1.    #1  
    I'm thinking about upgrading my 650 to a 755p. I was wondering what are users' experiences when putting PDF files on the phone? Is the entire page viewable including charts, graphs, pictures, etc...? What about searchable PDF files with bookmarks?

Thanks,
    Micah
    The Radio Classics program guide for XM is a PDF. The included PDF reader works pretty well for viewing. It's pretty slow for rendering, however. So, if your PDF is pretty complex, you'll need to wait a while.

Tom
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know if things like text search and bookmarks work?

Thanks,
    Micah
    Palm PDF (http://www.metaviewsoft.de/en/Softwa...PDF/index.html) is an excellent application that beats the heck out of the Adobe application.

Also, Documents to Go (www.dataviz.com) does a good job.

Ben
    Rendering is slooow, and Docs to Go's version (of all their products) has a habit of crashing often on open. PalmPDF is freeware and seems superior. There was a program called Repligo that required preparation on a desktop before transfer, but did an amazing job of allowing PDFs (and other docs) to be viewed in a very friendly way.

As for Adobe's Palm reader - forget it. It's an absolutely terrible application, they should be embarrased to have released such garbage and continue to promote it in it's present state. Of all companies - Adobe should have the talent and capital to create a decent PDF reader for the Palm OS. It's so bad I see it as negative advertising against their own expensive product line - it should be fixed or killed off.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    My experience with PalmPDF has been less good than the included Docs to Go, but I rarely look at a PDF on the Treo because of the small screen.

The Adobe product does surprising well when I tested it with complex user manuals from my former job. The bad thing there, though, is that it's a two-step operation. The PDF files are actually converted to a format that renders better on the Treo using the Adobe application for Palm. If you don't mind the two-step process, that might be a good choice for you.

Of the three applications mentioned, I think the Docs to Go converter best renders a file as it actually appears on a PC screen, with the attendant issues that may cause, and the Adobe application best renders a file in a useable form on the Treo, but requires conversion and hotsync.

Tom
    Joad, I have never had a crash with DTG opening up a file and I do use it to open PDF files a couple of times a week. I did have a problem when I up'd to V9 crashing, but that turned out to be a card problem that once taken are of has not reoccurred and that was six or so months ago.

I found the Adobe application to be erratic and did not render it as well as Palm PDF. I tied it again two weeks ago and deleted it afterwards - no better than when I used it for a short period on the 650.

I have WordPerfect on my laptop and occasionally use it to create PDF files for my Treo.

Ben