Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Wow. I saw the "dbscan" program mentioned earlier in this thread. Gee, I wonder who makes this free program?
    Yeah, "Use our competitor's utility to work around the bugs we refuse or don't understand how to fix! Take that, paying customer! Bwahahahaha!"
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I've been a DateBk user for several years now but decided to use this update of Agendus for a first trial. Didnt have any problems with resets, speed, bugs etc, in fact I found it surprisingly smooth, especially considering it ran my RAM down to 2MB. Also, in terms of software clutter, my 650 is about as removed from pristine as possible.

But I couldnt find anything compelling enough to make me pay up for a shift away from DB. I didnt find its Month view as good as DB's, but I did like it Quarterly view with the days info in the bottom RH corner. I was surprised at how minimal some of its options were- in particular Trip and Project - why bother wasting RAM for features that are so limited?

Maybe if I didnt have DB I would trial it more exhaustively to learn more of its secrets, but for now, it's been consigned to the good care of UninstallManager.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    Yeah, "Use our competitor's utility to work around the bugs we refuse or don't understand how to fix! Take that, paying customer! Bwahahahaha!"
    Come now, let's keep the conversation at an adult level.

dbscan really isn't all that good but it has helped a few. I've suggested that iambic write a better one. Does someone think I did not know that it was authored by DateBk?
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    Come now, let's keep the conversation at an adult level.

dbscan really isn't all that good but it has helped a few. I've suggested that iambic write a better one. Does someone think I did not know that it was authored by DateBk?
    It's just funny, that's all. And while we are talking about keeping this on an adult level, please start being honest about the quality issues Iambic has, which are chronic and you know it. Look at the forum and all the issues with v12. And I'm boycotting submitting any more bugs because it's Iambic's job, not the end user's.
    There's a Dilbert I wish I'd saved.. Basically goes like this:

Dilbert: We can't ship the product, look at this list of bugs!
    *Dilbert unrolls long sheet*

Pointy Haired Boss: Move them to the "Future Development" column.
    *Dilbert shakes his head and leaves*

Pointy Haired Boss: Half this job is figuring out what to name things!
  6.    #26  
    It's just funny, that's all. And while we are talking about keeping this on an adult level, please start being honest about the quality issues Iambic has, which are chronic and you know it. Look at the forum and all the issues with v12. And I'm boycotting submitting any more bugs because it's Iambic's job, not the end user's.
    I've pretty well spelled out the environment and difficulties faced. Some can understand and appreciate this and some can't . . . or refuse to!
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    I've pretty well spelled out the environment and difficulties faced. Some can understand and appreciate this and some can't . . . or refuse to!
    That is CRAP. They need to pay for QA like a proper developer should, they do not have a quality product, period. It is buggy, has been for a long time, and will be so until they change their practices. I work in QA, I know what they should do. My company does consulting and training for companies like Iambic and let me tell you, their quality SUCKS. They do nothing right when it comes to QA. That is just the honest truth. You DON'T rely on public beta testers for functional testing. It is clear to me that they as a group did not methodically test their code. So many obvious bugs would have been caught and fixed, they would never have even made it to the public beta let alone the released version! These aren't bugs that are a result of a dirty environment either, they happen whenever you use the product. They likely don't have a test plan or test cases, if they do it is inadequate. If they have a QA manager he should be FIRED.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I could totally understand this if they were a shareware developer like shsh, but for a commercial company it is unacceptable. People should be forewarned of the quality issues before buying from Iambic.
    They need to pay for QA like a proper developer should,...
    They do.
    they do not have a quality product, period.
    The mass of our customer base says differently.
    I work in QA, I know what they should do.
    Congratulations! Is it for a Palm OS software company?
    They do nothing right when it comes to QA. That is just the honest truth.
    And how do you know what goes on QA-wise internally at iambic?
    You DON'T rely on public beta testers for functional testing.
    Neither do we. There were months of pre-public beta testing done. When we released the public beta, we knew there were still items to be addressed. The reason we put it out there was to test the waters for the 1000's of variable user environments to see how things react.
    It is clear to me that they as a group did not methodically test their code.
    Simply untrue.
    If they have a QA manager he should be FIRED.
    That would be me. Maybe you should make this recommendation. Do you have any idea the staff size of iambic?

In closing, I can't help but take this post extremely personal (since I'm the worthless QA guy) Believe it or not, we strive daily to make a quality product, and that is our top priority. There are few PalmOS products (except the other PIM apps) that do what Agendus does. Add to that the multitude of features that AGP has that the others don't.

I'm not making excuses for missed bugs or fixes that didn't make the final release, as I don't determine the release date/time, but your slams here make me sad, and I'm truly sorry that you Agendus and iambic as a whole are not meeting your expectations.
    -Michael
    iambic, Inc.
    www.iambic.com
    I am sick and tired of the whining and *****ing about bugs and what a poor product it is and what Iambic should be doing. Take all of this somewhere else.
    Either don't use the product or provide CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions as to what could be improved. And just because your suggestions are not acted on in a timely fashion or perhaps at all does not mean the company is crap.

