Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I just got back from a road trip from Denver to Wisconsin and back. I took a break from cussin' at TT6 and fired up the Sling Player on my 755p. I had just bought a Slingbox AV for my Tivo back at home.

So there we are watching (and controlling) our Tivo in Denver while we're driving through the middle of Iowa. Incredible picture. To the kids it was just another episode of Sponge Bob, to me it was a beautiful moment of technological convergence. EVDO really makes the 755p something special.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Cool...
    ...my Slingbox Classic (woot!) is on the way and the 755p awaits its new friend!
    Place witty signature here:
    When is someone going to invent a car radio with a slot for a data card so we can Sling in a car instead of having to drag around vhs or dvds everywhere we go?
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ View Post
    When is someone going to invent a car radio with a slot for a data card so we can Sling in a car instead of having to drag around vhs or dvds everywhere we go?
    That's all someone needs...a TV to look at while they're driving. I don't think anyting could be more dangerous.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I had slingbox access in my truck for a month on a 10.4" screen in the dash.

It was cool, but not worth the $200 for me, so I took it back.
    Ok. I don't own slingbox. I made the mistake of purchasing LocationFree from Sony which is only compatible with my laptop. But, what's the value of slingbox when orb is free? Can you give me your experience on both. I own Kinoma and watch all of my TV shows and recorded through it on my Treo700p. If I connect my laptop to my Treo, I simply watch TV on a larger screen.
    With Kinoma, there's occasional re-buffering during the show, does that happen with slingbox and how hard is it to set-up?
    My slingbox "moment" was yesterday. Our family had to leave the house, and my daughter is a tennis addict. She was able to watch Wimbledon live on my treo as we drove off! She was ecstatic!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Ok. I don't own slingbox. I made the mistake of purchasing LocationFree from Sony which is only compatible with my laptop. But, what's the value of slingbox when orb is free? Can you give me your experience on both. I own Kinoma and watch all of my TV shows and recorded through it on my Treo700p. If I connect my laptop to my Treo, I simply watch TV on a larger screen.
    With Kinoma, there's occasional re-buffering during the show, does that happen with slingbox and how hard is it to set-up?
    no real benefit over orb, except a better gui... Alot of people arent comfortable installing tuner cards so sling offers them a plug & play solution
    HTC Touch Pro
    This forum could really get expensive to a person

Streaming to my backseat player for the kids.... oh that would be the life (and involve more than my $13 a month basic cable comcast!).
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    I tried Orb. Picture wasn't as good and my card was picky...sometimes I'd come home and find the tuner still on on the computer with the volume pegged. I had lots of freeze ups as well.

I guess if your tuner card works fine than the basic Slingbox Tuner should be fine compared to Orb.

I picked up the Slingbox Pro over the holiday on a great sale and I love it. Installation was simple and everything worked fine on the first shot. I used the Actiontec ethernet adaptors that work through your home power lines rather than deal with a wireless connection. They work great!!!

With the Pro, I can use the straight tv tuner in case someone at home is using my tivo or cable box. I can also access and watch stored programs on my TiVo. And since I can completely control the cable box (which I use to record HD programming), I can access those shows as well as purchase and watch Pay Per Views.

Great device!!!
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I watched Planet Earth while at my daughter's gymnastics practice on Saturday. Great picture and even watching for an hour, the battery was only down to about 75%.

The only thing that makes Slingbox better than the Palm client is having it hooked up to a Tivo box so you can watch all your stuff at any time (and place).
    I wonder, is there a way to export the pic from my Treo to a mobile DVD player that has a/v ins?
    im slinging on my treo 755p and loving it...
    I don't have a Tivo and the only thing I ever record on is my Media Center PC which is what orb links to. Do people with slingbox also experience the re-buffering? I was at work today and logged onto orb during my lunch hour to show some people. They thought it was cool and asked if it was the new iPhone. No-way am I paying $600 for a phone. I'll use this Treo unit it dies.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    to do slingbox in your car (not treo specific)

get laptop - most already have this.
    get EV-DO card for said laptop
    get VGA/analog monitor(s)

connect monitor(s) to laptop's output and there you go.

or get shady and tether your laptop to a treo and run slingbox from the laptop.

too bad the treo doesn't have a video output.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Wow, I've never heard of this. Guess I better start paying attention! So what do I need to get and where do I get it, to "sling" on my 755P?

Thanks in advance,
    Orb is too finicky. My computer does alot of updates and scans while I'm away from home. Orb doesn't always 'pick up where it left off' so to speak. Slingbox on the other hand has never failed me. It's great on vacation, stuck at DMV/Hosp/Drs offices, about anytime you have downtime and need a diversion. Also, I finally feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of Comcast.
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    PalmFive:

You just need a Slingbox (an actual box) to connect to whatever box (cable, satellite, etc) you use to get your tv.

The Slingbox takes the output from your cable box, compresses it, and sends it out over the network. The Slingbox also has IR stickies so it can transmit remote signals to your cable box, etc.

Then all you need to view your home tv content is a client program. The client can run on any networked PC, Mac, Windows Mobile Device and (now) Treo 700p or 755p.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    My slingbox "moment" was yesterday. Our family had to leave the house, and my daughter is a tennis addict. She was able to watch Wimbledon live on my treo as we drove off! She was ecstatic!
    I hope it wasn't the final. Watching that would've surely drained the batt-ree!!
    Another "Moment"...

I just got a pair of portable powered speakers for use with my PSP not even thinking about the fact that I could use them with my Treo and Slingbox as well. What a difference it makes compared to using the Treo Speaker. When the sound is that much better, the screen suddently doesn't seem so small.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast