1.    #1  
    Anybody here noticed that the IP addresses changed overnight ?
    They used to all be on a 166.x range and now they are on a 32.148 range!!

In fact, looking at the block - they own all of 32.x.x.x !!
    AT&T is one of the original darpa providers so they would have a class A. It was probably part of the buy out.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Yes, AT&T owns the A class block of 32.x.x.x.

I'd think there are subnets for various things, however... My 680 is 32.128.0.xxx right now.
  4.    #4  
    I don't believe the hype about IP address space crowding. There is plenty of un-used space but I do think there are companies hoarding. There is no way AT&T is going to use all of their Class A !! Cogent has the old PSI Net 38.x.x.x !! There is so much NAT and bogon proxying going on that the call for IPV6 is questionable, IMHO.
    Alrighty then.. Glad you caught up.

However, IPV6 has a lot more to offer. 'Running out of IPs' is just an easy way to convince people/sheep/management.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott View Post
    I don't believe the hype about IP address space crowding. There is plenty of un-used space but I do think there are companies hoarding. There is no way AT&T is going to use all of their Class A !! Cogent has the old PSI Net 38.x.x.x !! There is so much NAT and bogon proxying going on that the call for IPV6 is questionable, IMHO.
    1. There isn't really that much space left. Very simple math shows that a consistent allocation at the current rate will only last until 2011.

2. AT&T is probably easily using their /8. A /8 gives you 16M addresses. Think about the all of the data cell phones, cable modems, DSL lines, and their tons of staff. Given their user base and size, 16M is a small number.

3. I just 'might' agree with you on Cogent. They are largely a transit provider so they likely don't use it all themselves...HOWEVER, they are an ISP and there is this rule that unless you are multihomed with multiple upstream providers, you can ONLY get space from your ISP. Therefore, I suspect Cogent re-allocates a lot of that /8 to its customers.

4. Anyone that does real high performance networking knows that NAT is a poor bandaid for the real problems. NAT is for you home office, not for the enterprise. NAT is NOT the answer.

5. There is no such thing as 'bogon proxying.' I'm not sure where you got mixed up, or maybe you just googled a few things and threw some technical words together to sound smart, I can't be certain. A "bogon" is a range of IP addresses that are currently unassigned to any of the 5 RIRs by ICANN. A 'proxy' in technical terms, is defined as a host or service that makes connections or relays information on behalf of another host. I don't even see how those two words can even be put into the same sentence, let alone back to back.

6. Because its a pet peeve of mine, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "CLASS A" NETWORK ANYMORE! IP classes were deprecated in RFC1519 in 1993. Nobody in the industry calls them anything other than a /8 or /22 or /29 now days.

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Alrighty then.. Glad you caught up.

However, IPV6 has a lot more to offer. 'Running out of IPs' is just an easy way to convince people/sheep/management.
    You're correct, IPv6 has a lot more to offer, but the IPv4 shortage is more real today than when IPv6 was dreamt up in the early 90s.

Thank you and have a good day.

/ancker
    So THAT'S why my I could not longer access the Yahoo IMAP server as of about 2:30am last night!

I can log in to Yahoo IMAP as long as my I'm on AT&T, and initiated my data connection on EDGE (it doesn't work if I'm on UMTS when my data connection starts.)

Any other place (broadband, or on UMTS) the IMAP server rejects my login. But if I start on EDGE, it accepts it. I knew they were using the IP address to permit connections.

I assumed they were doing this to allow the iPhone (thus the EDGE only) but prevent others from using it on broadband or 3G.

I guess they'll have to fix it before Friday for the iPhone. But all day today I couldn't get in to imap.mail.yahoo.com, and I had been able to for the last few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott View Post
    Anybody here noticed that the IP addresses changed overnight ?
    They used to all be on a 166.x range and now they are on a 32.148 range!!

In fact, looking at the block - they own all of 32.x.x.x !!
    IPs have been in the 32.148.x.x to 32.151.x.x. DSLreports says "DNS: davita.com." Iiiiiinteresting.
    Last edited by taylorh; 06/28/2007 at 01:01 AM.
    Ancker, you crack me up....

I think you know what he means by "bogon proxying" -- hiding private 10/8 or 192.168.xxx.xxx behind a firewall proxy. true it's not a phrase you hear around any water coolers -- sorry showing my age, I should say espresso stands.

reminds me of all my colleagues when they were screaming about AOL signing up everyone with email and how it was dragging the net down.

I guess I'm still old enough in the business to call them class A's -- as in remembering requesting a class B and getting it without having to justify it for a company I used to work for -- too bad I didn't keep that Cisco stock back then. Must admit it's been awhile since I was playing with ACL's though...

cheers
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    whoops forgot to take my pills

Well, I am still seeing a 166 address using the "internet" APN on EDGE. Perhaps they're still in the process of making a change. But then my phone still says "Cingular" for the service, too.
  11.    #11  
    Yeah- I had changed the access addresses allowed on some of our servers and had to change them back!

AT&T . . . . The 8000 lb gorilla
    Yep...looks like they've added more IPs to handle an increase in data connections from iPhone users and others.

These appear to be the IP ranges AT&T is now using for wireless data connections, at least from this area:

166.128.0.0/9
    32.128.0.0/11
    32.160.0.0/12

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    is that just with the wap apn or the isp apn as well? If the iPhone was the driver, I suspect it's just wap.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    is that just with the wap apn or the isp apn as well? If the iPhone was the driver, I suspect it's just wap.
    Connections to my mail server while on wap show up with both 166. and 32. addresses, while on isp they only show up as 166. addresses.

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune