Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Hi...I upgraded my Treo 600 on Sprint to the 755p.
    I had the old vision plan and when I upgraded contract, I got the EVDO upgrade. It could not be applied to the account until I had the new phone in my hand since they could not activate it while the 600 was active.

I called CS and she activated it. I live and work in the NYC area, so EVDO should be in play. Over the last week or so of extensive playing, I rarely see the blue triangles when in phone mode. When I search the web, I have yet to see blue arrows, only the green ones. The web speeds don't seem to be so much faster than my old Treo 600. I have been getting full signal strength at work and at home.

I tried some streaming video and about 1/2 the time I get timeout errors when trying to load pages in the built in Kimono viewer. Just for the heck of it, I tried the higher speed options for the Yahoo Radio channels on the Treo (128K I believe) but it saws that I cannot support that bandwidth.

Am I missing something here? Is there something I should be checking or is EVDO, even in/around NYC that spotty?

Incidentally, my other phone (my wife's) is a Samsung M510. She did not want the high-speed stuff or streaming anything, yet I did play with it and the EVDO triangles do show up on hers from time to time. If I am not paying for EVDO, would it detect/show EVDO capabilities even if the high speed upgrade isn't being used?

Any insights would be appreciated!

Be well,
    Rob - Long Beach, NY
    Place witty signature here:
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Yes it would detect a EVDO signal even if your account isn't provisioned to use EVDO.

EVDO is for data-only, while 1xRTT is voice+data. You need 1x to make a call, but either 1x or EVDO for data....with EVDO being faster. If the EV icon isn't staying on you have spotty coverage, but I would be surprised if thats the case since your in NYC.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Mallow,

Go to the main Sprint WEB page: http://www.sprint.com/index_c.html
    and click on the "Coverage" tab. There you can put in the ZIP code for the Sprint area you are interested in. It will give you a detailed map that you can zoom in and out to see what coverage you can expect.

There is also a check box to also show you the Broadband coverage (EVDO).

This should be a good place to start to see the coverage you can get.

Rich
    You can also go to www.dslreports.com and use their speed test to see what kind of speed you're getting and where. I never see the EVDO arrows while browsing via blazer. They only show up in the phone screen.
    Ed
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    My area is completely covered with EVDO Rev. A
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I did the 1MB speed test...several times and I'm getting between 77 and 81 kbits/second, with about 107 seconds to download the 1MB file and over a second of latency.

I am in coverage areas...Sprint did some checking while I waited. Now I have a "ticket" and they are supposed to be running some tests on the towers/check the software. My experiences were not limited to just one site though.

Maybe its my phone. I shall let you know what happens.

Thanks, Rob
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    My best speeds yet on the 1MB test:
    118 kbit/sec
    1.338s latency
    70.434s d/l time
    What are typical real life EVDO speeds? I searched and was surprised not to find an answer. I get in the 100's-200's in the middle of Manhattan, on the street, and I don't see the green arrows. I ran the DSLReports test at 600k and it took on the order of 30 sec. I ran across someone on the web who said he did the same test at 9 sec. Is something wrong? If so, can you suggest what the problem might be? Any tips would be appreciated.
    dslreports (600K) here in the bay area are about 300 to 500 kbps. ~8 sec d/l times. FYI.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I finally got a Sprint CS that really took the time ot figure things out. She had me go through a reset sequence and had Sprint wirelessly update by 755p all over again. After that, I finally got my EVDO speeds!
    I'm trying on a Friday night in Brooklyn, New York when I should be out partying.

For 600k,
    I'm getting 220 kbit/sec
    0.481s latency
    22.122s d/l time.

from dslreports but I'm going to try through out the weekend and see if Manhattan or Bronx is any better. Forget Staten Island, I remember a few years back they had the worst coverage for Sprint. I could be on a call and nod my head or look left or right and the call would drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykik View Post
    I finally got a Sprint CS that really took the time ot figure things out. She had me go through a reset sequence and had Sprint wirelessly update by 755p all over again. After that, I finally got my EVDO speeds!
    Psykik, might you share the sequence that you traversed to obtain better EVDO performance?
    I did the 1mb test on my 755p and my speed was too fast to get back a test result.

I'm not running blazer btw. Blazer sucks.

Wait.. wait I ran it again and I got a result.

1320 kbit/sec
    0.301s latency
    6.503 d/l time.

EVDO FTW.

BTW I'm running Opera 4 beta as my browser.
    dr. bob,

fyi, the speed tests don't work for opera because it uses proxy servers. do a search for more info.

Lou
    Psykik, what speeds do you get now?

I tried Opera, and got the same results, but it didn't make sense. First, a browser might be slow to render, but not to receive data, second, I know other things don't load that fast, and finally, that result is twice as fast as the theoretical high speed of EVDO rev. 0.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    what did they do to get your speeds up? the only time i get the blue arrows they page never loads, then the arrows turn green and then i can get through and my page loads.

also when i do get the blue arrows, alot of times there is a popup message that says "the page could not be loaded".

i need to call sprint again to get this fixed. i am in a evdo area and am paying for something that i am not getting..
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    ran the test

again... blue arrows popped up, blazer seemed stuck, arrows turn green, then the test started.

1MB test
    72kbit/sec
    1.755 latency
    114.556 d/l
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    If you are getting 72kbit/sec like I did, then you do not have EVDO enabled.

I guess that what happened to me (just a guess), is that I activated my 755p before the CS activated the EVDO options for me. See, I had a Treo 600, and when I upgraded my phone and plan, the CS said that she could not apply the Power Vision plan because the computer would see me as having a Treo 600 active and it is not compatible.

I am assuming that when I got the 755p and set it up, that Sprint wirelessly set it up for non-EVDO service. Then, when I called CS and they turned on Power Vision, I had the access to the services, but the phone was programmed for non-EVDO speeds.

I called several times, and even got a ticket (which was placed on July 3rd with a promise of a call back within 36 hours- they called back this AM on July 9th.)

The last CS had me go through a sequence on the Treo 755p in which I basically wiped out the Sprint programming (but keeps all other stuff intact). She then had me go through a sequence of initializing the phone again...and this time, it got the proper EVDO updates from Sprint- and I immediately saw triangles and arrows. My first speed test was about 250kbits/sec, so I know it was working. Since then, I do see a difference over the standard web connections.

The arrows stay blue and not gray. When I have uploads/downloads, I see the blue triangles and not the green arrows.

I just ran a test again and got:
    234 kbit/sec
    0.526s latency
    35.303 d/l time

You basically have to say that you tried the tests next to other folks who have Sprint EVDO devices and they were getting speeds of around 250 kbits/sec and that this is on regular (not PDA) phones and that you have done this several times, so you know that it is not a tower, location or congestion problem- since these are the first things they will mention.

Good luck,
    Rob
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Blazer must be a real bottleneck since i got the around 250k too but i can hit 600k when using tethered mode and test it via laptop odd??? or is it a limitation of blazer.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    finally got it set up! they had to reset the phone and then take off my data services and reupdate my phone.

i have all the codes

##774 - reset phone info
    ##3283 - update vision services.

only thing that worked was treo support tech to take off and then reinstall my vision service. this took a few times for some reason.

but, blue arrows all the time and way faster speeds!!!

i love my phone again
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast