Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How to free RAM on Treo 680?

Iam a newbie in this Treo world, and im carving for help from u pips..

Here's the situation:
    Everytime i open some series of application, all i do to exit each application is to press the phone button. I have observe this wen after closing those series of application, when i open my camera n about to take a picture, it says "unable to perform action, low memory".... I have tot that it eats up RAM usage.. all i have to do for now is to soft reset my Phone.

Question is:
    1. How do i gracefully exit an application (especially application that eats up more RAM like Bejeweld_2 or Solitaire maybe) that automatically returns and free RAM, returning it to the RAM pool?

2. If there is no way to gracefully exit an application then, Is there an application (Preferably a freeware ) that frees RAM or restores RAM to the normal level w/o a soft reset?

Anticipating for you Reesponse..
    Thank u so much in advance!!
    just hit the applications button or home button, that's the default Palm OS exit button.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    There's no problem with how you are 'exiting' programs. I think your ram is simply full of pictures, videos, music, programs, whatever.

You need to move some of it to your SD card.
    Treo RAM is not like Computer RAM.

Check your Treo memory usage and let us know what amount you have free.
    The camera application allows you to select a location on the card to save photos to and it even allows you to create new folders. That is an option worth looking at. You can also COPY pictures to the card and afterwards delete them from the device's main memory.

Minimize the use of device based ring tones. There are ring tone managers that allow you to use external files.

A good third party launcher will give you the ability to move files to the card and launch them from there - Zlauncher is an excellent one and there are others like Initiate and LauncherX.

Ben
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    There's no problem with how you are 'exiting' programs. I think your ram is simply full of pictures, videos, music, programs, whatever.

You need to move some of it to your SD card.
    This is all you need to do. 680's got a lot of space for applications. you don't need a new launcher or anything.

You just need a SD card (maybe $20) and save your pictures and music there.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  7.    #7  
    well, u see, i use a 2GB SD card and all my pics and videos are in the SD card as well as those other Application.. theres a lot of free RAM on my cp, actually it reads at 56mb free out of 69mb.. so basically wat had hapen back den? y did it loose or luck of memory space to perform the camera application?

Hope to read a reply from u guys soon..

Tnx den..
    You do NOT have 69m of ram in your 680, so you're looking in the wrong spot, probably looking at the free ram on the SD card.

You need to see how much ram is free on your Treo itself. Go to your launcher and hit Menu-D. That launches the "Delete" function, but within it says your free space on the phone.
    I have 43.6M free of 66M...
    I only have 25mb of 66mb free...
    I have 22.2.

Chris
  12.    #12  
    i got mine at 55.6 of 69mb... so hows dat? y did it hang on the camera having a not enough space to perform action? in fact ders a lot of space in the memory?

thnx..
    A lot of space if you do not have many third party applications. Mine is used for business, hence I have applications such as Documents To Go, MobiSystems, ChatterEmail, HanDBase and a number of others. I have 26.4mb available.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    You do NOT have 69m of ram in your 680, so you're looking in the wrong spot, probably looking at the free ram on the SD card.

You need to see how much ram is free on your Treo itself. Go to your launcher and hit Menu-D. That launches the "Delete" function, but within it says your free space on the phone.

How do you work that out?

The 680 DOES have 69mb of RAM

Menu-D tells me I have 47.7M out of 69M opps
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  15.    #15  
    i had 3rd party application but i installed mos of them in my memory card, i have a NOAH dictionary, Bejeweld 2, text twist, minitones, Zuma, PDF viewer, installed on my SD card, that why i have a lot of space on my RAM.. BDW, i got a 2GB space on the SD..
    Quote Originally Posted by cjvitek View Post
    I have 22.2.

Chris
    LOL! That's almost the amount of usable space on the 650. I have 6.3 of 23.7 available on my 650, so I think we're all okay with space on our 680s
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    How do you work that out?

The 680 DOES have 69mb of RAM

Menu-D tells me I have 47.7M out of 69M opps
    Well, I'm pretty sure that the 680 has 64M available to the user, soo.. Odd everyone is seeing 66, 69m.. I just looked at mine, and it says 66.

Strange.
    I always found it odd that mine always reported 66M available when Palm states it only has 64M. I'd never get anywhere near 64M used, so I don't really pay attention. With the 650, every meg counts...
    I'm down to 15 Mb myself
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    My UK treo states 69M
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pulster; 06/22/2007 at 08:34 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast