1.    #1  
    I'm have a problem with the voice sounds using the Garmin GPS10 software on my 680.

The software worked really well on my 650, but I can not get the voice files to work on a 680. Whenever a voice command sounds it comes out as a crackle.

I did try upgrading to the all new Garmin XT Mobile 10, but find that it crashes and generally takes quite an overhead on the system, whereas the GPS10 software is very low overhead.

I originally tried the GPS10 on my first 680, but then upgraded to the XT Mobile version.

Since then I've had to swap my Treo unit due to a camera problem, so this sound problem is not due to a problem with just my 680.

I have tried running in safe mode, ie while in a warm reset mode, but this does not help. So it does not look like a software clash with somthing else running in the background.

Anyone else seen this problem
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Both GPS10 software and Mobile XT works fine on my 650 and 680 (unlocked) and with the 680, the loading Mobile XT takes a few seconds but once inside works well. Voice clear and much louder than 650.

Try loading the latest Mobile XT recently released from garmin website. I use the SD card setup. The latest software solves the jumpy voice issue.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abid View Post
    Both GPS10 software and Mobile XT works fine on my 650 and 680 (unlocked) and with the 680, the loading Mobile XT takes a few seconds but once inside works well. Voice clear and much louder than 650.

Try loading the latest Mobile XT recently released from garmin website. I use the SD card setup. The latest software solves the jumpy voice issue.
    Thanks for the 680 feedback with GPS10, I will try a hard reset and then install GPS10 only, and see if that helps. If so it would therefore be a software conflict.

I've also seen a good review of the latest beta, so I might give that another go.

Cheers
    Thought of the day :
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abid View Post
    Both GPS10 software and Mobile XT works fine on my 650 and 680 (unlocked)
    Well I did a hard reset on my unlocked 680 and reloaded GPS10.

It still jumps and crackles the speech, so I'm puzzled that it works OK on your 680, perhaps there is another conflict somewhere?
    Thought of the day :
    How does this garmin software compare with tomtom navigator? I'd really like to get something other than TomTom because of the hassles they give you every time you change phones and need new activation numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Well I did a hard reset on my unlocked 680 and reloaded GPS10.

It still jumps and crackles the speech, so I'm puzzled that it works OK on your 680, perhaps there is another conflict somewhere?
    You could try another SD card or turning the radio (phone) part off. I have no problem with my 680.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by anonyME View Post
    You could try another SD card or turning the radio (phone) part off. I have no problem with my 680.
    Thanks, I just tried both but they make no difference.

BTW the sound files are stored in RAM memory not the SD card, but I tried it without the card which meant there were no maps to view and the sound was still bad.
    Thought of the day :
  8.    #8  
    Another factor with the 680 to throw in is:

GoTreo software, of VolumeCare fame, have recently released a new product called RingCare, which allows mp3's to be used as ring tones.

They have had to produce a small patch file for the 680 as it does not replay their modified mp3 files correctly.

It seems the 680 is slightly different from all other Treo's
    Thought of the day :
    Another factor with the 680 to throw in is:

GoTreo software, of VolumeCare fame, have recently released a new product called RingCare, which allows mp3's to be used as ring tones.

They have had to produce a small patch file for the 680 as it does not replay their modified mp3 files correctly.

It seems the 680 is slightly different from all other Treo's
    My version of Garmin Mobile XT software is now 4.00.62p It is a beta but works well. The latest non beta version is 4.00.60p Are you up to date?
  10.    #10  
    My version of Garmin Mobile XT software is now 4.00.62p It is a beta but works well. The latest non beta version is 4.00.60p Are you up to date?
    No I'm not up to date.

In my first post I said I was having a problem with the old GPS10 Que software.

Yes the new Mobile XT is very nice with it's 3D views etc, but if you try the old Que software you will be very surprised how very good, simple and quick it is compared with Mobile XT

If it was not for the sound problems I was having, I would say it is the best GPS app for the Treo IMHO
    Last edited by ChasT; 07/23/2007 at 05:03 AM.
    Thought of the day :
    No I'm not up to date.

In my first post I said I was having a problem with the old GPS10 Que software.

Yes the new Mobile XT is very nice with it's 3D views etc, but if you try the old Que software you will be very surprised how very good, simple and quick it is compared with Mobile XT

If it was not for the sound problems I was having, I would say it is the best GPS app for the Treo IMHO
    OK. I read your first post after I post this last post. I would like to try the Que. Can it read the Mobile XT map?

Anyway, your 680 has so much more memory than the 650 so you might as well give in and go with bloated software they give us. It's very slow to load but quite stable and the voice is very clear.
  12.    #12  
    OK. I read your first post after I post this last post. I would like to try the Que. Can it read the Mobile XT map?

Anyway, your 680 has so much more memory than the 650 so you might as well give in and go with bloated software they give us. It's very slow to load but quite stable and the voice is very clear.
    I'm not sure about the backwards compatibility.
    See this post for a rough grid on what works:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/attac...0&d=1170489114

You might like to read this thread for more info, if you haven't found it already:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=130560

The above picture comes from Page10 of that thread.

Yes, I agree that the Mobile10 does work well on the 680, with it's extra memory, but I prefer the quick and simple side of the older Que GPS10 version.

In fact on my bike I currently use my old 650 loaded with Que GPS10.

I'm looking to upgrade to a Zumo 550, perhaps shortly.
    Thought of the day :