Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Forgive me if this has been posted, but I *did* do a search and didn't see anything.
    I'm on my 2nd 755 because the first one kept doing the "phone updater" thing, freezing, causing me to remove the battery, etc..literally 10 minutes round trip on this situation disallowing very important phone calls/emails, etc. On that unit, when I used speakerphone, I was unable to "cancel" speakerphone. The cancel button didn't work. I assumed it was just the entire unit being faulty, so didn't think much of it when I got the new one, except the new one does the same thing. When I wait on hold for Sprint support (which, as we know, can be many minutes ) I put the phone on speaker. Last night, I waited for 15 minutes and couldn't take the phone off of speaker. Same problem, different unit.

Has anyone else had this happen or would anyone be willing to check for me? From what I can tell, the speakerphone can be canceled within the first 2 minutes of a call, after that, you're on perma-speakerphone.

Please don't berate me if this has already been posted

Bek
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    Well, my guess would be, if the SAME thing is happening to both units, it's not the unit, it's something you've installed on the unit. Did you upgrade from another TREO or Palm? If so, did you run the install CD for the new phone BEFORE you hot synced it? Try a hard reset and see if anything happens like that to the phone before you restore anything. My first 755 only had a rapidly discharging battery and my 2nd has been the most stable phone I've ever had.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    No problems on my 755 with releasing the speakerphone. I was also on hold for Sprint yesterday and it relased after the 15 minute wait without a problem. I did have the Vision updater issue. It would continue to fail and try again and again .... I finally forced it to do an update via the ##DATA# screen and the problem went away.

Paul
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Well, my guess would be, if the SAME thing is happening to both units, it's not the unit, it's something you've installed on the unit. Did you upgrade from another TREO or Palm? If so, did you run the install CD for the new phone BEFORE you hot synced it? Try a hard reset and see if anything happens like that to the phone before you restore anything. My first 755 only had a rapidly discharging battery and my 2nd has been the most stable phone I've ever had.
    You know that's actually a simple way I could have tested the speakerphone problem and I didn't even think of it. I'll do it today. Thanks!

Bek
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I had a similar experience with the speakerphone after pairing a Plantronics Voyager 510 with the 755p. Deleting the headset from the BT trusted devices and resetting fixed the problem. I confirmed that this was the issue by pairing the 510 again with the same results. These Treos sure are touchy.
    ya mine glitches aswell..

today.. great example 45 minutes on hold with a company.. i was switching back and forth from speaker to handset.. to be polite..
    and it stopped switching..
    other calls it will do this right away...

if i have bluetooth on.. even if its not to be routed.. and on a call every minute or so it routes to headset.. i finaly found only turn bluetooth on when i want it..

for my first activated Treo i am not impressed with this thing.. exept the voice quality i can hear a pin drop again and they can hear on my end..
    Mine did it too so I don't think it is just your unit. I'm not going to post all of my 3rd party apps (not that there are that many of them), but I am not so sure that is the culprit. I think if there is a fair amount of time of inactivity it can't seem to get it off of the speakerphone.
    I think the other problem may be phone technician which I use to turn off the screen and when I woke the Treo or turned the screen back on it would not change from speaker to earpiece.
    But, in short, I have had this problem too. I just don't use the speakerphone enough to really have to deal with it.
    I'm having the same issue on my 755p. No software installed that should ostensibly affect that, I made sure I didn't transfer VolumeCare over when I moved from a 650. On hold with Sprint now, will see what they say.

--A
    mine does this as well. i called up sprint cs thru speakerphone and over 15 minutes i finally got a rep so I try to switch back and it won't switch back. it will literally STAY ON SPEAKERPHONE which is so annoying! i think this is a really bad thing. how many people have this same problem?
    diane
    After all the problems I had with my previous 700P, I now feel that there are several basic issues that causes the problems I see posted on the forums.

First, there's the possibility that its due to poor quality control, and I wouldn't want to minimize the possibility that this may be the problem. This is especially true in the early stages of production.

I also feel that the products manufactured by today's worldwide sources, in such huge numbers, are more and more prone to problems.

Second, there's the possibility of design problems. With Palm, as well as other companies, the number of complaints about the implementation or even about some important features haven't been implemented, lead me to feel that the designers often miss the boat.

What I look to last are the user caused issues. I know from my own experience that quite a few of the 3rd party applications that I tried out were the source of my problems.

After suffering crash after crash, putting the Treo back to its default, out of the box condition eliminated the problems I was having.

I am now very cautious about adding anything new to my 755, which has been working perfectly since I got it.

My suggestion, and I'm sure this is nothing new to most, is to do a hard reset to bring your 755 back to its out of the box condition. Then, use it in that state for a long enough to tell if there is still a problem. If there is, well, you have a defective unit. If the problem is gone, add whatever app you want, one at a time. Use it for a while before you add anything else, until you can isolate the app that causes the issue. Pretty basic, huh?

As I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

GeneL
    Because of free nights and weekend and/or mobile to mobile I just tested using my old 650 and my new 755 (which is a different line/number). Even after 25 minutes I had no problem switching between speaker phone and not-speaker phone.

HOWEVERR I noticed something new and disturbing...which I'll search the forums for and play with the program...BUT...

I have KBLightsOff on my 755p and during a call, if the lights are off, THEY TURN BACK ON, when the phone dims the screens from being on a call after a little while! When not on a call, when the phone automatically turns the screen totally off, everything is fine.

It is just during a call when the phone DIMS the screen, that I guess it sends a command to dim the keyboard lights too...and they go from OFF->DIM

However when the call ends and the screen goes back to BRIGHT/Normal use the keyboard lights DO turn off again!

Weird!...
    Last edited by Atif; 07/01/2007 at 10:58 PM. Reason: more experimenting...
    Well, since there are at least three of us with the speakerphone issue, why don't we bite the bullet and list third party apps and see what common denominators there are, so we can sort out if it's a hardware, firmware, or add-on issue?

I'll go first, although I should be in bed! That should make it easier since, if it is one program causing it for all of us, the rest of you can just post which of these you also have, if any :-)

2dial
    AgConnect/AvantGo (build 3044 is finally playing nice for me, and as I just added this, I'm sure this has nothing to do with the speakerphone issue, since that existed before I reinstaled AG)
    Blocks
    Bonsai
    Call Log (mini app from Hobbyist to launch the log)
    Chatter
    Colorize
    DateBk6
    dbScan
    DeletePIMs
    DiddleBug
    Dir Assist
    FileZ
    Fix Databases (from Hobbyist)
    Font Smoother
    Genius!
    Holiday USA
    IconMgr
    Initiate
    KeyCaps600
    KeyGTime+ (anybody have a version that works fully on the 755, while I"m at it? The one I've got works mostly, but tells me it won't, doesn't suppress the system keyguard display, and sometimes sticks)
    MetrO
    Metronome
    Missed Calls (another Hobbyist mini app)
    Missing Sync
    NVBackup
    PalmVNC
    Reset Doctor
    Rigging Calculator
    RingCare
    SplashMoney
    Stopwatch
    X-Man
    Andy, when I saw your lengthy list of apps my jaw dropped.

Getting back to my last post, have you ever just done a hard reset to completely clear all the apps you have added, to then see if the speaker problem disappeared?

To my way of thinking it makes more sense to establish that, rather than to try to find common denominators with others. There may be more than one app causing the problem. I know it's a long process, but I feel that the straightforward path to a solution is to add the apps, one at a time until your 755 repeats the speaker problem.

Even if you find common apps, you won't know if the problem is just one or a combination of them until you take the basic steps I'm suggesting. If you do find a common set, I'd do a hard reset and then add the apps one at a time until you experience the problem. Then I'd remove the apps that you installed prior to the last one that produced the problem one at a time to see if the problem goes away.

Do any of my thoughts make sense to you? I had to do basically the same thing with my MacPro. I had to do an erase and clean install on one of my hard drives to see if my problem was software related before having to go through a prolonged process of removing all my RAM and reinstalling it one pair at a time and then checking the individual slots if the prior steps didn't turn up a culprit. Fortunately, it was a software problem, which I eliminated in much the same manner that I'm suggesting for you.

Andy, I don't give advice. I just share my ideas with the thought that they might assist others. I'm sure there's a solution for you.

GeneL
    Agreed Gene, although while I listed them all for completeness, the vast majority of those don't run in the background, and are 99.9% likely to have nothing to do with the problem. If we can find common denominators and narrow the list, it's a lot easier to delete apps until the problem goes away then to throw the baby out with the bathwater and start clean, especially since it's a problem that doesn't happen every time, and that requires finding somebody I can call for 15-20 minutes on speakerphone to test it!

If need be, I'm not opposed to hard resetting and starting from clean, but with how hard this problem is to troubleshoot, if there's an easier way to find the problem, I'm all for it.

--A
    Andy I have a feeling it's not the apps causing this problem at all. Reason why I say this is because the problem happened even before I started putting apps on it. These are the ones I have: CityID, Font Smoother, Toccer, PalmEKG, ECG, MegaTip, TealInfo, TCPMP, Bug Me Notepad and KBLightsOff. You think maybe we have a defective unit? I'd really hate to get a replacement because this is the only major problem I have with my 755 and I'd be worried of getting another unit that may be 'buggier'.
    diane
    I don't use the speakerphone enough for this particular bug to bother me (I work in healthcare and therefore the majority of my conversations can't be broadcasted for the world to hear).
    Plus, as you just mentioned, I don't want to trade my one bug in for three when I get a different unit. I read on the forums with someone having this problem or that and usually when I try to reproduce the problem I am okay or without their mentioned bug. Sooooo I will stick with the speakerphone that I have.
    Now if the double tone bug that a bigger majority of us have were able to be swapped out and gotten rid of, that would be another story.....
    Andy and Diane, I can see how you feel the way you do because I went through the same kind of frustration with my 700P.

The thing is, that when you read all the posts about problems on these forums you get the impression that your model is widely flawed. I don't think that this is necessarily true. I doubt that the majority of Treo users even go online, so the comments we see are more than not from a minority. They are owners who are searching for answers like yourselves. This gives a false impression that a large number of the Treos are defective.

I can only say that, so far, my 755 has been trouble free and I would encourage Andy to do the hard reset to see if the basic configuration has the same problem. The Treo can be brought back to your previous setup by using the backup so everything won't require reinstallation.

If you still have the problem get a replacement, The chances are better than not that you will be fine after that. Same for you, Diane.

As I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

GeneL
    Oh, I completely agree with you, Gene, I'm just trying to balance the practicality of what a PITA it is to do the hard reset (again--see below) and to test for an issue that only shows up 15 min into a speakerphone call with the possibility that we might run into an obvious solution by communicating and finding that common denominator. And then there's Diane's experience above with a factory fresh 755 that seems to suggest that it is a hardware/firmware issue.

That said, I had the reset loops on mine when I first got it, and did take the time to do the hard reset and eliminations, and did successfully find the program(s) that were causing it. So I certainly know where you're coming from and don't disagree!

--A
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Leviss View Post
    Oh, I completely agree with you, Gene, I'm just trying to balance the practicality of what a PITA it is to do the hard reset (again--see below) and to test for an issue that only shows up 15 min into a speakerphone call with the possibility that we might run into an obvious solution by communicating and finding that common denominator. And then there's Diane's experience above with a factory fresh 755 that seems to suggest that it is a hardware/firmware issue.

That said, I had the reset loops on mine when I first got it, and did take the time to do the hard reset and eliminations, and did successfully find the program(s) that were causing it. So I certainly know where you're coming from and don't disagree!

--A
    Andy, I really hate to say this, but sometimes there is no "easy" solution. Personally, I feel that all the Treos are a bit schizoid and will always have strange little "moments" that seem unexplainable. At least the 755 has been a more reliable model compared with the terrible 700P.

I have experienced only a few brief resets. These were due to some touchscreen taps that Opera Mini didn't like for some unknown reason. I mention this because I still feel that 3rd party apps are more to blame for problems than the Treo itself. Other than the problem with Opera it has been very reliable.

Andy, one reason I feel that bringing your Treo back to "stock condition" would be a good idea, is that if you find that something is still wrong, you'll be able to tell Sprint that you've done this. I know that this is what they'll ask you. Based on this you should be able to get it replaced. In most cases, starting fresh should cure your problems.

GeneL
    GeneL,

That is funny you mentioned that your resets came from Opera because that is what causes my 755p to reset. No other app but opera does that. It got so frustrating that I just deleted it off of my treo. Sure I'd love to have Opera again but I like my 755 reset free.
    diane
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast