Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been itchy like a hair trigger to get one of those 8 GB SDHC cards for my 700p and I really don't want to downgrade to 4 GB on the 755p. Heck a 8 GB microSD card would work as well since you could use microSD to miniSD adapters. I was just wondering how many others are out there that feel the same way like me. I want to wait until I know for sure 8GB and higher capacity cards will be out there for use in the 755p before I take that plunge...any thoughts...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    that is the only real deal breaker for me too. but I will bite the bullet as I am sure an 8gb minisd will be out soon. I am getting a 755 as a warranty replacement for my 700 so...
    If it wasn't because we got both of our 755p's for free, I would have not gone to it due to the mini SD. My digital camera (Nikon D50) also uses the regular SD card. It was nice to have everything using the same type of card. Not only that, but I could be out on the road, take a great photo with my camera, load the SD on the Treo, and send it out to anyone via email. Hopefully the 8GB mini SD cards will be out soon.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Since I don't have to run any apps from card on my 755 like I did on my 650 a 4gb card is okay with me. I had a 4gb on my 650 and it was marginal since I had so many apps running from it. Right now I have TomTom Southcentral maps, about 15 hours of mp3's, 3 movies and 3 days of backups and I have about 2gb's left on my 4gb card.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Since I don't have to run any apps from card on my 755 like I did on my 650 a 4gb card is okay with me. I had a 4gb on my 650 and it was marginal since I had so many apps running from it. Right now I have TomTom Southcentral maps, about 15 hours of mp3's, 3 movies and 3 days of backups and I have about 2gb's left on my 4gb card.
    For me...I have all the TOmTom maps installed (USA) which is easily 1GB and then 3-4GB of music which is the MINIMUM I want to have. In addtion you add up all the medical ebooks (skyscape etc) and games apps, not to mention gawd forbid one or two videos and before you know it you 8GB if full to the hilt. 4GB is the barely enough for me now and I really don't want to limited to that capacity any longer...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    For me...I have all the TOmTom maps installed (USA) which is easily 1GB and then 3-4GB of music which is the MINIMUM I want to have. In addtion you add up all the medical ebooks (skyscape etc) and games apps, not to mention gawd forbid one or two videos and before you know it you 8GB if full to the hilt. 4GB is the barely enough for me now and I really don't want to limited to that capacity any longer...

I understand. I had full TomTom U.S. on card and it was 1.4GB. I don't travel cross country like I used to. Now I generally fly to an area, so I can load the maps for that area. For the most part, I keep Bob and Tom's radio shows on my card and listen when I can. So those are rotated out farely frequently to stay current. I don't listen to too many songs. I know the medical ebooks can be quite large. My father-in-law is a nuclear medicine doctor of some kind and keeps all kinds of stuff on his Treo. I helped him with his 650 so he could use larger cards. The 8GB cards would make it more appealing.
    First of all, like another poster said, I would not have come to the 700p if Sprint hadn't warranty upgraded me from my 650. Even still I consider asking for a downgrade back to the 650 until I hit a service area without EVDO and think to myself - "Oh yah, that 1x used to suck."

But that is neither here nor there. My logic about the 755p is to first take my 4gb of music on my 8gb SDHC card and see how small I can get it down to by converting to AAC+ first. Really, there is no need to stick with MP3 anymore; just about every player out there can handle six different formats at minimum. I figure that will allow me to live within the confines of a 4gb card and only then will I consider moving to the 755p. What I find annoying though is that if the rumors about the 800 are true, Palm is going to migrate to microSD at the end of this year. At any rate, perhaps if I procrastinate long enough someone will beat Samsung to the punch on an 8gb microSD card and have an option for us sooner than mid 2008. That would give us a more portable solution as the OP suggested.
    Palm Personal => V => Vx (w/OmniSky) => m505 => Treo 300 => 600 => 650 (free of charge) => 700P (free of charge again!)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mansouan View Post
    What I find annoying though is that if the rumors about the 800 are true, Palm is going to migrate to microSD at the end of this year. At any rate, perhaps if I procrastinate long enough someone will beat Samsung to the punch on an 8gb microSD card and have an option for us sooner than mid 2008. That would give us a more portable solution as the OP suggested.
    That is more a reason than ever to NOT buy a miniSD card and just wait for the 8GB microSD cards to come out. I'm just worried though if the microsd to miniSD adapters will work on the 755p...

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    3-4GB of music?! Dude, get an iPod Nano or 30GB!
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    why would you possibly need that much on a phone? 8 GB? What could take up that much space ?
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    tomtom maps... and I assume a jitload of mp3s
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    why would you possibly need that much on a phone? 8 GB? What could take up that much space ?
    Like I stated before, TomTom takes over 1 GB of space right there. In addition you can easily compile 3GB+ music in a hurry. I use my Treo as my mp3 player in the gym every day and so my music collection is pretty large. Medical ebook are also huge! Skyscape's Taber's dictionary is itself like 70 MB for one book. I have a lot of medical texts plus over like 300+ palmos apps I've collected over the years plus at least a few hundred pics and I would like to keep a couple vids on the device as well. Try to add a few roms for LJP, some large games, tons of pdf's, and other documents and well as a myriad of other apps and you get the picture....

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaver99 View Post
    3-4GB of music?! Dude, get an iPod Nano or 30GB!
    I don't want no stinkin nano!! I have a Treo smartphone...isn't that the whole point of a convergence device?! Eh...to be honest though, I've been tempted to get a Nano but I just don't think I need one with already having a Treo...plus apply fanboys annoy me! Besides look who you're talking to hear dude!!! TC Mod with 7000+ posts?! Yikes...

That is more a reason than ever to NOT buy a miniSD card and just wait for the 8GB microSD cards to come out. I'm just worried though if the microsd to miniSD adapters will work on the 755p...
    I'm using a 1gb microSD in a miniSD adapter in my 755p now, and it works perfectly. Any size micro should work.
    I simply won't upgrade to any non-SD card phone. If this 700p broke down, I probably will buy another one. I have a n800 that can take 2 SD cards and going to get a DSLR as well.

I use my dollar to vote for the SD format. I hate carrying the adopters.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I use my dollar to vote for the SD format. I hate carrying the adopters.
    Yeah, the SD format made too much sense - easy to handle, harder to lose, mature format, affordable and consistent among platforms... of course Palm had to drop it. 4GB is max for the moment in MiniSD, and there seems to be only 1 or two manufacturers at the moment. I'm working on a way to automatically carry that dumb miniSD->SD adapter somewhere in the Treo device (behind the battery?) as I would like the ability to shoot a pic with a REAL camera and then email it off. OH I wish the Bluetooth worked right on the 700p......

If the 4GB are so expensive and hard to find, I'm not holding my breath for any 8GB+ ones anytime soon - the MicroSD 8GB is announced but nowhere near available this year.

I bit the bullet and bought a 4GB MiniSD (the 2GB one was useless with TomTom and Backupman images alongside the usual pap I leave on external media). Since the Treo lacks a standard 3.5mm jack (and I hate those clumsy adapters) I use an iPod for music and audiobooks, etc. Though there's room for a few tunes and movies if I want to show off the *possibility* of the Treo as a multimedia device (if Palm would support it with a standard jack).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I don't want no stinkin nano!! I have a Treo smartphone...isn't that the whole point of a convergence device?! Eh...to be honest though, I've been tempted to get a Nano but I just don't think I need one with already having a Treo...plus apply fanboys annoy me! Besides look who you're talking to hear dude!!! TC Mod with 7000+ posts?! Yikes...
    I can understand not wanting to be limited when there are larger capacity cards out there and the feeling of being set back with the change to miniSD. I used to keep a gig or more music on my Treo and a few movies too. It can be helpful to while ago occasional free time on an otherwise busy call night Ultimately, I found I just didn't listen and watch that stuff enough to influence my decision about a handheld. A few songs and a movie or two are plenty for me. Pics don't take up that much space unless you're keeping full sized images... if so, something like SplashPhoto might help cut a lot of size off those images and still leave them in a nice viewable format. Yes, medical texts do use a lot of room as well, but I trimmed back on junk I just wasn't using... I found I acquired a lot of stuff intending to use it but really only use a few texts about 95% of the time and all the rest gets used very rarely. So, cleaning up my card and keeping only things I was actually using helped a lot. Also, altering my desire to have all the things "I might want" in favor of stuff that was actually worthwhile (what I can live with) helped me trim the fat even more. Of course, MHO only and YMMV. If you do upgrade, I hope you enjoy it!
    According to the 755p Users Guide, it will only handle up to a 4GB miniSD card:

Note: Your Treo device is compatible with miniSD cards with up to 4GB of storage space.
    pg. 253
    I found that converting all of my music from mp3 to ogg virtually tripled the amount of space I have for music. You can lower the bitrate considerably in ogg with no real sound quality degredation.
    I have all my music in ogg files and it sounds great! I have 2GB on one card and 1GB on another one. FreeRip does a great job on conversions and it is free.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast