1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 650 and we are about to switch over to a Microsoft Exchange Server. Presently I sync all my calendar/task/memo/contact information to Palm Desktop. I do not use Outlook for syncing. My email comes through Versamail right now. My question is how can I maintain using Palm Desktop for those above mentioned items and still get my email through the Exchange server? I do not want my Treo contacts/calendar etc to sync to Outlook from Palm Desktop. I prefer to have them on the Palm Desktop (my local computer) and not floating out there on Outlook and the Exchange Server. Any help is appreciated.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Well this is a little touchy on the versamail side. Versamail will allow you to tell it to sync only the email via the exchange server with out syncing the calendar and contacts; however you can't do push. You will have to change it to sync every 5 minutes or something like that. It does it in the background so you shouldn't have any problems. Then you can continue to use the other items with the Palm Desktop. Once you have the exchange setup in versamail go to Options, Preferences or just click the drop down window and push R on your hand held. Then go to Auto sync and change the settings.

Also you can try using Chatteremail. It syncs very well with exchange 2003 in a push setting and then you won't have to do any tweaking to versamail.

Lastly, may I ask. Why don't you use Outlook? I think it is far superior than Palm Desktop.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info. I do not have to continue using Versamail--any other alternatives would work for me. Its just what I presently have on my phone. I think with all the data and events (probably close to 20,000 reminders dated thru the future) and the secure info I keep on the phone, my exchange worry would be something goes wrong and my data is visible to all. Is this worry unnecessary? I appreciate your input. As for Chatteremail, I have used it in the past with decent luck but never with an Exchange Server. Does it set up pretty easily? Thanks for the help.
  4.    #4  
    Let me throw one more item your way to see if you can advise me. Upon setting up Versamail and the Exchange Server, my test is successful. But right after I click done, it brings up a page that says "This account syncs email and calendar. To prevent duplicates, info in your device will be deleted. It will be replaced with Exchange Server info when you tap the syn button in Versamail. Do you want to continue?" Going back to what you said earlier, how can I finish this process and do what you wrote without losing my info? "Once you have the exchange setup in versamail go to Options, Preferences or just click the drop down window and push R on your hand held. Then go to Auto sync and change the settings."Thanks again
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Wow I am glad you posted. Your handheld info will be deleted since it will sync all your calendar info with exchange sync. It doesn't matter what you tell it; though I would tell it no just to be safe. Because even if it erases it all, nothing will be on your exchange server since you have never used it before. You use Palm Desktop. So you can just resync it back if things get erased anyways. Once you go up to preferences and click Auto Sync uncheck the boxes calendar and contacts.

Also, one last thing. Have you installed the Palm Update for Exchange Sync for the treo 650. It is found on the Palm Website, and that may help as well.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks so much for all the excellent info! And away I go!
  7.    #7  
    Well, here's an interesting twist to the day. I downloaded Palm update for Exchange Sync and that in turn said I needed Versamail 3.5 in order for it to work. Downloaded them both--went to set up versamail and "exchange Server" no longer appears in the list of mail service in the drop down. It also doesn't appear in the next drop down of Protocol. All that appears there is POP and IMAP. It was there with Versamail 3.1 but no longer appears in 3.5. I may re- download Versamail 3.5 just to be sure.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deanandbek View Post
    Well, here's an interesting twist to the day. I downloaded Palm update for Exchange Sync and that in turn said I needed Versamail 3.5 in order for it to work. Downloaded them both--went to set up versamail and "exchange Server" no longer appears in the list of mail service in the drop down. It also doesn't appear in the next drop down of Protocol. All that appears there is POP and IMAP. It was there with Versamail 3.1 but no longer appears in 3.5. I may re- download Versamail 3.5 just to be sure.
    I think you choose IMAP and then it asks if it is an Exchange Server