Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 100
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    It is definately only when dbCache is low on available memory that Blazer launch takes 20-30 seconds. Question is, does that still happen with this change? I'm trying to determine that right now. The delayed launch of Blazer while clearing dbCache does still occur, although it seemed more like 10-15 seconds vs. 20-30.
    Mine can take over a minute to launch sometimes. The MR didn't change that, nor did the read-only trick that is the subject of this thread. This delay drives me CRAZY! I'd love to get rid of the startup delay...

    Marc
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    What part of 'read-only' don't people understand? It prevents Blazer from writing any and all updates to permament memory.
    This thread has certainly gotten people a bit riled up.
    I understand perfectly what "readonly" means to a folder. That same setting doesn't necessarily propogate to the child objects of the folder. I was simply stating that in this case, it does (in case someone was wondering).
    Last edited by NachoB; 06/28/2007 at 06:20 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  3. fridayy's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
       #63  
    Not really sure why everyone is getting so worked up.... all I wanted to share is a trick that works for me...As far as DBCache, I use OffFlush2.0 and is set to clear on Power Off...so my DBCache is cleared very frequently... some people have complained about this program.. so I wont post it.. My feeling is, if you have a problem with DBCache on your Treo.. find a utility to help you out...I am not a programmer..So I cant get into the particulars about "what happens when I do this"...
    I am just another "Treo Power User" that has found a little trick that is working for me... cant we all just get along...

    Fridayy
  4. #64  
    On a lighter note, since clearing my bloated History database I have not experienced any delays in launching Blazer (with readonly disabled on the Blazer folder).
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    On a lighter note, since clearing my bloated History database I have not experienced any delays in launching Blazer (with readonly disabled on the Blazer folder).
    this also help some with my delays.
    BTW: it had never been cleared (1 yr)
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    BTW: it had never been cleared (1 yr)
    Haha, mine was 10 months worth.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayy View Post
    Not really sure why everyone is getting so worked up.... all I wanted to share is a trick that works for me...As far as DBCache, I use OffFlush2.0 and is set to clear on Power Off...so my DBCache is cleared very frequently... some people have complained about this program.. so I wont post it.. My feeling is, if you have a problem with DBCache on your Treo.. find a utility to help you out...I am not a programmer..So I cant get into the particulars about "what happens when I do this"...
    I am just another "Treo Power User" that has found a little trick that is working for me... cant we all just get along...

    Fridayy
    I don't think this is necessary on the 680, but I'm curious... Is OffFlush stable for you? I've heard some bad things about it in the past, perhaps older versions.

    And what happens if the Treo turns off and you want to use it immediately, such as the autooff hits, or you turn it off by accident? Does it take 15-20s to turn back on? I know when I clear dbcache, it can take at least 15-20s, Reset Doctor can take up to 45s I've found.
  8. fridayy's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
       #68  
    I use OffFlush2.0 which is the new version of the program... I have it set to flush DBCache when I hit the Off button, if you want to flush it while the Treo is ON just open the program and select the "Flush Now" button.. The progam is rock solid stable on my 755P.. I have had 0 issues with it..I personally love it!! with the settings I have it on, it takes about 3 secs to flush..of course if I run alot of programs during one particular time.. it might take 6 secs...but I have found this time lag is not bothersom by any means..
    I have purchased Reset Doctor and its a great program.. but I have found this works best for me.. here it is...
    Attached Files Attached Files
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I don't think this is necessary on the 680, but I'm curious... Is OffFlush stable for you? I've heard some bad things about it in the past, perhaps older versions.

    And what happens if the Treo turns off and you want to use it immediately, such as the autooff hits, or you turn it off by accident? Does it take 15-20s to turn back on? I know when I clear dbcache, it can take at least 15-20s, Reset Doctor can take up to 45s I've found.
    I would imagine that the first flush may take that long. But, on an on-going basis, if you're flushing at every power off, the cache wouldn't have time to get so large as to require a lot of time to clear.

    I'm going to check out the app to see what type results I get.
  10. #70  
    Testing now. It seems I was wrong about less cached data requiring less time.

    However, the app is customizable. You can set threshholds for when to fluch based on the percentage of cache used. There is also an option to flush only if the power button is used.

