Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    What's the best way to use Reset Doctor???

Can someone post or link me to a post about what the features of this program are??

Auto Backup, Cache Management, etc etc thanks
    Take a tour at http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/reset-doctor-more.php. As a note, I lock the preference file and on the 700p have it set to clear at 4mb and on the 650 to clear at 3mb.

Ben
    I would recommend
    Auto backup: on
    Cache management: on (leave with default settings)
    Crash logging: on
    in other tools:
    clean exchange manager: selected
    lock prefs: NOT selected

that's it.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    You always say that and not locking preferences causes resets...otherwise, not a problem.

As a note, the default cache management does not completely clear the db cache, though it does clear it to a degree must quicker and more frequently.

Ben
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I just tried this app and it crashes my 680 upon launch
    Never had a crash out of it on my 680.

I'm curious.. I use "Clean Exchange Manager" in Butler, and the default in Reset Doctor is also turned on. Would this cause any problems? I generally turn it off in Reset Doctor, but wondering what would happen if I forgot.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    You always say that and not locking preferences causes resets...otherwise, not a problem.

As a note, the default cache management does not completely clear the db cache, though it does clear it to a degree must quicker and more frequently.

Ben
    thanks for your tips here Ben. Previously Id always steered clear of locking prefs in ResetDoctor, but now since having done it, I think my unit has been more stable (not that it was a problem really anyway) and there has been no problem with other application preferences.

it even inspired me to shift a few more apps across into ROM with ROMTool, which again is supposed to increase dbcache instability, but I cant see any reason not to do it if Im not getting any/many crashes in the first place.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Never had a crash out of it on my 680.

I'm curious.. I use "Clean Exchange Manager" in Butler, and the default in Reset Doctor is also turned on. Would this cause any problems? I generally turn it off in Reset Doctor, but wondering what would happen if I forgot.
    I've had it on for both Butler and PrefDoctor/ResetDoctor since the latter was in beta - never a problem. I believe it's the same code as in Butler so I'd guess whichever one was on would run the check.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Yep, either application or both. I now just have it set for Reset Doctor to monitor.

Ben
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon View Post
    I would recommend
    Auto backup: on
    Cache management: on (leave with default settings)
    Crash logging: on
    in other tools:
    clean exchange manager: selected
    lock prefs: NOT selected

that's it.

Can someone confirm this is the best way to set up this program?!? thanks.
    those are the best settings
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Give it a try and see what happens. Locking the preferences, which I do, means those preferences are not immediately updated when changed within the application; they are updated after the application is updated. There are just devices out there that operate better with the preferences locked.

I have spent HOURS on stability issues and this has been a factor in my device's stability - and stable it is.

There are more con's than pro's. The help screen Rob has for that function within Reset Doctor is rather informative.

Give them both a try as I have and make a decision based upon your experience. I lock, others do not.

Ben