Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I played with the 6800 for a little bit and here are my impressions:

- No hardware audio switch / toggle like the one found at the top of the Treos.
    - The jog dial can only be used to change volume of apps. you're in. It doesn't change the volume of the phone.
    - Both the MicroSD slot, IR port, and stylus slot are at the bottom of the unit.
    - The battery cover is very thin and sometimes difficult to put back on.
    - At the same level, the 6800's screen is much brighter than the 6700's.
    - No 2.5mm or 3.5mm headset / headphone jack. You need to use the included adapter that has a headset jack on one end and plugs into the 6800's sync connector.
    - Lagged alot when I was using it and even after a hard reset.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Woooot!! My Mogul just arrived and is charging up... First impression is wow! Nice size, Nice weight.. screen looks great. I will let it charge for like 2-3 hours before calling to connect. I am new to WM and have always been a palm guy so I am a noob all over again... But they have quite a few knowledgeable peeps who are working hard on a few minor tweaks and are always willing to anwer questions...

I'm not gonna divorce Palm, more like a trial separation... But I have to say things are looking bleak for palm...

KAOS
    keep us posteddddddddd
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Is there a "call filter" or "call block" type program for this device? I have been thinking of this switch also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    zelet, I'm thinking of switching. The MR made my 700P worse! How are you doing w/the switch to the new form factor and WM6? Is it worth it? Have you tried iLauncher? Have you tried the scrolling contact list program that recently came out? Sorry for the many questions, but I want to make sure before I take the plunge.
    Not Zelet but may be able to answer some of the above.

The new form factor is certainly the main problem after being "spoiled" by true one-hand operation. Is possible to "tweak" the 6800 for almost one-handed operation but you will need to use the stylus at some time. I am still surprised about the call quality, much better than Treo's.

I installed iLauncher, is a neat and useful program but I feel needs some updating for WM6... I am getting instability that I have traced to this program. Others are using SBP PocketPlus with no problems - it has similar functionality.

The contact list included with WM can be navigated quite easily with the scroll-wheel or the five-way navigator, so I don't know if you are talking about a third party application. Having said that I really do not like the Calendar/eMail/PIM applications of WM, find those to be lacking in customization options; I have downloaded several third party offerings to try on the weekend.

I will also try several third-party dialers I found as I find the included dialer to have very small virtual keys and while dialing or looking for a contact I press the wrong key often.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    I played with the 6800 for a little bit and here are my impressions:

- No hardware audio switch / toggle like the one found at the top of the Treos.
    - The jog dial can only be used to change volume of apps. you're in. It doesn't change the volume of the phone.
    This is certainly true, you can easily accomplish these operations from the Today screen - requires tapping the speaker icon at the top.

- Both the MicroSD slot, IR port, and stylus slot are at the bottom of the unit.
    Despite this, the SD is securely held in place and the stylus seats tightly on the well. My gripe is the IR port, makes it difficult to use with remote control software if you so choose.

- The battery cover is very thin and sometimes difficult to put back on.
    Very thin, flimsy and break-prone if you ask me.

- At the same level, the 6800's screen is much brighter than the 6700's.
    - No 2.5mm or 3.5mm headset / headphone jack. You need to use the included adapter that has a headset jack on one end and plugs into the 6800's sync connector.
    The screen is actually excellent, so long as you remain indoors. Against strong daylight it becomes very difficult to read. Anti-reflective screen protectors are claimed to help some with this problem.

The lack of standard headset jack is a headache, however with AD2P this may not be so much of an issue to most. My gripe is when charging, you have to use an adapter between the units proprietary USB to a standard mini-USB connector - can't understand the rationale for these one.

- Lagged alot when I was using it and even after a hard reset.
    This I have to disagree with, my unit is very snappy w/o any applications loaded, with some lag after about 60MB of programs loaded in memory. In fact one of the things that surprised me the most when I got this unit was how quick it was opening programs. I was able to compare with a brand new 6700 and the 6800 is much faster on all accounts.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by ancalagon View Post
    Is there a "call filter" or "call block" type program for this device? I have been thinking of this switch also.
    Yes there are; two I have found include MagiCall and Call Block.

I don't use these type of programs and can't comment about features compared to Palm counterpart.

The 6800 was a pretty good unit overall. I wasn't trying to just bash it above. Just giving my quick thoughts on the unit and that's what stuck in my head. Anyway, I can't wait until Palm releases a 320x320 WM6 device.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    The 6800 was a pretty good unit overall. I wasn't trying to just bash it above. Just giving my quick thoughts on the unit and that's what stuck in my head. Anyway, I can't wait until Palm releases a 320x320 WM6 device.
    No bashing here, after using this device for the past two and a half weeks I was just adding to your initial impressions. The 6800 is a very capable device with great features, but as ALL smartphones it has it's flaws.

Despite my gripe with Palm I must admit a high resolution WM6 Treo sounds appealing.

After using a 6700, and not liking it because of the battery life, I now am ready to move on to the 6800 since it is suppose to be much better.

I use my phone primarily for data use, so I think the 6800 will be much better for me. I will keep the 700P for emergency use.

I have been meaning to call Sprint for one but I have been busy. I should have one by next week.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    How does pocket outlook work with pop mails? Are the mails instantly delivered or does it pull at predetermined times like versamail, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by animlmed View Post
    How does pocket outlook work with pop mails? Are the mails instantly delivered or does it pull at predetermined times like versamail, etc?
    don't have a mogul, but pop email, is pop email, weather its on a palm, wm, or a pc... it always pulls a predetermined intervals.. to get push email you will need imap, or exchange
    HTC Touch Pro
    Well, I guess I'm a little spoiled with chatter, and i was hoping it worked like that. With my AOL, whenever I receive an e-mail in my inbox, it also shows up on my palm chatter inbox almost instantly.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    ok...

So tonight was my first night with my new toy... the 6800 out of the box is impressive. Nice look to it, feels really light, call quality is excellent, screen is awesome. I agree about the battery cover, but you know what, once you get it on you have no real reason to take it off. No reset button hiding back there. So once you get the battery in and the cover on you are golden...

The 6800 needs a little tweaking depending on the user. I installed SPB pocket plus to control my themes and to give me all the icons I need on the front without having to search for anything...

I also installed Memaid to help keep things clean and running smoothly. It cleans up all the crap that gets left behind like temp files and stuff using your memory that you don't need.

The stylus is nice and snug and I am adjusting well to the slide out keyboard. Funny thing is the keyboard on the screen responds to finger tapping well and it also has suggested words to help you move along quicker. It also guesses what your next word might be.

I need to install the X button closer and have downloaded it but cannot seem to find the instructions on how to install it. Also, I am learning how to download free themes and change the look of it.

Web is nice and fast and I will be getting a slingbox soon so I can watch DirectTV on my 6800.

I am still learning a lot and have been reading countless posts on different progs to help a user out. I am curious about Styletap because with that prog you are able to run palm OS programs from it. So I might try that soon once I get comfortable.

First thing I installed was SPB backup in case I screw something up that way I can always just go back.

Overall I am loving this machine and my experience is very positive. No real negative issues yet. I eventually want to install the "remove message sent" hack and something to control the LED on it too but it is best to learn to crawl before I try running!

Email I have not really tried yet except to connect to my AOL mail... any recommendations on true pushmail would be greatly appreciated.

I will update you guys more as I go through the learning curves...

KAOS
    I wasn't able to get SPB Backup to work on my 6800 - caused a soft reset everytime... is it working for you? I decided to use Sprite Backup and is good so far.

To start registry tweaking "safely", you may want to download and try Tweaks2K2, has several of the main registry tweaks arranged in menus you choose to activate or not - including getting rid of the "SMS sent message".

SPB Pocket Plus has a built-in task manager that allows the 'x' to really close any program you want, no need to install anything else.

Pocket Outlook has few options compared to even Versamail - is just plain and does the basic job of retrieving email from POP manually or at set intervals - no push emulation here.

I am trying FlexMail, so far very customizable and has very nice features lacking on Outlook such as deleting retrieved messages from the server. Installed it last night so I am still "playing" with it. Have not tried it yet but seems to be able to retrieve your POP at whatever interval is set by the user.

@TreoNewt
    Spb Backup has worked beautifully on my 6800 and my wife's. I read that some had issues with SPB until they got the latest version from their website. I was trying Sprite, but Pibe38 had some nasty reboot loops that needed a hard reset to fix and was apparently caused by Sprite. It didn't happen everytime, but disappeared completely after he switched to SPB.

@KAOSWLF
    Cody and I came up with an app to kill the flashing service LED. We are still working out the bugs, but it has worked flawlessly for us so far.

http://ppcgeeks.com/led-killer-1-0-f...-mo-t6367.html
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez View Post
    After using a 6700, and not liking it because of the battery life, I now am ready to move on to the 6800 since it is suppose to be much better.

I use my phone primarily for data use, so I think the 6800 will be much better for me. I will keep the 700P for emergency use.

I have been meaning to call Sprint for one but I have been busy. I should have one by next week.
    Battery life on my unit is fair, similar to my Treo with the regular battery. A high capacity battery for this device would be icing-on-the-cake.

FWIW, the OS responds a lot quicker than WM5 which I had a chance to use this week on a friend's 6700. As a data platform I feel this device is very capable.

Don't have one, but looked at one. You need exchange activesync for push email, and it does have it..
    Matty
    If you guys want to fully enjoy Pocket Internet Explorer, try ReenSoft's PIE Plus, adds great features including tabs and the ability to emulate desktop IE among many others.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast