1.    #1  
    This is insane. They get to wait in line for days for the privilege to spend $500 on a unproven piece of technology.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-973...ml?tag=nl.e501
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Nuts is when people waiting in line to be the first to purchase Windows Vista (it was available to be downloaded from the web).
    Just guessing, but I think many of the first iPhones will be peddled on eBay (with a nice markup) due to the expected shortages (like the Wii, etc.)
    Last edited by haroldo; 06/27/2007 at 12:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Expected shortages? They have 500,000 of these just for the month of June. Expected to make 200,000 a month every month after that, and by the end of 2008 have 10 million! Don't think they will go for much on eBAY also considering that this isn't Christmas and only kids, or people trying too look cool are going to be buying it. No business people will.
  4. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    Expected shortages? They have 500,000 of these just for the month of June. Expected to make 200,000 a month every month after that, and by the end of 2008 have 10 million! Don't think they will go for much on eBAY also considering that this isn't Christmas and only kids, or people trying too look cool are going to be buying it. No business people will.
    check ebay tomorrow - I think you'll be surprised....
    Cheers

Charles
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Don't think they will go for much on eBAY also considering that this isn't Christmas and only kids, or people trying too look cool are going to be buying it. No business people will.
    No business people will buy it? That's a bold statement, especially with the buzz about the Apple getting access to the Exchange protocol.
    I think its fair to say that people who aren't real technical will be buying it based on looks and coolness factor. Keep in mind, lots of people think this is revolutionary or something to be browsing the net on a cellphone.

Business people? You're being kind by saying they are tech people. Treos & other smartphones just haven't gotten popular to that level yet.

The iphone will be huge. Apple is very smart and markets like they are 6 year olds. You almost have to. Yes, it's a limited device. But you can't throw the kitchen sink at the technically challenged masses. It's got enough of the coolness factor already for the masses. (and yes, business people are part of it..most i know are anyways). Wait for version 2.0, the masses will eat it up (again) not realizing there's better now and has been for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think its fair to say that people who aren't real technical will be buying it based on looks and coolness factor. Keep in mind, lots of people think this is revolutionary or something to be browsing the net on a cellphone.

Business people? You're being kind by saying they are tech people. Treos & other smartphones just haven't gotten popular to that level yet.

The iphone will be huge. Apple is very smart and markets like they are 6 year olds. You almost have to. Yes, it's a limited device. But you can't throw the kitchen sink at the technically challenged masses. It's got enough of the coolness factor already for the masses. (and yes, business people are part of it..most i know are anyways). Wait for version 2.0, the masses will eat it up (again) not realizing there's better now and has been for awhile.
    How true! We can witness this already right here on TC with the unreleased version .001 ...and these people already own better.
  8. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    They are on ebay now, with most having "buy it now" prices in the $3k range....
    Cheers

Charles
    I admit I feel some iPhone envy.
    It is a cool looking device. Screen looks awesome.
    But last month, when my VZW contract ended I had to make a decision and I pondered the iPhone.
    I chose the Treo 700p mainly because I have used Palm OS devices for 7 years and a Treo 650 for the last 2.
    I ported to a Sprint SERO plan. I love only paying $30 for so much.
    Sprint's EVDO is killer, I got a Slingbox. You can't do that with an iPhone. I have the You Tube mobile page bookmarked so I can do that like the iPhone.
    I have Google maps, just like the iPhone.
    I can send picture mails, the iPhone can't. I can take video, the iPhone can't.
    The only thing I'll give the iPhone is it has a higher res screen.
    So today, with the hype, it's easy to say the iPhone is better than the Treo, but when you really think it out, I know I made the right choice.
    Now 2 years from now, when they have a $200 iPhone with 3G and the other goodies, maybe?