1.    #1  
    OK.....until recently I had no problems with web usage. Now:

1. every morning, web pages load immediately, including graphics-heavy pages.
    2. every afternoon, and most of the evening, even simple web pages load about one out of 5 attempts. The little triangles turn blue intermittantly, and then I just get a message saying the page download couldn't be completed, try again later.
    3. at the same time I'm having this problem, Slingplayer is working just fine with great speeds.
    4. I never appear to have a problem with SMS or email downloads.

Why would Slingplayer be downloading normally when I can't download web pages? And why would everything be speedy in the morning but not in the afternoon? Is this just the network being overworked in the afternoon and evening? I can't imagine this could be a phone problem, but I am getting irritated since I'm paying for 24 hour unlimited web access, not only in the mornings.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    OK.....until recently I had no problems with web usage. Now:

1. every morning, web pages load immediately, including graphics-heavy pages.
    2. every afternoon, and most of the evening, even simple web pages load about one out of 5 attempts. The little triangles turn blue intermittantly, and then I just get a message saying the page download couldn't be completed, try again later.
    3. at the same time I'm having this problem, Slingplayer is working just fine with great speeds.
    4. I never appear to have a problem with SMS or email downloads.

Why would Slingplayer be downloading normally when I can't download web pages? And why would everything be speedy in the morning but not in the afternoon? Is this just the network being overworked in the afternoon and evening? I can't imagine this could be a phone problem, but I am getting irritated since I'm paying for 24 hour unlimited web access, not only in the mornings.
    I've seen some similar behavior and attribute it to 2 factors:
    1. Too many people and too little bandwidth specific to the tower you are on
    2. Too many people and too little bandwidth on the specific server that you are requesting data from.

A soft-reset a day seems to keep the ##377# away
    Davidra,

I have the exact same problem, and it is everywhere I travel. NY, OH, FL, TX, NC, etc.....

Tech support (no surprise) is zero help and recommended I take it to a store. I was on my way to do that this AM and it was working awesome, no problems at all until about 1pm... Now I can't get any pages to load, yet email and slingplayer, and streaming auio work fine... Doubt its a phone problem... tried resets and the like but no help....

anyone have any ideas?

This is very frustrating!

-Ken
  4.    #4  
    By any chance do you use Chatter? I got a hint from the Chatter site about the possibility of too many of my sockets being tied up. It was suggested I turn the radio off then back on, and that seemed to work. I downloaded a program called ResetNetLib which I think just disconnects everything. I also seemed to get on more easily if Chatter was turned off and disconnected. I will certainly know better today if this is contributing to the problem, since it's the afternoons that are horrible. If it is Chatter, I'm not sure why it would have just started a few weeks ago when I've been using it for 2 months, so I wonder if another app has started using some sockets. I also wonder if the fact that two of my three mailboxes are sleeping early in the morning is the reason I can access the web so easily. Very confusing. I would hate to have to give up Chatter, but I can't get on the web the way things are right now.
    Chatter works better with quicksyncs than it does in online mode, IMO.
  6.    #6  
    Well, I've gotten pretty much nowhere. I have tried the following:
    1. turning the radio on and off
    2. shutting down Chatter and disconnecting, and also tried running it with quicksyncs only.
    3. using Reset Netlib
    4. a hard reset

None got me back on the web with any kind of consistency. I now can download a simple page about one out of ten tries. And I could surf quickly this morning early. Just don't get it, unless the network is conspiring against me......
    have you tried contacting a palm tech? i read somewhere that all webpages are downloaded through Palm's server and adjusted format to work on you treos. i dont know how true this is, however, if it is true it could mean that palms server is experiencing heavy traffic at the time and that would explain why your streaming and slingbox still work at high speeds. Does anyone use a different browser other than Blazer?
  8.    #8  
    I'm pretty sure all web pages are not routed through Palm servers. Does anyone know a way to increase the time that a page attempts to load? I'm getting "Data Timeout" messages. Things also appear to be slightly better today, not based on anything I"m doing, so I'm more and more convinced it's the network.
  9.    #9  
    OK....I did another hard reset and tried the web with no apps. Got the same timeout multiple times. Since it therefore could not be due to any third party apps, I figured I would try another browser, which I've never done before. I downloaded Opera Mini with the Java files, installed them, and I have web access, at exactly the same time that Blazer will not connect.

I have no clue. Blazer worked just fine until about two weeks ago, and now it only works late at night or very early in the morning, while I can get on the web anytime with Opera. The fact that it wouldn't attach even immediately after a hard reset suggests to me it's in the hardware. I can't imagine that Opera would connect if it was the network settings causing the problem. I am befuddled. And I don't like Opera that much either. And I can't send picture mail......wondering if the MR would fix this.....
  10.    #10  
    Not sure if anyone is getting anything out of this extended conversation with myself, but my problem is resolved as of the weekend. This is due to one of two things:

1. Either it just so happened Sprint fixed their horrible network service at the same time, or
    2. I closed and disconnected Chatter and went back to using Versamail.

In any event, my network issues are currently gone.....
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    By any chance do you use Chatter? I got a hint from the Chatter site about the possibility of too many of my sockets being tied up. It was suggested I turn the radio off then back on, and that seemed to work. I downloaded a program called ResetNetLib which I think just disconnects everything. I also seemed to get on more easily if Chatter was turned off and disconnected. I will certainly know better today if this is contributing to the problem, since it's the afternoons that are horrible. If it is Chatter, I'm not sure why it would have just started a few weeks ago when I've been using it for 2 months, so I wonder if another app has started using some sockets. I also wonder if the fact that two of my three mailboxes are sleeping early in the morning is the reason I can access the web so easily. Very confusing. I would hate to have to give up Chatter, but I can't get on the web the way things are right now.
    I get the same slow Blazer page loading even after a hard reset with NO apps installed.