    Then there is a "fast" checkbox which cause the flush to happen in 2 seconds. I'm not sure what occurs differently in "fast" mode versus regular.
  11. #71  
    Just a note for anyone else trying OffFlush. On my 700p it took 1:15 to go from 7.6M free to 16.1M using the default settings (Fast mode not checked). It seems to be triggered by the step-down in screen brightness and with 100% (always on) and "only on power button" not checked, started a second flush while I was looking at it (since my screen dim step kicks in after 1 minute). I can imagine that if it's still flushing when the screen turns off, the Treo might act dead.

    Didn't notice a Blazer start lag before or after, but Blazer may have already been in cache. I like the concept of this app and will try it with the 50% setting for awhile to see if it helps.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  12. fridayy's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
       #72  
    Ok guys... very important... make sure you have the Fast option checked...
    otherwise it will be slow...using the Fast option is the ONLY way to go!!

    Fridayy
  13. #73  
    Interesting thread.

    I understand the delay frustrations, but life is a tradeoff. Palm made the Blazer default cache size larger, so you're going to have to deal with that sooner or later, depending on how often you browse.

    My solution was to change the cache in Blazer to 1MB instead of 4MB, and not clear it on exit. That worked the best for me and doesn't require any third-party programs doing things I'm not sure of.

    Might be worth a try for some of you.

    Tom
  14. #74  
    Not sure, but suspect Fast mode is roughly equivalent to MemInfo's MemFill option. Both run in about 5 seconds for me, but it's too early for me to tell if Fast mode clears as much as "slow" mode or not.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  15. fridayy's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
       #75  
    My understanding of this new version of OffFlush2.0 by Pruss..is that is the same version or stand alone version of the Flush option that is inergrated with Resco Explorer...with the the FAST option selected.. its identical to the one in Eplorer.. I read this at 1src.com

    Fridayy
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by mfield View Post
    Mine can take over a minute to launch sometimes. The MR didn't change that, nor did the read-only trick that is the subject of this thread. This delay drives me CRAZY! I'd love to get rid of the startup delay...

    Marc
    YMMV but I cleared the cookies and that significantly reduced my startup time.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayy View Post
    I use OffFlush2.0 which is the new version of the program... I have it set to flush DBCache when I hit the Off button, if you want to flush it while the Treo is ON just open the program and select the "Flush Now" button.. The progam is rock solid stable on my 755P.. I have had 0 issues with it..I personally love it!! with the settings I have it on, it takes about 3 secs to flush..of course if I run alot of programs during one particular time.. it might take 6 secs...but I have found this time lag is not bothersom by any means..
    I have purchased Reset Doctor and its a great program.. but I have found this works best for me.. here it is...
    Do you mind detailing your exact settings? I haven't looked yet, perhaps it's simple, but most of the dbcache programs I've seen have a lot of weird options.

    EDIT: Nevermind, it's pretty simple. And really slow.. Took 41s to flush on my 680, fast mode is checked. Clicked "Flush now". But it's been 2-3 days since I've done a reset, so it's possible it was pretty ugly. Again, I really think this is probably not necessary on anything beyond the 650, as the 680 (and 7xx Palms too?) have LOTS of dbcache) but I'll see what happens.
    Last edited by khaytsus; 06/28/2007 at 04:33 PM.
  18. fridayy's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
       #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Do you mind detailing your exact settings? I haven't looked yet, perhaps it's simple, but most of the dbcache programs I've seen have a lot of weird options.

    EDIT: Nevermind, it's pretty simple. And really slow.. Took 41s to flush on my 680, fast mode is checked. Clicked "Flush now". But it's been 2-3 days since I've done a reset, so it's possible it was pretty ugly. Again, I really think this is probably not necessary on anything beyond the 650, as the 680 (and 7xx Palms too?) have LOTS of dbcache) but I'll see what happens.
    See what the time is now that you have intiatly cleared the cache... make sure you have the FAST mode CHECKED...my settings are to clear on POWER OFF.. so it clears every time I hit the POWER Button... hope this helps..

    Fridayy
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayy View Post
    See what the time is now that you have intiatly cleared the cache... make sure you have the FAST mode CHECKED...my settings are to clear on POWER OFF.. so it clears every time I hit the POWER Button... hope this helps..

    Fridayy
    67% took 17s. No thanks. Heh.
  20. #80  
    23s for me at 53% free immediately after a soft reset with fast mode on. I'm going to keep it for awhile to see if it helpful in reducing any app start lag. TomTom should be a good test since it's one of the biggest apps I have now that GoodLink is gone.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions