1.    #1  
    Is it ok to replace my stock stylus to the full metal stylus replacement? Will it not affect the signal of the phone?

Tnx in advance..
    N3210 > N6210 > N7650 > N3650 > SE K700i > Treo 680 > Treo Pro...
    On the 680, I believe the reason for the non-metal stylus is because the antenna is internal. I've heard that it would affect the signal (but never tried). If you have access to one, might as well try and see if it's true.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
  3.    #3  
    I'm about to buy the replacement stylus, but first, i want to make sure if it really affects the signal before sparing a couple of box from buying the replacement one...

If theres someone out there who have tried replacing there stylus to metal one, dont hesitate to share it with me.. tnx...
    N3210 > N6210 > N7650 > N3650 > SE K700i > Treo 680 > Treo Pro...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Just a word of warning - the metal stylus from the 600 is (just!) too fat to fit in the 680, so be sure to order one that is stated to fit in the 680.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I bought a metal Styra stylus (with pen) from Boxwave a few months ago. I haven't noticed any issues. I just did a basic test with and without the stylus and found no difference. There was a strong signal and voice sounded the same both ways. It may be different in a weak signal area but someone else will have to test that.

The Styra isn't cheap, but it's solid, fits well, and having the pen is handy. I hated the original. Maybe I hold it too tightly, but I found it flexed.

Of course this is IMHO and YMMV.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by yanz011 View Post
    I'm about to buy the replacement stylus, but first, i want to make sure if it really affects the signal before sparing a couple of box from buying the replacement one...

If theres someone out there who have tried replacing there stylus to metal one, dont hesitate to share it with me.. tnx...
    I bought a new stylus-pen (from BoxWave) almost as soon as I got the 680, because a) I like to have a spare, b) moving up from a 600 I really didn't like the bendy feel of the plastic one, and c) having a hidden pen in the stylus was a cool idea . It didn't occur to me there was any issue with the radio, and I haven't noticed a problem.

I'm looking at it now, and the signal is hovering between 3 & 4 bars - taking the stylus in or out makes no discernible difference. I'm even tempted to say that it veers more towards 4 bars with the stylus-pen in, but that could be coincidence.

I suspect the real reason for the plastic stylus is that it's cheaper.

Cheers
    Rick
    Been using a pen replacement stylus for months now and I don't find any affect on the signal strength.
    This is the first thread I've seen so far that may have actually shed some light on my degraded signal issue. When I first got my 680, it had BETTER reception than my 650. I live in a rural area, where there is generally a great signal most anywhere, but the topography of the land can make the signal fluctuate widely. Anyway, when the ROM update finally was released, I applied it, and my signal strength SUFFERED. Needless to say, I was ! I had bought the SPE 3-pak pen stylii for 680 on 5/17/07 and applied the ROM update on 5/24/07. Can't say I noticed any signal degradation after starting to use the pen stylus (maybe because I didn't expect/watch/notice it), but definitely after the ATT ROM update, and ever since. Now, just after reading this thread, I decided to take the pen stylus out of the silo. The 680 was hanging where I keep it at my desk to charge/sync; a location with an EXTREMELY weak signal. Just a few seconds after I removed the pen-stylus, I gained 3-4 signal bars, and while it has gone down a little, I haven't lost the signal since! I'll take it! But now, to try the Palm pen-stylus....still strong signal. Now.....put the SPE pen-stylus back in...weaker and weaker signal until there was no bars!

So, to whomever came up with this, here's a big (priliminary) THANK YOU!
    Last edited by sportyrydr; 08/02/2007 at 02:28 PM.
    PalmOS user since 1998. Treo user since 2006. WM user since 4/1/2009.
    PalmPilot Personal > PalmPilot Pro Upgrade > PalmIII Upgrade > PalmIII > PalmIIIx > Efig PalmV8 > Visor Prism > PalmVx > m515 > Tungsten T|3 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo755p > Treo700wx > Treo800w > TreoPro
    "Riding for the Son" <><
    I dont think Palm would switch from a metal to plastic stylus to save a few cents. I think design considerations like the phone performance are more of a factor.

IMHO putting a big piece of aluminum next to an antenna cant be a good thing.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)