Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just saw the announcement for this on infosyncworld. Apparently, a company called Shape Services is releasing a skype client for Palm OS. Haven't tried it yet, but it might be worth a look if you use skype a lot. Here is the url: http://www.shapeservices.com/en/prod...&platform=palm
    Wow, thanks! I am going to try it now.

I used iskoot, EQO, and both are just okay. iskoot allowed me to use data plan to call Skypeout calls, but was realllllllly slow.

EQO is just a pain to use, and you have to leave the computer on, running Skype.

Hopefully this app will be better than iskoot or EQO.
    I have tested this product for some time today...seems to handle chats much better than iSkoot. Voice connections seem much more clear and stable compared to iSkoot. Will test some more....

Cheers
    This Skype client is a lot better than iSkoot or EQO.

When you call someone on Skype, the other side will ring, and after they pick up, there will be a small message telling them not to hang up. Meanwhile, IM+ Skype client will call your phone and after you pick up the call, then both callers are connected on Skype.

I believe this uses Skypeout minutes for every kind of call, since you have to wait until they call you back on your cell number before you and the Skype contact can connect.

However, this is the closest thing to a real Skype client on Palm OS. It's also fast, stable, and works well in background mode. The only complaint I have is the fact that you have to wait for IM+ to call you back on your cellphone. Sometimes it will take longer than expected and the whole process is not very smooth, but most of the time, everything just works.

I've tested this on a 650, gonna test on a 680 later tonite...
    wow, this is an awesome find. I've been wanting to try skype with my mobile!

Thanks for the link, Pedja!
    bouncing off the top of this cloud. I'll be on VIRB.
    Interesting...I've had success with iSkoot but I will try this as well....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Tried this out with my Treo 650. Sounds great except for the delay.
    It's weird that this app didn't receive too much attention! It works great.

I thought there were a bunch of threads on Skype and why there wasn't one for the Palm OS.

This is getting me worried. Now that I know this works well with my Treo, I may have to look at the different Skype plans which translates to committed $ from my budget.

I need to ask for raise.
    Sounds like a bad imitation of Mino Wireless for the Treo

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 06/24/2007 at 01:32 AM.
    This seems like a nice workaround, but is still NOT a true skype client for PalmOS since it does not actually use the data on the device to make a skype connection and still uses a third party to dial a connection unlike the skype client found on WM. THe main defect in this is that you have to give you info to some third party and that you have to use you minutes to dial in our out.... Nice solution though overall...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yea, it kinda sucks that you have to use Skypeout minutes. But it's cool that you can finally use Skype reliably!

This is completely different from Mino Wireless, and it works better. Did you even use this yet, or jumping to conclusions? I've used all the Skype clients, including this one.

This one is by far the best. Don't confuse people! No, I don't work for them.
    It also appears to interfere with scheduled alarms (NVBackup, other alarms etc), when in BM (Background Mode).

Anybody else can confirm this?

- mvk
    Game over!
    I have enough programs running in the background, I did not enable Background mode.

Besides I only use skype mostly for international calls I initiate and text messaging. This one does not support the skype sms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Sounds like a bad imitation of Mino Wireless for the Treo

Al
    Thanks for correcting that one, I was searching but could not find what you stated Minu (I think) originally.

Is the quality of connection is better with Mino, like when you are calling like Vietnam or Malaysia?
    How much often do pay for Mino? The amount of plans and duration are not clearly stated on the site (I am comparing against Skype plans).
    Do they have non-Java based software?
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling View Post
    Yea, it kinda sucks that you have to use Skypeout minutes. But it's cool that you can finally use Skype reliably!
    Yeah quality seem decent even with the delay...but the having to use skypeout for every call is ridiculous!

You do NOT have to do that with iSkoot. Even when the person you call is on a pc skype client, you only use your mobile plan minutes on the Treo which is often unlimited on NW. With IM+ you have to use SkypeOUT to call back your Treo...that is unacceptable imo. I rather use iSkoot which absolutely FREE for calling users on pc skype clients on nights/weekends. THe call quality may be a bit worse but I rather have that then using my SkypeOut all the time...

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Just wondering will it use skypeout minutes if you have that unlimited US/Canada calling plan from skype? Otherwise using skypeout minutes for every call kind of kills it I think.
    Yes, it dings you on both sides of the call as you can see on my call history with Skype (sorry if the columns does not line up):

Your SkypeOut Calls
    Date Number Destination Type Rate/min. Duration Price*
    Jun 24 03:50 +1xxxxxxxxxx USA Call 0,017 02:57 0,090
    Jun 24 03:50 +63917xxxxxxx Philippines - Mobile Call 0,202 02:56 0,645

It does offer another choice. Knowledge of what gets charged to your account is important to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Yeah quality seem decent even with the delay...but the having to use skypeout for every call is ridiculous!
    When you call any contact via Skype, IM+ for Skype Software redirects the call back to you.

Why does our application work in such a way?

IM+ for Skype Software uses SkypeOut to transfer voice data over this wireless network. In this way the call quality is much better than when you use VoIP. So VoIP would generate much traffic and would not guarantee good call quality, whereas communications through SkypeOut generates little data traffic and provides a quality conversation.

Another important reason for callback model is that we, as always, focus on supporting as many mobile platforms as possible. For example, currently IM+ for Skype Software works on Blackberries and Java phones, where VoIP is impossible to implement. For the owners of those handsets there's not that many options to use Skype.

How you can save more using our application?

We recommend you to use Skype Unlimited http://support.skype.com/index.php for USA and Canada.

Another tip:
    You can enter any landline number (it can be the phone number of a friend you came to visit, or even a phone number of a local restaurant) in the Call Back field in IM+ and the call will be forwarded to the number you indicate.
    SkypeOut tariffs to landlines and mobiles are different and in most cases calling to mobile is much more expensive than calling to landlines.

You can find more information about call rates here: http://www.shapeservices.com/en/prod...bb&page=saveim

Alexandra
    SHAPE Support Team
    SHAPE Services
    www.shapeservices.com
    Quote Originally Posted by cl191 View Post
    Just wondering will it use skypeout minutes if you have that unlimited US/Canada calling plan from skype? Otherwise using skypeout minutes for every call kind of kills it I think.
    Using our application you will not be charged for the calls within the US and Canada even if you are calling from another countries.

Alexandra
    SHAPE Support Team
    SHAPE Services
    www.shapeservices.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast