700p as my phone/PDA.

My conclusions:

1. The 6800 is a wonderful PDA, very functional in that area with an enviable set features, as a phone however leaves much to be desired do to poor OS phone integration; seems like MS is not really putting much effort into adapting the mobile OS platform for phone functionality. To add insult to injury, the current version of MS Voice Command program does not seem to work well with this phone (or WM6?). BT is not much better or worse than Palm's, which is to say hit or miss. When you get an SMS, there is no way to silence the alert by pressing any button like you can silence the phone ringtones - again, very poor OS phone integration here.

2. Screen resolution and color quality are excellent for indoor viewing, but if you need to use it for any purpose while outside under bright sunlight, visibility drops to almost zero.

3. In my opinion, the built-in contact manager (pocket outlook) is a rather anemic application with little in the way of options. When synchronized with the desktop version of Outlook does not seem compatible with all the fields making it necessary to enter/add some information by hand - very poor design!

3. The SMS client is decent but as you all know does not support message threading out-of-the or emoticons like Palm. Installing the Palm threaded "hack" brings this feature to the 6800 but I have noticed the virtual keyboard does not work with this application, rather obscuring the reply window area making it necessary to always use the slide keyboard. I have also noticed this "hack" seems to make my 6800 more unstable, and once installed, can not be removed using uninstall applet - I had to hard reset my device and restore to remove it. Is unclear if the MMS "hack" actually works on this phone.

4. Native email client is just plain-vanilla; contrary to Versamail, if you want to schedule automatic email fetching there are no time or day settings - like from 8a to 6p Mon through Fri for example. Setting email accounts is simplified by allowing the client to look-up most of the settings automatically, but to change any option takes you through multiple screens rather than an organized one-page menu - annoying. HTML email on the other hand is certainly awsome and works really well on the 6800.

5. Pocket Outlook is great, much better and faster than Blazer in my opinion. Again is very spartan in terms of built-in options and features but in general terms is capable of offering great web surfing out-of-the box. Landscape surfing certainly improves page readability by making the page wide.

6. Today screen is great with key information presented in an organized useful fashion, the ability to change themes on the fly is very nice specially since many great themes are availble with little web searching for free. The lack of an icon driven program launcher however, is a major issue to someone coming from Palm OS. Multitasking is a also a great feature but again, the lack of a native task manager makes this a non-feature - what is up with that!

7. In regards to the unit itself, the package is certainly sleek, attractive and as some have said, has significant "cool factor" to it. After using the phone features I can say the call quality seems good, volume on the earpiece for me is sufficient and speakerphone volume is adequate. The battery cover is an issue, very poorly designed and likely to break with normal use. The built-in buttons are a little hard to operate with poor "tactile feeling", specially the soft-menu buttons around the five-way navigator. The scroll-wheel is a great feature, I really like this one; the five-way navigator is also very usable. The slide keyboard I feel is a weak point in the design, with very limited use mine is starting to feel a bit loose already. The keyboard layout however is certainly good and very functional with great (and attractive) backlighting.

In summary I see the 6800 as a wonderful PDA and WM as an OS with great potential, sadly it requires too much tweaking and third-party software to optimize the phone/PIM/SMS/email native applications. In all, WM seems more stable than Palm at this point, but Palm is better designed to integrate the phone functionality into the PDA experience - aside from the one-hand operation which is a hardware design.

Despite all it drawbacks, issues and problems, Palm OS seems better suited for my needs at this point. I will keep one of the 6800 units to continue exploring the WM OS in an effort to find a way to make it work for me in the future as I know Palm OS's days are limited.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 07/10/2007 at 10:05 AM.

I guess your name will stay, Treonewt. After this 700p disaster, I am changing my name to TreoDIE!
    Matty
    Lol!

Wow! From your first few posts it sounded like you were gonna stick with the Mogul. I wonder what I'll end up with. Should get mine tomorrow.
    I as well am returning my 6800 in favor of either my 700wx or my 700p.

Making the choice between those two as we speak.

The 6800 was a nice device but between the horrible phone intigration and the fact I had a perfectly good 700wx and 700p sitting on my desk, it simply was not worth the money.

Another large factor was the move from 1 handed operation to 2 handed operation.

Nice phone....just not worth that much if you already have a Treo IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    After three weeks with the 6800 I will be returning the device to Sprint and go back to the 700p as my phone/PDA...
    <snip>
    ...Despite all it drawbacks, issues and problems, Palm OS seems better suited for my needs at this point. I will keep one of the 6800 units to continue exploring the WM OS in an effort to find a way to make it work for me in the future as I know Palm OS's days are limited.
    Very well written. Thank you for taking the time.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I played around with a co workers 700w today, for a few hours. And to put it in a nutshell, wm5 is just, well boring. I guess that is the best way to phrase it. Couldn't stream shoutcast without another program. I don't know it was just boring. If I can get rid of this 700p, I believe I won't have the PV drops with the 755p. MAYBE. HOPEFULLY.
    Matty
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast