Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

What is the maximum SD capacity the Treo 680 can handle? How about these new SDHC cards?
    I'm considering buying a Sandisk 4GB SDHC, but I'm not sure if the Treo does support these cards. I'm also not sure if these SDHC cards are readable on my computer (WindowsXP).
    Any experiences with memory sizes, brands? Advise?
    Thanks in advance..
    I use a TopRam 8GB SDHC and it works perfectly. It's currently filled with a bunch of TV, movies, and music files
    Quote Originally Posted by apeka View Post
    Hello,

What is the maximum SD capacity the Treo 680 can handle? How about these new SDHC cards?
    I'm considering buying a Sandisk 4GB SDHC, but I'm not sure if the Treo does support these cards. I'm also not sure if these SDHC cards are readable on my computer (WindowsXP).
    Any experiences with memory sizes, brands? Advise?
    Thanks in advance..
    The 4 and 8 GB SDHC cards definitely work well natively in the Treo 680. I have a Transcend 4GB, Class 6 SDHC and it works beautifully.

To make sure you can read it on your computer, though, your PC needs to have an SDHC-compatible reader (a card reader for the SD will not work for SDHC), or you need to buy a separate SDHC-compatible reader, or install the Card Reader app on your Treo (a great little app that allows you to use the Treo itself as the card reader, and that works with both SD and SDHC cards -- which means you never have to remove the card unless you don't have everything you need stored on the one card; I almost never remove my card at all because I love Card Reader).
    Last edited by ChristieC; 06/22/2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Clarification about SD card readers.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies everybody and ChristieC for the hint on Card Reader: I love it.....!
    I'm planning to get myself a 4GB SD this summer while on vacation in the US for "cheap" dollars..
    Last edited by apeka; 06/23/2007 at 12:10 PM.
    "The question of whether computers can think is like the question of whether submarines can swim..." - Edsger Dijkstra, Dutch computer scientist, 1930-2002
    there are 16GB HDSC cards available now (v expensive). expect 32GB by year end.
  6.    #6  
    So maybe it's better to wait for the Terabyte cards..?
    Where will this ever end, if ever....?
    "The question of whether computers can think is like the question of whether submarines can swim..." - Edsger Dijkstra, Dutch computer scientist, 1930-2002
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apeka View Post
    So maybe it's better to wait for the Terabyte cards..?
    Where will this ever end, if ever....?
    Well, if you store bits at the atomic level, and you want your SD card to weigh about the same as now, somewhere about the 100ZB level, or about 13 orders of magnitude on from where we are today.

If Moore's Law (is relevant to this and...) holds, somewhere about 2050.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    A friend of mine is going to the States in a week - I'm asking for a 8GB SDHC card..Too bad she has a treo 650 or she could get one too!
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    A friend of mine is going to the States in a week - I'm asking for a 8GB SDHC card..Too bad she has a treo 650 or she could get one too!
    She can -- she just needs to do a hack to put the 680 SDHC drivers on her 650, the procedure for which has been posted here.
    Last edited by ChristieC; 07/02/2007 at 12:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I wanna pick up a 8GB SDHC Class 6 card from Newegg for $66, cheap!

Where have you seen 16GB cards though?
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    I wanna pick up a 8GB SDHC Class 6 card from Newegg for $66, cheap!

That's exactly what I got last month for about $72. It works flawlessly, except that Frankengarnet on my 680 does not compute the total memory size correctly. That's it. No other issues whatsoever after a month of heavy use in pix, vids, voice recordings, web, Word & Excel, app launching, backups etc. If you can remember that you own an 8GB card, then you'll be fine.
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Yeah I heard about that. Apparently once you go over 4GB, it will show 8GB capacity.

Thanks, I am gonna buy it by months end. My 2GB has 100MB of so left and I constantly do backups with Resco.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    She can -- she just needs to do a hack to put the 680 SDHC drivers on her 650, the procedure for which has been posted here.
    Good point! I guess I could do it for her..she's not the hacking kind! Speaking of which maybe I should just go 8 GB SDHC or bust!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    Not on general sale yet, but announced by Kingmax and Microdia the latter with an astonishing price of USD3,500 (presumably pre-production samples for developers).

Promised to be available soon though...
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    what about the speed of the card? I have a 4GB SD card which is great for storage, but it skips around on MP3s and it takes 5mins to delete a 5MB file.... Are the 8GB SDHC cards pretty speedy? Anyone done a VFS Mark on it?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by npbeers View Post
    what about the speed of the card? I have a 4GB SD card which is great for storage, but it skips around on MP3s and it takes 5mins to delete a 5MB file.... Are the 8GB SDHC cards pretty speedy? Anyone done a VFS Mark on it?
    It shouldn't. How have you got it formatted? I'd suspect either "inefficient" formatting or a faulty card.
    How fast? I made sure to get the class 6 SDHC instead of the 2 or 4. After reading reviews from digicam users who struggled with speed issues. For a few $$$ the class 6 was the fastest commonly available in SDHC.
    I also have a 40x 1GB SD and I cannot tell any difference in reads or writes. The high speed SDs are supposed to be faster than SDHCs. I have not had one hiccup while moving over music or DVD movies with the USB reader, recording Treo video, recording phone calls, taking pix. Except for 8x the real estate, I cannot tell a single difference versus my 1GB.
    Patrick Horne
    I bought a cheap 4 gb card that did not work. I would like to buy a 8 gb card, but do not want to buy a second card that sucks. When I read your post it sound like you are telling me the type of card to buy. Help a slow learner with a link to a card at a good price.

Thanks

SPG
    Are there any cards to avoid or particular ones to go for?

Thanks

K
    Here is what I KNOW works. Pre-formatted at FAT32. And a good value too ...

Brand: Transcend
    Size: 8GB
    Type: SDHC
    Class: 6
    Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208293

... others certainly will, but some have reported issues. The above works. Period.

Oh, BTW. If you do not have an SDHC compatible card reader, then you'll need one. SD readers are not "forward" compatible to the new SDHC standard, but SDHC is backward compatible and can read SD standard cards. Here is a link to the one I picked up for $5 and shipping was combined with the SDHC 8GB card for nothing. Forget using Palm's 20th century Hotsync as a means of moving large portions of data to a big card. It's horribly slow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820223077

Instructions: ...
    #1 Insert old SD card in a SDHC card reader. It's backward compatible.
    #2 Copy entire card to folder on PC desktop
    #3 Remove old SD card from reader.
    #4 Insert new Transcend 8GB SDHC into reader
    #5 Copy contents of PC desktop folder to SDHC card
    #6 Remove SDHC card and insert into Treo 680
    #7 You're done. Go live the life.
    Patrick Horne
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast