Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone try the Opera 4 beta for Palm?
    http://mini.opera.com/global/opera-m...anced-beta.prc
    Yeah, I think it's pretty cool! Try this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=145877
    It looks great but it locks up my 700p within 5 minutes of loading it each time I use it.
    I'll try it when they release a non-java version. I'm not installing 3 megs of extra crap just to run a browser.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    SAme here - locks me up everytime - solid.
    Charliec
    Quote Originally Posted by charliec View Post
    SAme here - locks me up everytime - solid.
    Ditto. Crap.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    I've never had any version of opera mini work with that crappy old Java for PalmOS without locking up. But the same exact Java executables work fine on WM devices. I don't think it's Opera's fault as much as it is IBM Midlet Java. I wish they'd update and fix Java for the Palm OS Treos.
    But opera 4 isn't perfect. It does quit out (crash) of Java eventually on the Treo 750, but it takes a while.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I thought the beta was a step in the wrong direction, I found it extremely difficult one handed and it didn't feel good on the go. I'll stick with blazer for now...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I like the zooming and the virtual mouse.
    I'd actually like to try it but I can't get java to install :/
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I thought the beta was a step in the wrong direction, I found it extremely difficult one handed and it didn't feel good on the go. I'll stick with blazer for now...
    You can still use it the old way (fit to width) and it's still the same 1 handed experience as Mini 3 (right/left scrolls.)

I switch between the modes (#1 key) so I can use the zoom method on zome sites, while using the fit-to-width method on (most) others.

I just like the full mode because sometimes the re-formatted page make it hard to find things and navigate properly. The full zoom in/out method lets you see the page in it's orig. layout when needed.
    Those of you who have tried beta 4 of Opera Mini, did you set the Java cache size correctly as you should for v3 of Opera Mini? You need to increase it for v3.

If you have not made the change, it may help explain the lock up. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Those of you who have tried beta 4 of Opera Mini, did you set the Java cache size correctly as you should for v3 of Opera Mini? You need to increase it for v3.

If you have not made the change, it may help explain the lock up. Just a thought.
    Where is this explained? I don't see any references to setting Java cache size for Opera mini, either version 3 or the new beta.
    it was discussed in a thread here when v3 came out--do a search for opera mini. I will have to try this and give v4 another go, i'll report my findings later.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raul View Post
    Where is this explained? I don't see any references to setting Java cache size for Opera mini, either version 3 or the new beta.
    I had read somewhere else this too:

if u already has opera mini 3.0, u know u need to change the java settings in treo, (increase stack size to 32kb, cache to 1MB), otherwise, opera mini will crash every time u use it.
    If I had any idea how to do this, I might give it a whirl.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Never mind, find it under prefs.
    I had problems with v3 until I followed the recommended Java settings changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ajg23 View Post
    Talking FINALLY got opera mini to stop crashing on my 700p
    On my Treo 700p, I was still getting crashes all around EVEN WITH changes in the IBM Java VM preferences...

UNTIL I uninstalled Java thoroughly and reinstalled it.

1) from within IBM Java launcher, deleted Opera
    2) deleted IBM Java: in the main Palm launcher delete everything starting with Java or J9
    3) deleted leftover files: I used Filez* to delete leftover files starting with J9 or java
    4) reinstalled Java: copied the two IBM Java VM installation files in again
    5) set Java prefs: went to the Palm "Prefs" application, and scrolled to the bottom to "IBM Java VM"...then set
    - checked "use double buffering", "use high resolution coord"
    - set memory max to 4MB (some say 1MB is enough or even better)
    - set stack to 32K (essential)
    6) reinstalled Opera from mini.opera.com

FINALLY no crashes! Hopes this helps people who are still getting crashes!

* you can use any file manager...you can get Filez from http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=1&prodID=9992
    Tried it the day it was out, and deleted it about 5 min after since I couldn't get it to work. Not only that, there is still no cut, copy, paste function, and of course I was told that was the fault of IBM and was told that in v3 too.

Opera just isn't designed for the Treo user.
    Opera v3 is worlds beyond Blazer but v4 is just buggy. I have tried every combo in the java prefs, it just doesn't work yet.
    I have a question i actually got it to work pretty well not to much crashing but how do you make symbols i.e. underscore. everytime i press the alt button it makes a questionmark
    If at first you dont succeed skydiving is not for you
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast