1.    #1  
    Anyone know of an e-mail program that is capable of both downloading e-mail from a POP server and syncing with Outlook without changing it's settings? For example, I'd like to set it up to use an account that Outlook already draws mail from. Then, if I downloaded some mail via modem on the Visor in the afternoon, and then synced with Outlook that evening, it would be able to tell which e-mails were already in the Visor inbox and not duplicate them on the handheld.
    In Theory One Touch Mail does this.

In practice it messes lots of things up.

Namely the program doesn't have enough smarts to track that when something is deleted on the desktop, it should be deleted from handheld, whereas it actually transfers the message from the handheld to the desktop.

That would be the best way to describe it, bilateral transfer with some scheme to prevent duplication.

This may have been fixed in later versions, but I can't find any reference to One Touch Mail except OEM connections, i.e. it was bundled with my handspring modem and is bundled with thinmodems, but the tech support for the program is nonresponsive.

Kg
  3.    #3  
    It doesn't look like it does this anymore. It is made by JPMobile, formerly JP Systems, and the latest version (1.9) does not sync with Outlook according to their webpage.
    Try Aileron from www.corsoft.net
    Originally posted by Benm
    Try Aileron from www.corsoft.net
    Looks great, but I can't get anything from the FTP site to download.
    I think you can get it from PalmGear too. It's worth a look.
    I think you can get it from PalmGear too. It's worth a look.
    I think we have a winner! I downloaded Aileron from http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...7&prodID=11467 Palm Gear and installed it.

I was not able to download the Dialtone application. I am a bit confused as to what this does exactly. Do you have / use this Benm?

Using my thinmodem+ and a dial-up, I was able to send POP mail to my hotmail account.

I'm going an a trip tomorrow and Friday and will give this thing a workout. I have been using the One Touch software that came with my Thinmodem+, but it is strictly a POP3 client. Integrating with the Palm mail app AND Outlook is the real way to go. If this works for me, I'll gladly shell out the $30 just for that feature alone.
    I was not able to download the Dialtone application. I am a bit confused as to what this does exactly. Do you have / use this Benm?
    Yes I have Dialtone, but I have yet to use it successfully due to some kind of conflict with Palm Desktop 4.0/Handspring USB Hotsync manager. They're working on this apparently. According to Corsoft..
    "Dialtone allows you to get/send mail from any PC connected to the Internet, be it your PC, a co-workers, or some public portal, like an airport kiosk, without leaving any hotsync data on the PC."

To sync with Outlook 2000 you need the "MyPC" conduit (which I think is part of the .zip from PalmGear). I don't use Outlook myself, so I can't help you here. I just use the Palm mail conduit to transfer my inbox from Outlook Express, which I can then reply to using Aileron/Mobile phone when I'm away from home.

Hope this helps,
    Ben

To sync with Outlook 2000 you need the "MyPC" conduit (which I think is part of the .zip from PalmGear).
    No, it is not included.

I dropped a message to Coresoft about the ftp site. Here is the reply:

Yes - there has been a mistake - the FTP access port has been shut off which is prohibiting access to files. Pardon the inconvenience - we expect the site to be operational in 24 hours.
    I am confused on one other point: I keep seeing mention of a service of some sort. Do you pay a fee to use Aileron, or is that something else?

I assume that there must be some sort of service as the software does not let you specify a SMTP server, only the POP3.

Thanks so much for all your help.
    Okay, does anyone have a thinmodem or thinmodem plus that they bought recently.

Like I was saying, I have One Touch 2.0 (as in comes after 1.9, the website says 1.9 does not, which is true) and it does synch with outlook but not very well. 2.1 exists in theory, as in thinmodem seems to acknowledge it being the version it ships

I suspect that jpmobile either has completely dropped support for this product or only supports it OEM.

anyhow anybody actually knwo what jp(whoever) is up to?

Kg
    I am confused on one other point: I keep seeing mention of a service of some sort. Do you pay a fee to use Aileron, or is that something else?
    Well spotted. It's a $30 annual subscription
    Originally posted by kgruscho
    Okay, does anyone have a thinmodem or thinmodem plus that they bought recently.

Like I was saying, I have One Touch 2.0 (as in comes after 1.9, the website says 1.9 does not, which is true) and it does synch with outlook but not very well. 2.1 exists in theory, as in thinmodem seems to acknowledge it being the version it ships

I suspect that jpmobile either has completely dropped support for this product or only supports it OEM.

anyhow anybody actually knwo what jp(whoever) is up to?

Kg
    Yes, I have a Thinmodem+ that came with One-Touch 2.01

I have never seen it sync with anything. It just acts as a regular POP3 client. The Aileron acts as a POP3 client and syncs the contents of the app to Outlook or Palm Desktop the next time you hot sync. The reason I want this, is when I get back to the office after a couple days on the road, when I fire up Outlook, I don't end up with a billion unread messages in my Inbox. If I have deleted the message on the Visor, when I hot sync, it deletes it on the desktop too.
    If you're not married to Outlook as your pop mail client, you may consider Eudora. It has it's own desktop mail client and Palm pop mail client. It will allow both direct mail downloading to your Visor as well as syncing with the desktop product.

I don't sync email personally, but if I did, I wouldn't use Outlook as it is sooooo bulky.
    Originally posted by flips13
    The reason I want this, is when I get back to the office after a couple days on the road, when I fire up Outlook, I don't end up with a billion unread messages in my Inbox. If I have deleted the message on the Visor, when I hot sync, it deletes it on the desktop too.
    Can't you do the same thing with MultiMail Pro 3.1?
    MANY BLESSINGS!
    Peace and Every Good!

Michael W. Cristiani
    mcristia@fuse.net
    Originally posted by mcristia

Can't you do the same thing with MultiMail Pro 3.1?
    I don't know. I have not tried it yet.

I just took a look at MultiMail on Palm Gear and was reading the reviews, every one on the front page had something negative to say! I'll steer clear for the moment and give Aileron a try for a few days.
    Last edited by flips13; 05/03/2001 at 08:11 AM.