The product is provided with a free trial, either drop it after the trial if you don't like it or buy it and accept it with whatever warts and blemishes you perceive it to have. Any software is always a work in progress, or should be and will probably never be finished.

I bought Agendus a year ago and loved the product. Yes there were things I wished were different but I accepted that. The new version has some great new features for me, very nice, and I was looking to pay for the upgrade right away.

Good for you Iambic, keep up the good work.
    QA is expensive, both in schedule and in money. Nobody does enough QA except medical and safety-cricital applications. They simply can't afford to.

You take a risk assessment. If we ship this product, will it affect the majority of our customers, or will we get a managable amount of bugs/unhappy folks which we can work to satisfy? I bet Agendus has met that risk.

One thing I'm not impressed with is the fact that it seems that many upgrades between v11 and v12 require a reset of the preferences. That's really unacceptable in my opinion. A handful of folks are getting crashes in the button assignments preference, but compared to the userbase it's likely a small number. And in the end, I suspect it's some configuration difference.

I'll guess that Agendus has 4-5 developers, perhaps not that many. Most likely 2-3 QA folks. Both sets are likely distributed between projects, such as Agendus for Palm, Agendus for Windows, Agendus for Windows Mobile, etc.
    mcapehart, I believe this thread is about the office agendus, but I have a question about your Email SSL edition. I tried the free download for my corporate exchange email. I had 2 reasons for uninstalling it, and returning to Versamail. I could not find where to set it for active sync "push", nor could I access our corporate exchange global address book. I liked agendus overall much better than VM. However without these 2 features, it will not work for me. My question after this long diatribe, is does the software have these 2 features, and I was to stupid to find them? Or, were these not included? Thanks
    Matty
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Hi Michael,

Sorry for being so harsh on you, but quality at Iambic is bad from my experience. This may not be your fault, and I'm sorry for unloading on you personally. I guess what you guys find acceptable release quality I consider beta quality, and comments all over the web reflect my view, I'm definitely not alone. You don't have a reputation for having a stable product. What steps are you taking to improve that?

That pre-beta testing: was that through the volunteer/free builds forum force or do you have paid testers on staff?

Anyway, regarding Palm software, I've worked with Palm, Handspring, Symbol, and my company also worked with Tapwave though I wasn't involved. The first Palm I encountered was actually during testing. My wife was part of the recent round of layoffs at Palm. I'm not sure what working specifically on Palm software has to do with anything though.

The v12 release is buggy. You can't be happy about that. You as the QA manager should have some say whether something can be released. If you don't then that sucks for you. You should have the power to hold up the release until at least the most significant issues are resolved.
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    mcapehart, I believe this thread is about the office agendus, but I have a question about your Email SSL edition. I tried the free download for my corporate exchange email. I had 2 reasons for uninstalling it, and returning to Versamail. I could not find where to set it for active sync "push", nor could I access our corporate exchange global address book. I liked agendus overall much better than VM. However without these 2 features, it will not work for me. My question after this long diatribe, is does the software have these 2 features, and I was to stupid to find them? Or, were these not included? Thanks
    Matty,

As far as I recall, Agendus Mail does not [yet] support push.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster View Post
    Matty,

As far as I recall, Agendus Mail does not [yet] support push.
    Nope, I just got Chatter because for push. Agendus Mail also formats mail strange from my company's exchange server. Lots of '=' signs everywhere, I don't think it renders HTML/richtext correctly.
    "dbscan really isn't all that good but it has helped a few."

Is there something better out there?

"I've suggested that iambic write a better one."

How much do you think they wouls charge for it?

"Does someone think I did not know that it was authored by DateBk?"

Well....

Maybe I should've asked, "How much $ for the alpha"?
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post

Maybe I should've asked, "How much $ for the alpha"?
    $39.95
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post
    I still am bothered by the upgrade(Bug fix) charge. I agree with others, they should first fix the bugs, then release enhancements at a charge if they wanted to screw customers.
    Because of the reputation of Iambic of fixing bugs in the next upgrade (don't know if this is actually the case though), I am still with V9.06 and happy about it.

John
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brjlk View Post
    Because of the reputation of Iambic of fixing bugs in the next upgrade (don't know if this is actually the case though), I am still with V9.06 and happy about it.

John
    You must have an older device. If so, you are probably best to stay there. It was v10.x timeframe that Palm rolled out their NVFS mememory management solution that includes dbCache, and developers like iambic had to do some serious code change. I think with v12 of Agendus iambic has addressed most of the anomalies of the Palm NVFS system, thus the huge performance improvement. Hats off (as a customer) to iambic for this!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast